advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Danger is fine. Huge speed differentials between cars at 180-200mph and others at a walking pace, hidden around a flat out corner isn’t. Things go wrong. Ask Billy Monger.

They definitely earn their pocket money on this track, but I agree, the qualifying session was somewhat ridiculous at times. However, no car to car contact really.

I't was certainly an interesting track to watch qualifying on and as a spectator exciting to watch, however very high speed corners, no sight lines, no run off, racing at night and the chance of cars coming back onto the racing line after a crash makes it a risky track. I'm not with you on the bring on the danger i'm afraid, not on closed circuit racing, where the risk should be manged as much as possible there's a point where racing goes from exciting to wince inducing.
It's horrible to witness a crash and victory when a driver/rider walks away. I'm sure it'll be a great race and will be packed with incidents, lets hope they are all relatively minor and well managed.

Imo, It's not for me (or any of us really) to decide on whether it's too dangerous or not. If you don't want to watch a crash, don't watch a sport where it's entirely possible. My GF dosent watch horror films as she dosen't like to be frightened, same logic. Until there is a point where all drivers stand up and state the risk is unacceptable, then the risk is fine.

I think the biggest let down of this track is the lack of overtaking opportunities, it really needs to be a huge factor in modern track design given the size of the cars these days. I don't think there is a fan or driver who wants more Monaco's to emerge.

F1 have gone to Saudi purely for commercial reasons. The drivers are employees and have no say. It's not the same as choosing not to watch a horror film.

I believe the drivers very do much get a say, and if there is an unanimous vote from them that the track is too dangerous, then it will have changes made. If they don't drive, there is no F1, no stronger say than that.

You don't have to watch it though, much like not watching a horror film. It's your choice to watch it, or not. If this track is too much for you, take a day off from the tv and rejoin next week.

On sketchy tracks like this, it wouldn't take much to put the quali timing beam before the last corner, so the cars can clear the track into the pits immediately. Instant reduction of slower traffic by 50%.
If Indycar can do it on their road courses, why can't the FIA?

The Formula 2 Championship feature race at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix has been suspended following a frightening startline shunt involving Theo Pourchaire and Enzo Fittipaldi. Both hospitalised.

What a nightmare, it played right into Red Bulls hands..Lewis is going to have pull out something really special now.

Hamilton will just have to overtake him on the track, luck goes both ways and Lewis has had his fair share of good luck too.

Nothing like a bit of cheating from Max to get ahead..standard behaviour. Didn't see him backing off to give the place back. Let's hope the stewards do the right (honest) thing this time.

advertisement

Back