advertisement

Audio Origami

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Sorry, do you know if Johnny/Audio Origami is still in business?

I need a service on one of my tonearms.

Many thanks.
Mauro

Yes he is. I'm planning on sending him a Linn Ittok LV-II for service. Last chat we had he mentioned he was currently focusing on Akitos, Ekos and Regas. Seems that the Ittok is a more complicated/fiddly beast to repair but this one is for keeps since I got it for free and loved the one I had for 35+ years until I moved to a mint condition Ekos 2 (SN 9XXX).

Yes he is. I'm planning on sending him a Linn Ittok LV-II for service. Last chat we had he mentioned he was currently focusing on Akitos, Ekos and Regas. Seems that the Ittok is a more complicated/fiddly beast to repair but this one is for keeps since I got it for free and loved the one I had for 35+ years until I moved to a mint condition Ekos 2 (SN 9XXX).
I'm surprised that he would be limiting his attention to those two Linn models and the Regas only. There are certainly lots of other tonearms about that are easy enough to work on without necessarily having to fabricate parts, for example. I'm thinking of brands like Helius here, where the basic ingredients are good, with ball-race gimbal bearings within substantial metal rings and cylinders, not all that far removed from the design of his Shrinx-alike PU-7, really.

Yes, he is, I had a Rega arm rewired three weeks ago, he gave a really fast turnaround at a really good price! I've had loads of arms worked on by him. The only job he ever turned down was my Audiomods Classic, but Jeff took care of that for me; another great guy to deal with!

he's rushed off his feet

He is. Although he works from home he's not one of these guys who watches TV all day and just does a bit of work when he feels like it. He works long hours, more or less seven days a week, but he's only one guy. With the PU7 being such a storming success he is indeed super busy but he always seems to do his best to help people out where he can.

Check with J7 before returning your tonearm. This August he informed me that he was no longer servicing Ittoks, (no longer has replacement bearings), and refused a friend’s fully functional Syrinx PU2 for rewiring upgrade. The range of arms he now works on has been dramatically reduced. He did a great job rewiring and servicing my early SME S2 non improved.

This August he informed me that he was no longer servicing Ittoks, (no longer has replacement bearings)

Strange, I thought the Ittok used exactly the same bearings as the RB300 and I would've though you would've been able to buy any bearing you liked anyway. Shame if that's true as I don't think anyone else services them. Linn never did!

Shame if that's true as I don't think anyone else services them.

That’s what he told me mid August 2021. Things may have changed again, best to check first for the sake of a phone call or email. J7 will have his reasons. Highly recommended.

hi guys

yes still going going strong ...but the pu7 builds take most of my time
ive had to cut down rewire and service jobs as I dont have so much spare time nowadays, and only do the arms I have full stock of spares for

I dont even have time to drop in on the pink fishes, customer emailed me about this thread hehe

things may change in the years to come

so dont be a stranger pop in for a coffee :)

best wishes of the season

j7

advertisement

Back