advertisement

Vinyl price insanity

I was considering putting in an order for this CD today

...and then there's this | Artifacts (bandcamp.com)

and noted that it's being described as a "Glass mastered pressing of 500 CD's". Is this CD manufactures beginning to spot a niche for nicely mastered boutique limited edition CDs? I've not come across glass mastering before so looked it up:

What is a glass master? - Band CDs.

Has anyone heard one of these? What is the sound signature?? How is this process different to what normally happens?

and noted that it's being described as a "Glass mastered pressing of 500 CD's". Is this CD manufactures beginning to spot a niche for nicely mastered boutique limited edition CDs? I've not come across glass mastering before so looked it up:

Has anyone heard one of these? What is the sound signature?? How is this process different to what normally happens?

I always thought it just meant it was a 'proper' silver CD and not a burnt CDR.

Reactions: kjb

It's the stamper. All "proper" CD's are manufactured using Glass Mastering. I think the Bandcamp listing is just emphasising that they are produced to the commercial standard and aren't CD-R's.

Reactions: kjb
I think that vinyl should be around £18 so standard new releases are not far from that. Cd's in the mid 80s-90s cost between £10-16, which was a lot in the day. Some of mine have oxidised and won't play anymore and the boxes seemed to get more brittle as the years went on, so plenty of broken cases.
Its all the special editions with coloured vinyl, extra booklets etc that is the price problem. Some are ridiculous. At the end of the day most people would be buying them to listen to, not to look at or sell on. Maybe these 'special editions' are the only way for the record companies to make any money.

Chap who runs the local record shop is involved with several bands and says runs of 150 LP's are pretty common. I have several recent LP's from runs of 300 or less, and all were under £20. He complains that Adele and Abba took up so much of the capacity at the same time.

One would be excused to think you are talking about the stock market!

It's a post modernism thing, everything sooner or later becomes collectibles. Comic magazines, Star Wars figures and (probably?) milk bottles.

It's a post modernism thing, everything sooner or later becomes collectibles. Comic magazines, Star Wars figures and (probably?) milk bottles.

It is nothing new, I’ve made a decent secondary income from buying and selling records since I was still a school kid 45 years ago! I’d argue it was actually far harder now as 20-25 years ago I could walk down any high st in the land and come back with more than I could physically carry that would go for good money, certainly multiples of what I paid. It kept me fairly comfortable through some quite financially challenging times and has always supplemented/funded my own collecting. These days the best buys tend to be new very limited editions. Forget RSD etc, that is largely a chump’s game, the good stuff is on Bandcamp and often limited to 300 or less. Buy right and you certainly have an increasing asset that you can also enjoy. Limited edition audiophile pressings are a surprisingly good buy too, some of my most valuable records are ‘70s-90s Nimbus, DCC, Classic Records etc. It never occurred to me they’d increase so well, I bought most of them because I couldn’t find a really decent 1st pressing even back then, (especially of the US stuff).

I can understand noobs to vinyl being really frustrated with the market today as basically they have zero chance of building a collection like mine, it is just way too expensive and hard to find mint examples, but in other ways it is surprisingly healthy. As an example back in the ‘80s no way in hell could I have found a copy of say Coltrane’s ALS as nice as the current Acoustic Sounds issue, or the countless Tone Poets etc without importing original stuff blind from the USA. I don’t think £25-35 for a really, really good record is outrageous at all, but I want genuinely high quality in all areas for that money. The thing that irks me is paying that money for something brand new that I’d only personally grade as an EX/EX or below, and sadly that still happens on occasions, though it is certainly better now than it was 10-15 years ago.

PS It is the same with guitars and hi-fi. Why would you buy something that is a depreciating asset when with a little intelligence you can enjoy something that also increases in value. Record collecting involves investing a fortune, but the way I do it that is far cheaper than even streaming as it is never dead money! I can pull so many records out of my collection that I paid £5-10 or whatever for and are now worth £25, 50, 100, 200, 500 or more.

Record collecting involves investing a fortune, but the way I do it that is far cheaper than even streaming as it is never dead money! I can pull so many records out of my collection that I paid £5-10 or whatever for and are now worth £25, 50, 100, 200, 500 or more.

I have a lifetimes collection of music (vinyl & cd) - i'm not selling it.
During Covid I did start entering stuff in my discogs 'collection' - Am nowhere near finished but the figures are surprising to say the least.
Not something I had considered when calculating my household contents insurance but will have to be a conversation at next renewal.

Not something I had considered when calculating my household contents insurance but will have to be a conversation at next renewal.

When I’ve discussed it when getting quotes in the past the insurer’s position has been that, unless you own a collection of (for example) all the Elvis Presley albums, which would be disproportionately diminished by the loss of one album, they’re not interested, it’s just general contents to them.

When I’ve discussed it when getting quotes in the past the insurer’s position has been that, unless you own a collection of (for example) all the Elvis Presley albums, which would be disproportionately diminished by the loss of one album, they’re not interested, it’s just general contents to them.

I've wondered about this too. Presumably if you have, say, a complete run of original mint Blue Note 1500 series they need to know exactly what you have in order to be able to compensate correctly?

