advertisement

Ever lost your interest in music? (e.g. post kids)

Neil P

pfm Member
Due to 2 house moves, stuff being in storage, and kids (now 8 and 10) my music habits have dwindled over the last 10 years. I find if I have an hour or two to spare I watch a movie, and I don't actually know when I Iast "listened" to a whole record... 15 years ago? I wonder whether I should just sell the gear, and maybe revisit the hobby when the kids leave home or I retire (15+ years). Has anyone else experienced this? Did they fight it?

In lockdown I bought a new SACD player (still in its box), a new pair of mono amps (still not opened the boxes they arrived in from another PFMer), a new equipment support (still boxed), various tweaks ... ditto. Oh I also bought (and quickly sold) a pre, a dac and an integrated.

The other way round for me. If I have an hour or two to spare I listen to music, and I don’t know when I last turned on the TV. (I do really, it was the beginning of October.)

I never lost my interest in music even when my kids were small (now in their 20's) though there probably was a fair period of time when I didn't have as much time as I liked but this would have been mainly due to working 6 & 7 days a week.
I can't say I can ever remember wanting to listen to music and having to play with the kids or be involved in some of their activities that I didn't want to be, honesty if I had the time over again I'd spend more time with them.
About 15 years ago I sold off my system as I wanted the money to build a motorcycle, for a good ten years my interest in hifi was practically non-existent, I still had a fairly decent system and probably bought as many records as the previous 10.

I think it's natural for your musical appetites to rise and fall over time. I've gone through periods where I don't listen much, and periods where I listen a lot. Life does cause ebb and flow....

Totally agree. I also listen to my hifi far less in the summer, more likely to be outside doing stuff.

The other way round for me. If I have an hour or two to spare I listen to music, and I don’t know when I last turned on the TV. (I do really, it was the beginning of October.)
I've not owned a TV (or watched live tv / iplayer etc) for decades, but do watch films on blu-ray.

I certainly listened less to the main system when the kids were younger, I am also a regular cyclist so in the summer spend more time out of doors.

I do wonder if it's a male ageing thing (I'm 44)... I've lost my interest in many things (but also had a very stressful year for many reasons).

I do wonder if it's a male ageing thing (I'm 44)... I've lost my interest in many things (but also had a very stressful year for many reasons).

Could be, have you gained interest in other things or just too busy getting on with the day to day perhaps?

As long as you're happy and the stress is not causing depression or anxiety.

[Tries to think back to 44]. That would be 1998 for me. I had lost interest in music some years previously, and bought very few records in the late '80s/early '90s. Thats when my two were nippers and by the time we'd packed them off to bed, all we wanted to do was zone out in front of some crap TV programmes then stagger off to bed. But by 1998 I was already back into music and have been there ever since. We were without a TV for several years and if we hadn't been offered on for free would probably still not have one.

Due to 2 house moves, stuff being in storage, and kids (now 8 and 10) my music habits have dwindled over the last 10 years. I find if I have an hour or two to spare I watch a movie, and I don't actually know when I Iast "listened" to a whole record... 15 years ago? I wonder whether I should just sell the gear, and maybe revisit the hobby when the kids leave home or I retire (15+ years). Has anyone else experienced this? Did they fight it?

In lockdown I bought a new SACD player (still in its box), a new pair of mono amps (still not opened the boxes they arrived in from another PFMer), a new equipment support (still boxed), various tweaks ... ditto. Oh I also bought (and quickly sold) a pre, a dac and an integrated.

15 years? I sincerely don’t mean this in a rude way: why are you here? What keeps your interest here? It would be like reading football discussion and not watching football.

I get to listen to music at least 8 hours a day at work and it presents a different problem: deciding what to listen to becomes a challenge and then I feel bored with my options.

If I’m listening to music it’s likely I’m in a good mood.

If I’m not in a good mood listening to music normally helps.

It happens sometimes for a period, but my attention is like that on most things - I am either compleatly immersed or totally disinterested and there isn't really any middle ground. Some of my younger friends who are into self-diagnosing such things think I have ADHD! They might be right, but I don't really care... Psychology was another of those things I was intensely interested in for long enough to get an A-level and about half the credits needed for a BSc, before suddenly realising I thought it was mostly nonsense and quite dull, and changing my degree...

Same here. It's always music first for me. Movies 2nd. As a matter of fact I don't really watch much movies.

I go through phases as well not been listening much but that more due to being ill. Find myself watching crap TV.
Will come back to it though as always seem to eventually

advertisement

Back