advertisement

records you regret flogging

I think it also has to do with sentimental/nostalgic associations with the record in question. Although I bought the 'Nuggets' compilation again a few years back, it wasn't the same as having the original. Nothing to do with monetary value.
Most of the posts in this thread seem to mention money. It is the complete opposite for me, if I hear an album from back in the day it still has the same meaning regardless of format. Radio Paradise played the whole of Abbey Road side two the other day, completely stopped me in my tracks. I have this record on vinyl & CD, hearing it unbidden probably had the most impact.

3 for me - all swapped not sold.

Led Zep II: I bought this when I was still in primary school in 1971. It was a red purple label Atlantic . Some student teachers played it for me and my mate Duncan at lunchtime and I nagged my dad to get me a copy the following day. I swapped it two years later for a copy of the first black Sabbath record with a mates older brother. I've still got that - it's shabby as hell whereas my other records from the time are in decent enough nick.

Abbey Road: My aunt bought me a copy the Xmas it came out.

There's A Riot Going One - I bought this with the free single inside when Family Affair was a hit.

I swapped the last two for a carrier bag full of blank cassette tapes in 1973.

I've bought reissues of the first two and will grab a copy of the Riot reissue this week but the ones I had were probably all first presses or close to it and, although I didn't realise how important they would come to be to me sentimentally. I guess I didn't know any better at 13 but I'd like to head back and have a firm word with my younger self.

I sold Trader Horn’s LP ‘Morning Way’ to my twin brother about a year after I bought it.
Still don’t know why I let it go.

Nearly 50 years later I inherited it after my brother’s sad death from cancer.

It had become quite valuable and I sold it for £80.00 on eBay.
The money was given to a cancer research organisation.

I’ve sold too many records / collections over the last 40 years or so - usually because i was broke and needed some cash. Biggest regrets are my original collection of 60’s & 70’s albums sold because I went “punk”, my original roots reggae collection of 7’s, 12’s and LP’s (probably when I went 100% CD only) and (this breaks my heart) a real 1st press US copy of Safe As Milk by Beefheart including the bumper sticker and decal. Irreplaceable :oops:

I sold all of mine several years ago when I went all digital……….yes, I regret selling them all even the ones I didn’t like

I have never sold or given any of my records. A CD here and there but that’s it.
I’ve kept everything since my first record bought in 1977.
I went digital in 1988 but I kept buying records until they went off the market a few years later.
But I have almost no doubles, LP’s or CD’s but not both for a same album.

No regrets. The only records I've ever sold was a couple of dozen duplicates I had due to acquiring copies in better condition.

Being a jazz fan can be a problem. Lots of musicians recorded 200+ albums as a leader so over time I tend to accumulate quite a few records by folk I'm interested in. If I had the space I'd keep it all but in a small flat I only have space for around 2000 LPs so the occasional purge is required to make space for new (to me) records.

There's the odd record I regret selling but thankfully they're surprisingly few.

Nearly everything by COIL including a few personalised bits.....and of course I have ended up buying the re issues!

I know....I periodically go through phases of 'look at this stuff...it's just stuff and it's stuffing up the place' followed by a clear out. COIL sells well and sometimes very well indeed. It's been fun collecting the reissues though and no doubt they'll go back in the for sale pile at some point.

I'm about to leave the whole collection for a couple of years due to work so it'll be interesting to see if I decide to ditch the lot on my return.

I'm about to leave the whole collection for a couple of years due to work so it'll be interesting to see if I decide to ditch the lot on my return.

I did something similar about a decade ago when I moved abroad for work for a couple of years. I didn't miss my stuff too much - but I did end up buying loads more records and shipping them home at the end of the two years...

Best of luck with wherever work is taking you - hope it's an interesting adventure.

Best of luck with wherever work is taking you - hope it's an interesting adventure.

Cheers...Long story.
Career break to go teach in Thailand fell apart due to COVID (in reality I actually dodged a bullet it would seem)
Was offered a Job in Myanmar ....the day the coup broke out so it went all tits up.
Gave up looking, resigned from post here as they would not allow me to work on a career break!
American run school found my references online and offered me a post teaching 11 _ 12 yr olds Biology. I was reluctant as it's in China and that wasn't on my radar as a place to work. They made me an offer I cannot refuse so I should be heading out soon. Heading to Dublin for Visa tomorrow.

The whole setup sounds chaotic but I am figuring ai have little to loose and can put in the next couple of years till I am 60 and get my pipe and slippers!

Hope I can source some decent HiFi not to mention Malt Whisky in Hangzhou.

Cheers...Long story.
Career break to go teach in Thailand fell apart due to COVID (in reality I actually dodged a bullet it would seem)
Was offered a Job in Myanmar ....the day the coup broke out so it went all tits up.
Gave up looking, resigned from post here as they would not allow me to work on a career break!
American run school found my references online and offered me a post teaching 11 _ 12 yr olds Biology. I was reluctant as it's in China and that wasn't on my radar as a place to work. They made me an offer I cannot refuse so I should be heading out soon. Heading to Dublin for Visa tomorrow.

The whole setup sounds chaotic but I am figuring ai have little to loose and can put in the next couple of years till I am 60 and get my pipe and slippers!

That definitely qualifies as an adventure!

Most of the posts in this thread seem to mention money. It is the complete opposite for me,

Agree.
Years after selling Mike Westbrook's Love Songs i so much wanted to revisit it, a CD would have done fine though not availabe, at least I couldn't find one. i am astonished at the price original pressings go for which is a no-go area for me.
The goodnews is that it's been reissued and I'm the proud owner of a brand new vinyl copy. It doesn't disappoint.

I don't really have regrets selling my records as I seldom sell them! Actually I've managed to reacquire the few that I want so no loss at all.

In fact I have many more regrets NOT picking up the many interesting records that I've passed on in the past. I am trying to remedy that...

If you are going to teach in Hangzhou, I think you'd be shocked at how advanced and sophisticated China is in the cities. Fine malt whisky is no issue as is the best Bordeaux; not sure about classic hifi though.

Cheers...Long story.

in the early flash of excitement when cds came along I sold or traded my first vinyl pressing of Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti - big mistake as the first cd issues of LZ's albums were thin and weedy. Have replaced with the deluxe boxset from 2015 - which is a nice package - at a price!

In the early 1990s I sold most of my ECM vinyl, on the assumption that it would soon all be available on CD. I had to wait 20 years for some of the albums to make it to CD or download!

advertisement

Back