advertisement

Headphone Amp/DAC

Barry123

pfm Member
Guys need your advice please
Currently all my listening is iPhone though a Dragonfly Red with some old Grado SR80’s and a pair of Meze Classics.
I want to go up a level in quality but particularly in regards to volume control which isn’t great using just the iPhone.
So a headphone/DAC combo max £200 new or used
Thanks!

The iFi Zen DAC would definitely be worthy of consideration - I recently moved from a Dragonfly Red to the iFi recently and it was a huge upgrade for peanuts. Very happy with it.

For circa £200 second hand the Chord Mojo is excellent. Although the volume control uses idiosyncratic buttons, the fine adjustment is superb.

For circa £200 second hand the Chord Mojo is excellent. Although the volume control uses idiosyncratic buttons, the fine adjustment is superb.

Seconded. I just recently purchased a s/h Mojo from the classifieds and very impressed with it (into HD660s).

Why' would you need a DAC to amplify headphones? Stick to a straightforward amp compatible with your practical requirements (2 h/ph out, multi-inputs cum pre=amp use, stand-by plus with the cans you're going to use. Senn's at 300 ohms need a wee bit more oompf c/f my Focals (50+ ohms) but half a watt is an adequate number to aim for.

Why' would you need a DAC to amplify headphones? Stick to a straightforward amp compatible with your practical requirements (2 h/ph out, multi-inputs cum pre=amp use, stand-by plus with the cans you're going to use. Senn's at 300 ohms need a wee bit more oompf c/f my Focals (50+ ohms) but half a watt is an adequate number to aim for.
Because if I can get better quality than the inbuilt DAC in the iPhone why not?

Absolutely chord mojo 2nd hand. Pairs beautifully with the Meze classics. Mojo 2 is due in January so likely there will be an influx of original mojos to the used market

Because if I can get better quality than the inbuilt DAC in the iPhone why not?

I'm not conversant with iphones or streaming etc and just thought you'd plug the iphone into a decent h/ph amp. All my sources are old school (TV, tuner, CDP, vinyl; my only DAC is the valved one in the CDP. I can see why you'd want to kill two birds with one stone ( as long as quality doesn't suffer ).

I'm not conversant with iphones or streaming etc and just thought you'd plug the iphone into a decent h/ph amp. All my sources are old school (TV, tuner, CDP, vinyl; my only DAC is the valved one in the CDP. I can see why you'd want to kill two birds with one stone ( as long as quality doesn't suffer ).
Not necessarily in one stone, a Schiit/Topping combo is a possibility

I'm currently using my phone plugged straight into a headphone amp, sounds great! Listening to Tidal via USB Audio Player Pro. Not sure I'll bother with a DAC again.

Guys need your advice please
Currently all my listening is iPhone though a Dragonfly Red with some old Grado SR80’s and a pair of Meze Classics.
I want to go up a level in quality but particularly in regards to volume control which isn’t great using just the iPhone.
So a headphone/DAC combo max £200 new or used
Thanks!

This is fab and goes plenty loud enough:

https://www.thx.com/thx-onyx/

Tim

advertisement

Back