advertisement

RADIOHEAD KID A MNESIA

I haven't had a chance to open and listen to my red copy yet, but worringly lots of reports on discogs about the pressings being garbage. Any thoughts from owners here?

I haven't had a chance to open and listen to my red copy yet, but worringly lots of reports on discogs about the pressings being garbage. Any thoughts from owners here?

I’ve got a horrible distorted noise on track 4 of Kid A side one - How to disappear completely - taking it back to the shop to see if their record cleaning machine can help…..

Red vinyl sets are sold out and black vinyl versions are currently unavailable too!

Is the centre hole anywhere near the middle? I read some comments on Discogs that some of the red ones are eccentric. Many comments from folk loving them, so as ever take with pinch of salt.

The big set has one, it was emailed to me a few days ago. I’ve not used it as I’m pretty certain I’ll be flipping this one and I’ll include it. I just don’t feel I need it given I have the original limited editions of both CDs and they sound great IMO.

Yeah I noticed that too, disappointing, although I suppose it's only the extra material that I'd need really.
I've got both cds and they are both ripped but that's not the point.

I'm giving it another listen through this morning while I've got the house to myself.

There's an interview somewhere where one of Radiohead said they'd released the records separately as they didn't want to release a bloated double album - I think they were responding to another story that Amnesiac was outtakes from Kid A. What is coming across to me today is what a great double album this would have been and, in a way, now is. There's a lovely flow across the 4 sides.

My red copy sounds fine. I had to remove a few strands of stray vinyl from the outside of one of the discs and it has a couple of clicks and pops along the way but the mix adds a more depth to it by comparison with my CD of Kid A. I know they've not been remastered but the pressing of Amnesiac doesn't seem that different to the clear vinyl 2x10" - maybe the treble is a little clearer- but, as I said above, its an annoying format so worth having the new version.

Last edited:
Just listening to my copy now - pretty nasty distortion on Thom's vocal on How To Disappear Completely, will listen to the rest and report back - it's a bit annoying as otherwise the pressing seems decent, this disc is flat, concentric and sounding very nice.

Just listening to my copy now - pretty nasty distortion on Thom's vocal on How To Disappear Completely, will listen to the rest and report back - it's a bit annoying as otherwise the pressing seems decent, this disc is flat, concentric and sounding very nice.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat. My record shop guy ran my one thru their fancy-Dan record cleaner to no effect. In 50 years of buying vinyl I’ve never heard anything like this distortion - it’s truly horrid and not just a pop or crackle. However it’s only on that track on one album out of 3 so I will probably make a note to listen to my rip of that one! If more red vinyl stock appears I will swop it out. Apparently there was a blue vinyl OKNOTOK edition which was initially limited but more did appear after some months…

How To Disappear Into Strings also has quite a bit of distortion. I'm pretty sensitive to inner groove distortion and have my cart alignment dialled, i.e. this is definitely an issue with the pressing, damn

At least they are doing their best and keeping us informed.

"Hello there,

We are writing with an important update regarding your order.

There are shipping delays affecting the "SCARRY" 3LP Special Edition.

The stock is currently awaiting collection from the manufacturers in Europe. As you may already be aware there are supply chain disruptions and challenges that are affecting transportation of goods globally. This has caused unprecedented backlogs with companies including W.A.S.T.E, competing for vehicle transportation and delivery dates.

On this basis we now anticipate being able to dispatch your order mid-December.

We want to sincerely apologise for the disappointment this news may have caused."

Got my SCARRY 3LP version just arrived, the box weighed a ton so I had no idea what it was when the Hermes lady handed it over, the book is massive!

Got my SCARRY 3LP version just arrived, the box weighed a ton so I had no idea what it was when the Hermes lady handed it over, the book is massive!

Will keep an eye out for the hermes van tomorrow. Can hear it miles away, dragging a net of parcels behind it, bouncing along the floor.

advertisement

Back