advertisement

Whisky II

Good news - Springbank new releases in 2022.
Bad news - they are slated as Local Barley, Springbank 30yo, Hazelburn 21yo and Longrow 21yo so will be fairly unobtainium.

Anyone tried the 18yr old Lidl Islay (£39.99) - that's the budget for my Christmas bottle, what would you recommend. I'm an islands whisky fan.
No, but for under £40... Arran 10, Bunnahabhain12, Deanston 12, Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
If Islay only, for peat add Ardbeg 10

Anyone tried the 18yr old Lidl Islay (£39.99) - that's the budget for my Christmas bottle, what would you recommend. I'm an islands whisky fan.

No, but just chatting to my brother and he's got one and said its very good.

Not as good as Ardbeg 10, but does a really good job next to it...

It's different so well worth trying he said

I got a code for £10 off a bottle from SMWS so decided to get a bottle of their Tabanco Time (https://smws.com/tabanco-time/) which is a bit different from the other ones I've had from them. It's a blend for one thing, and also only 50% ABV.

This is the description: "This small batch was drawn from the latest refresh of the SMWS blended malt solera. It saw the addition of whiskies from both Speyside & Highland regions and the cask make-up included a mixture of quarter casks, hogsheads and butts, all seasoned with PX or Oloroso sherries. Dont forget that theres Spanish & American oak too! The aromas and flavours reminded us of our trips to Jerez to source these very casks! Imagine you were seated outside a tabanco in Jerez at a polished oak table and the waiter put down a bowl of toasted nuts and thinly sliced Serrano ham. To drink you ordered an Oloroso dulce VORS Sherry, lightly chilled, smooth and unctuous with that typical taste of cinnamon, dried fruits, candied orange peel and a rich sweet finish – it certainly did hit that S-spot (Sweet-spot). After a drop of water, we chose a rich dessert, cherry tart made with fresh blackberries in the buttercream, almonds and plenty of kirsch brandy. On the palate hazelnut chocolate, walnuts, juicy black cherries and chocolate chip acorn truffles, and we were reminded of an old Spanish saying: ‘a meal without a glass of Sherry is like a day without sun’."

I've expecting a proper sherry monster - looking forward to it as could be a nice Christmas dram.

I got a code for £10 off a bottle from SMWS so decided to get a bottle of their Tabanco Time (https://smws.com/tabanco-time/) which is a bit different from the other ones I've had from them. It's a blend for one thing, and also only 50% ABV.

This is the description: "This small batch was drawn from the latest refresh of the SMWS blended malt solera. It saw the addition of whiskies from both Speyside & Highland regions and the cask make-up included a mixture of quarter casks, hogsheads and butts, all seasoned with PX or Oloroso sherries. Dont forget that theres Spanish & American oak too! The aromas and flavours reminded us of our trips to Jerez to source these very casks! Imagine you were seated outside a tabanco in Jerez at a polished oak table and the waiter put down a bowl of toasted nuts and thinly sliced Serrano ham. To drink you ordered an Oloroso dulce VORS Sherry, lightly chilled, smooth and unctuous with that typical taste of cinnamon, dried fruits, candied orange peel and a rich sweet finish – it certainly did hit that S-spot (Sweet-spot). After a drop of water, we chose a rich dessert, cherry tart made with fresh blackberries in the buttercream, almonds and plenty of kirsch brandy. On the palate hazelnut chocolate, walnuts, juicy black cherries and chocolate chip acorn truffles, and we were reminded of an old Spanish saying: ‘a meal without a glass of Sherry is like a day without sun’."

I've expecting a proper sherry monster - looking forward to it as could be a nice Christmas dram.

Another one my brothers got for New Years...

If it's as good as or better than their Clementine Confit, it's be a bloody good dram

I'd had a couple of the SMWS's 'special bottles' that are smaller batch style at about 1500-2000 bottles and these were perfectly decent bottles. I hope this was is the same :)

I’ve used their service as well, low listing fees iirc and low commission. Have also used just whisky in dunferline, who are ok but have had smaller lots and whisky auctioneer who are very comparable to SWA to go effect
Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers.

advertisement

Back