advertisement

Aleggra Stratton in tears

I remember quite some years ago when Stratton (whilst she was still at Newsnight with her screechy, posh voice) did some low-grade 3-part 'history of economics' and it seemed to me entirely conceived for doing a hatchet job on Marx. I don't much care whether she agrees or disagrees with such a figure, that's perfectly normal, but the least one should be able to expect is a factual representation.

These people take their chances to spread ideology. They're not scholars.

Why? The LibDems are simply tories in a weak disguise. If you don’t want tories to be in govt Labour has to carry on.

They're really not. My brother is an erstwhile LibDem councillor and still party member and he's well to the left of Labour. He's not atypical, either.

They're really not. My brother is an erstwhile LibDem councillor and still party member and he's well to the left of Labour. He's not atypical, either.

Genghis Khan would have been well to the left of Starmer's Labour let's face it. I'm unconvinced that they actually have a policy on anything, other than to sell out the members and the electorate. The LDs still propped up a Tory Government and supported austerity and everything that went with it, it's a reflection of why Tory voters turn to them rather than to Labour. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to see them win this time.

Ignoring the endless sealioning/trolling, no, they aren’t. They very consistently vote against authoritarian and war-mongering measures Labour vote for or abstain from, they unambiguously stood against the right-wing Brexit project, and even though they failed to hold an exponentially more powerful Tory government to ransom they believe in PR and have it as a manifesto pledge. I’d take them over Labour every day of the week.
You don't need to ignore any sealioning/trolling from me. There isn't any.

@MVV - Yes, I too feel sorry for her. I don't think what she said in the leaked interview was particularly nasty or demeaning to anybody, she was just scapegoated for the whole thing and chucked below the bus in the hope that'll be enough to put the matter to rest.

One good thing to come out of it surely is that others at all levels throughout the rest of the organisation will have a pretty clear view of how the game is played (if by any chance they were naive enough not to before).

Genghis Khan would have been well to the left of Starmer's Labour let's face it. I'm unconvinced that they actually have a policy on anything, other than to sell out the members and the electorate. The LDs still propped up a Tory Government and supported austerity and everything that went with it, it's a reflection of why Tory voters turn to them rather than to Labour. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to see them win this time.
The LibDems are not centrally controlled like the Tories and Labour, they're probably a much broader church than people think and local parties do vary politically depending on local demographics. Historically quite a lot of the Liberal vote resided in non-conformist Christian communities, ie socially quite conservative but from a very non-Tory tradition. It doesn't make sense to label LibDems as unprincipled or opportunist, as anyone without principles but serious about a career in politics would join a party that offers the most opportunity, which clearly would be Tories one and Labour two. By the way, I am not a member and never have been, I just think that viewing the LibDems as the enemy is very much barking up the wrong tree and I will vote for them whenever I think they are the best chance of beating a Tory.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but... Stratton was forced to resign after admitting on video to not having gone to a private party in Number 10, that the government insists never took place.

I suppose we can add corpus delicti to the list of Latin phrases than Boris “Classics-at-Oxford” Johnson does not really understand.

The ad hominem attacks on Stratton herself are irrelevant to the issue. So what that she’s one of those nasty Tory types. The distinction between proper and improper treatment is not dependent on the subject being an asshole or not.

The LibDems are not centrally controlled like the Tories and Labour, they're probably a much broader church than people think and local parties do vary politically depending on local demographics. Historically quite a lot of the Liberal vote resided in non-conformist Christian communities, ie socially quite conservative but from a very non-Tory tradition. It doesn't make sense to label LibDems as unprincipled or opportunist, as anyone without principles but serious about a career in politics would join a party that offers the most opportunity, which clearly would be Tories one and Labour two. By the way, I am not a member and never have been, I just think that viewing the LibDems as the enemy is very much barking up the wrong tree and I will vote for them whenever I think they are the best chance of beating a Tory.
They can tolerate some ideological diversity because they don’t expect to govern and because they’re never placed under much scrutiny - I’m not sure it indicates a principled commitment to diverse viewpoints any more than it does an intrinsic opportunism. But it’s worth remembering that they’ve been tested twice in the last 10 years and both times they’ve shown themselves to be weak and prone to self-deception, being generous, or opportunistic, self-serving, unprincipled Tories, being cynical. So on recent evidence…

Even if it made strategic sense to support them I'd find it difficult to forgive them for Kensington and Chelsea 2019. Such a cynical and duplicitous campaign, exploiting people's hatred for the Tories to return...an ex-Tory, by a handful of votes. But it doesn't make strategic sense to support them: any gain they make they'll use to push Labour to the right or stomp on a left alternative, should it ever emerge. Even in a marginal I'd never vote for them. Better the Tory you know.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but... Stratton was forced to resign after admitting on video to not having gone to a private party in Number 10, that the government insists never took place.

I suppose we can add corpus delicti to the list of Latin phrases than Boris “Classics-at-Oxford” Johnson does not really understand.

The ad hominem attacks on Stratton herself are irrelevant to the issue. So what that she’s one of those nasty Tory types. The distinction between proper and improper treatment is not dependent on the subject being an asshole or not.
Forced by who?
Govenrment insists? This means they are lying.

Forced by who?
France. Boris blames them for all his other ****ups, why not this one too?

Govenrment insists? This means they are lying.
Yes, and that is rather the point: the resignation forces the government to again issue a denial for a story that had begun to fade out of the news cycle. Anyone with 28.3 g of public relations nous in their bodies would have realised that denials only bolster rumours. This idea is such recent news that was even the subject of a joke on Yes, Minister, nearly forty years ago.

Oh well, at least there isn’t anything serious happening in the UK right now that might require a competent government to oversee...

Wasn't it more about her attitude to it all ? If you want to be treated morally you have to treat others morally. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
However I do agree she is a scapegoat to some degree: it is BJ should fall on his sword. Fat chance.
This is why in the end the assholes will win.

Wasn't it more about her attitude to it all ? If you want to be treated morally you have to treat others morally. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
However I do agree she is a scapegoat to some degree: it is BJ should fall on his sword. Fat chance.
This is why in the end the assholes will win.
I thought she was laughing sheepishly because she would have no answer or justification for a party. I didn't think she was being like that at all but some are on a hair trigger whe it comes to anyone involved with the government in any way.

She's been treated shoddily but she's not the first and won't be the last - as someone described it, 'meat shields'. Boris will run out of donors soon.

I hadn’t realised she hadn’t been there. I caught a little of Women’s Hour this morning, accidentally as I usually turn it off, but someone on there was making quite a coherent point that it was unfair to make her the scapegoat, she wasn’t there, and whilst she wasn’t there, she could be considered to be realistically considering what to say if someone asked her. How do you defend the indefensible? They must rehearse the press briefings. Would a man in the same position have had to fall on his sword? Her politics and that video are vile, but is she to blame on this occasion?

^ she took the silver and I'm sure there was plenty of it (see above about which billionaires are godparents): no tears from me.

advertisement

Back