advertisement

Do network switches die ?

7.5mbps is not exactly that fast anyway?
Its good enough for most things. People confuse 'speed' with throughput and they are not the same thing. The figures quoted are a clock speed i.e. the rate at which the data is clocked from your MODEM to the roadside cabinet where you'll be put into contention with other users and they all share that same bandwidth. A faster speed does not always translate into a better service.

Its only when you go into Full HD TV and the like that the higher speeds are required.

e.g. For HD TV BBC iPlayer needs 2.8Mbps and Netfix 5Mbps.

Cheers,

DV

One thing to watch on the Netgear units is their internal capacitors.

I fished a 16 port unit out of the electrical recycling bin at work one day and it was said to be not working any more. Sure enough, I plugged it in and it powered up but there was no comms activity at all. Out of curiosity I took it home and opened it up and all three electrolytic capacitors on the PCB were grossly swollen and leaking. I replaced them and it's worked faultlessly ever since.

One thing to watch on the Netgear units is their internal capacitors.

I fished a 16 port unit out of the electrical recycling bin at work one day and it was said to be not working any more. Sure enough, I plugged it in and it powered up but there was no comms activity at all. Out of curiosity I took it home and opened it up and all three electrolytic capacitors on the PCB were grossly swollen and leaking. I replaced them and it's worked faultlessly ever since.
For info last I checked - Netgear Prosafe have warranty cover for 5 years after they are end of life. Fully Managed are lifetime warranty. You have to register within 90 days of purchase and keep invoice, covers original owner only.

However for internal LAN stuff gig is nice to have particularly because its so cheap. If you have a nas for backup etc it makes a huge (well 10x) difference. For the sake of 18 quid its literally a no brainer.

Another +1 for Netgear, I have a GS108 that Ive had for 10+ years only had to replace the 12v PSU once in that time

I use the similar TPLink switches which used to be cheaper than the Netgear ones. No issues with any of the 4 I own and have done for many years. All 1Gb switches 3 * 8 port and 1 * 4 port.

advertisement

Back