If you like classical music, vinyl has never been cheaper. I am involved with a charity bookshop and we are inundated with classical vinyl. It does sell but very slowly and even putting it online means you have to be very patient. Many of the LPs are mint/unplayed and are premium price labels (Decca, EMI, DG, etc). Apart from rare or collectible titles, the standard prices are £1.99 or £2.99, then we often reduce them to 99p and they still don’t sell. We often have 3, 4, 5 or more LP box sets at £3.99 or £4.99 which would have been very expensive in the 1960s or 70s. Opera box sets, in particular, just don’t sell.

i have bought, kept, sold records since the 60's. yes some do increase in value, but to sell them all would take forever if you needed to raise cash on the smartish side. purely a hobby here, do not care what their value is, the music for me. i have a few valuable records in the present collection, but if i stop playing them then to market they will go, i see no point in holding shit that is valuable if i no longer appreciate/use it

I kind of look at mine as a pension-supplement. If I find my stuff stuck for a £100 here and there it’s as simple as listing something and then taking a mailer to the post office. I have no work pension, so I'll be living on the state pension, savings and assets, which is one reason I’m a hoarder! I have a house full of cool and interesting things I can eventually flip for a substantial profit should I need to. It’s what I’ve done all my life to be honest as I’ve never had nor wanted the conventional life/career thing.

I kind of look at mine as a pension-supplement. If I find my stuff stuck for a £100 here and there it’s as simple as listing something and then taking a mailer to the post office. I have no work pension, so I'll be living on the state pension, savings and assets, which is one reason I’m a hoarder! I have a house full of cool and interesting things I can eventually flip for a substantial profit should I need to. It’s what I’ve done all my life to be honest as I’ve never had nor wanted the conventional life/career thing.

i completely get your life choices, hope it pans out for you. suppose we are similar regarding quality of design/product etc, most certainly applies to a lot of my tools, clothes, wine, although caring a lot less about the last two these days.

Just before we moved into our current house a water tank in the loft split and took out two ceilings. If it had split after we moved in it would, most likely, had ruined the covers of 1600 records. Personally I don’t bother with insurance above the essentials. But, if you do, a record collection of worth must be a bit of a headache?

Just before we moved into our current house a water tank in the loft split and took out two ceilings. If it had split after we moved in it would, most likely, had ruined the covers of 1600 records. Personally I don’t bother with insurance above the essentials. But, if you do, a record collection of worth must be a bit of a headache?

I consciously don’t have anything of value under the water tank. Thankfully it is in the back bedroom (pfm record shop) and nothing beneath in the lower room. I had repeated leaks etc in shitty rented accommodation in the ‘80s so learned the hard way to think about this, though thankfully it never got the records. I’m theoretically quite chilled out about it, I only have standard house insurance that would cover the hi-fi, guitars etc.

I’ve viewed the records as irreplaceable and despite my earlier post I’m really not preoccupied with money. I’m comfortable enough as is and if the house burned down I’d be covered for another house and have plenty to spend on a seriously high-end streaming system. I like to think if that happened I’d just take a different direction entirely and enjoy another journey. My life has been full of huge changes so I’m not necessarily frightened by it, plus I’m far more comfortable financially than at any previous point so have a buffer I’ve lacked previously. I certainly know I couldn’t replace what I have and any attempt to do so would just drive me absolutely nuts. I’m not saying I’d give up vinyl entirely (I enjoy refurbishing vintage turntables and arms too much), but I’d likely limit it to interesting new releases and chance buys to supplement a streaming solution.

PS I’m lucky that where I am can’t flood, I’m on highish ground and the whole town would be under 50 foot or more before I’d have an issue!

I have my collection listed in Discogs. During lockdown in 2020 I noticed my collection value increase by well over €1k without really adding to it. However, now, I see it has plateaued and possibly started to drop, as I have been adding to it recently and it's value has decreased from what it was.

It could just be that my collection is not so on trend anymore, but I think it could also be that people aren't prepared to pay such stupid money anymore. They may ask for a certain silly price, but are they still getting it, I doubt it.

It could just be that my collection is not so on trend anymore, but I think it could also be that people aren't prepared to pay such stupid money anymore. They may ask for a certain silly price, but are they still getting it, I doubt it.

Prices did shoot up in lockdown. A lot of shops were closed and nobody was buying/selling collections so it was very much a sellers market. I don't think things have completely settled down yet - maybe they won't!

It is always a shifting market just like stocks & shares. Every title and pressing has its own curve. I’m way more geeky than most and I’ll never fully understand it! As ever an item is worth what you personally can get for it and not a penny more!

PS I don’t obsess to much over specific prices, I make an astonishing return on some stuff, barely break even on others, plus make the odd mistake that needs writing off. As with any venture the overall picture is all that matters and I manage to keep well ahead. I’m obviously hugely helped by being mail-order only, high-st shops have to deal with devaluation, i.e. if you stick a M/M record in the racks it’s likely a VG+/EX in a month after its been thumbed, checked by countless people. My stock stays in the condition I bought it in until it sells even if that takes years!

My collection has constantly trended up on Discogs since I first spent an inordinate amount of time punching it all in about 6 years ago. It has turned from a bunch of records and CDs collected over my lifetime into a substantial if somewhat illiquid asset. In my old age, I can see me hawking off the records slowly for a bit of pocket money and holding my CD/SACD's.

There has been a substantial jump in new record prices since lockdown, like almost anything you care to name.

advertisement

Back