advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been trying to remember the name of the 2011 Cotes du Rhône I finished yesterday but without success, and it’s in the recycling box now. It was very nice, anyway.

Supreme effort at recall produces the result Dauvergne Ranvier!
I saw some of their stuff on the bargain shelf at Monoprix last week when I snaffled the two Rieslings I mentioned above. Perhaps I should have grabbed some. I think it might have been their Bordeaux, though, which seems to be something of an outpost for them.

On first reading they seem to be an operation similar to Hecht & Bannier, whose wines I always get on with.

That was an epic fail at grumpiness MB.

Sorry. I’m not quite myself at the moment. The last few days have included some excellent times spent in the company of other forum members, and I’m viewing the world with a slightly rosy tint as a result. It feels very odd.

I saw some of their stuff on the bargain shelf at Monoprix last week when I snaffled the two Rieslings I mentioned above. Perhaps I should have grabbed some. I think it might have been their Bordeaux, though, which seems to be something of an outpost for them.

This was a 'one-off', part of my leaving presents when I took early retirement in 2013. I'd put it on one side and promptly forgotten all about it. I was a bit concerned it might be past its best, but I needn't have worried. There's another Cotes du Rhone lurking about, which was a present from my sister the following year. That one has the intriguing name of Skalli.

Personally I think Guigal CdR (currently £10 at Tesco if you have a Clubcard) knocks the Perrin CdR Reserve (the L&W one) out of the park. The Co-op one is a ‘special bottling’, so I can’t comment or compare as I have no experience of it.

who are u, the wine guru?
Hardly. I was passing a personal comment on a bottle of wine I had tasted, and saying that I had never tried another which may or may not be similar. It seems to me that recommendation and comparison is a large part of the reason for a thread like this.

Reactions: PsB
Personally I think Guigal CdR (currently £10 at Tesco if you have a Clubcard) knocks the Perrin CdR Reserve (the L&W one) out of the park. The Co-op one is a ‘special bottling’, so I can’t comment or compare as I have no experience of it.

I, for one, will take your word for it. Especially if it is still the '16 as the photo suggests.
Don't really trust 'special bottling' for supermarkets anyway.

. It seems to me that recommendation and comparison is a large part of the reason for a thread like this.

how does that work if we all have differing tastes, like music film or any art reviews. at 8 smackers a bottle it aint gonna be class.
surely the purpose of the thread is to show offers, new wines and wine news, not reviews

IMHO the purpose of this thread broadened from Xmas wine to anything about wine a long time ago. It is also a refuge from the argy-bargy of many other off topic threads.

Date for diary wine duties change agh 1st February 2023
https://www.cellarexchange.com/tax_calculator.html

Thanks..
I am in a potential Catch 22 situation where I have quite a large collection of French and Italian wines In Bond with FRW (Fine & Rare Wines) at their London bonded warehouse, whereas I am now in Germany myself and will be for the foreseeable future.

Anyone has any clue of a way to get them across to Europe in a way to minimise the total duties paid and avoid double duties?
Is it possible to move from a Bonded warehouse in London to a 'bonded' warehouse in the continent for the cost of transport only?
I have asked FRW and they seem rather confused themselves...

I am most certainly totally confused

I, for one, will take your word for it. Especially if it is still the '16 as the photo suggests.
Don't really trust 'special bottling' for supermarkets anyway.

I, for one, have (quietly and drunkenly) benefited a lot from Marchbanks' wine preference and suggestions shared - especially Ernest Burn and Jean Paul Brun - firm favourites in the household now.

how does that work if we all have differing tastes, like music film or any art reviews. at 8 smackers a bottle it aint gonna be class.
surely the purpose of the thread is to show offers, new wines and wine news, not reviews
How does it work? Don't know. But it seems to. In my case maybe because I do know the tastes of most of the posters here by now and weight them accordingly. He likes oak more than I do, I like blockbusters, he doesn't etc. I expect others do the same with me.

But you and I obviously have different ideas on what the thread is here for, and neither of us is completely right or wrong. No problem. I'm not going to get into an argument about it, there are plenty of other threads to do that on if I want. (I don't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back