advertisement

Driver update software?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
The mouse stopped working, and after unplugging and plugging back in, I had the dreaded blue-screen-of-death (Windows 10 pc).
I looked up the error and the most likely problem is out of date drivers.

Should I download some driver update software? Any recommendations?

Unless you have repeated problems, i'd consider this a one off and just random. Switch off, switch back on, see how it behaves. Chances are it won't reoccur

I’ve had that on my Windows 10 PC again after an update lately and removing the old serial port card solved the problem. It was indeed a driver issue that Windows messed with. You probably won’t find new drivers at all (and as an aside, don’t click on those magical driver websites, they are all crap).
Not uncommon this anyway.

The mouse stopped working, and after unplugging and plugging back in, I had the dreaded blue-screen-of-death (Windows 10 pc).
I looked up the error and the most likely problem is out of date drivers.

Should I download some driver update software? Any recommendations?
A lot of that auto driver update stuff has unwanted programs or malware included so no Ikd go old skool and manually install them. The bsod info you looked up should give you what driver is likely at fault, common ones are Nvidia graphics drivers and USB 3 drivers. IRQ Not equal is what we were seeing for a while with a certain video chipset, pic below for others to see.

If your error message pointed to the mouse I’d go to the PC makers support site or motherboard support site and install the latest Chipset and USB drivers. If the mouse is a fancy one like Logitech MX, install the latest Setpoint or Logitech software from their support site.

Windows update has an Optional Updates link that often has a few drivers, we install them if there are problems like you are getting, otherwise we stick with the latest driver versions from the manufacturer support site.

Do not use the auto driver update programs as said above they are an excuse to load your pC with malware. Worst consequence of which is a ransom demand to unencrypt your PC. If you need a mouse driver go to the Microsoft site or the mouse manufacturer site.

Don’t discount that the mouse has simply died, it does happen I had a Logitech gaming something or other do this. Over a period it juddered a bit then one day have up the ghost.

The blue screen was stuck at 0% (Stop Code: DPC-WATCHDOG_VIOLATION), so I restarted it and everything seems ok for now.

I'll update the drivers, and see how I get on...

That’s an old error usually caused because of the SSD make and onboard chipset not playing nice. Wouldn’t do anything until it happens a second time cos by now this shouldn’t occur unless you’re running a years old version of Win 10 and/or a really old motherboard.

The fix was to use a different driver and usually change the current manufacturer installed SATA /AHCI driver to the Microsoft Standard SATA/AHCI one.

Would leave things alone unless it happens again.

Running a CHKDSK might be an idea, rule out a faulty hard disk.

...and after you have checked the disk out launch a cmd prompt in admin mode and type SFC /scannow/ This will scan and fix errors in your Windows system and once finished reboot.

As a general rule problems that are repeatable point to software issues whilst random events point to hardware problems. You actually performed a physical manoeuvre whilst the computer was powered up and thats hardware. But the question is why did the mouse stop working? Software or hardware?

Cheers,

DV

...and after you have checked the disk out launch a cmd prompt in admin mode and type SFC /scannow/ This will scan and fix errors in your Windows system and once finished reboot.

As a general rule problems that are repeatable point to software issues whilst random events point to hardware problems. You actually performed a physical manoeuvre whilst the computer was powered up and thats hardware. But the question is why did the mouse stop working? Software or hardware?

Cheers,

DV

Tried CHKDSK and SFC/scannow/ but no faults are showing.

The Mouse is only is few weeks old, and just a cheap HP one.

The Mouse is only is few weeks old, and just a cheap HP one.

Remember electronic faults follow the bathtub failure curve. More faults when new with a rapid decline followed by a long period of few problems then a gradual increase.

Just because it is fairly new doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

Windows update finds driver updates very well these days, run it and check out the optional updates the driver updates are in there.

Pete

There's a blast from the past...............

Regards

Richard
Some old external devices require a bidirectional RS232 computer interface. The problem is two fold a) can the application software interface with a modern port such as USB if so a USB to RS232 bidirectional adapter (you have to hunt them down) can be used and b) if not then an RS232 card will be required and preferably a new one that is still supported by the manufacturer as they supply their drivers to M$.

Incidentally that RS232 serial protocol has mutated into what we now call USB. Thunderbolt (Apples enhanced USB) even supports daisy chaining several devices together just like the old RS232 port did.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back