advertisement

Err - why??

There`s a fair number of "vintage" TV enthusiasts about though it`s not something I really understand, IF it worked you`d need a standards converter to use it and at best you`d get a smallish low resolution picture.....

Looks a bit pricey too.

It will work fine on 625 if it works at all with one of those old DVB set top box converters.

You'd be surprised how much interest there is in vintage TV equipment. No idea why though.

At least some of the nerdery is from vintage PC enthusiasts looking for an appropriate monitor for their ZX81 or somesuch. old 14 inch colour TV's are ridiculously expensive. Wish I hadn't taken my fully working one to the tip a few years ago now.

There`s a fair number of "vintage" TV enthusiasts about though it`s not something I really understand, IF it worked you`d need a standards converter to use it and at best you`d get a smallish low resolution picture.....

There is certainly a market for old TVs, both the nostalgia market for classic 1950s valve ‘roundies’ etc (see Shango066 on YouTube, he can get absolutely anything up and working again, just unbelievable what can be made to work!) and 80s and 90s TVs in the retro computer market. Old 8 bit computers, consoles and arcade games look like crap on a big LCD screen, just all kinds of wrong. I’ve still got my old late-90s 4x3 21” Sony Trinitron CRT for old computer fun with my BBC B & ZX Spectrum. Just so much more ‘right’ than the 50” 4k Sony flatscreen that is on actual TV duty. One could argue that a 14” Microvitec Cub would be better again, but I already had the Sony and it still works perfectly!

PS The Sony has SCART, which is more than my main TV has, so I can connect both the BBC B Micro via its RGB out and also the BT Freeview box, so it can still serve as a backup TV if the flatscreen fails (the CRT has outlived three of them!).

....annnnnnnnd, they had speakers you could actually hear well, rather than the puny little efforts installed within the confines of a flat panel TV.
Would you like a sound bar with that Sir?
Not only but also, what happened to analogue sound-only out? Hmph, hmph.

As Tony says there are vintage TV enthusiasts who enjoy restoring this gear. The British Vintage Wireless Society seems to also include early televisions. People enjoy the history of the objects and the challenge of bringing them back to life. I once visited the house of a fantastic electronics engineer who had a dozen or so valve tellies on display in his living room - they all worked!

You could just as easily ask why anyone messes around with an old fangled carbide lamp on their vintage motorcycle. Is fun innit ;-)

At work so can't see the link but good quality CRTs are the best way to play older retro games and consoles - flat panels just don't cut it or give the correct look. The retro games market has skyrocketed in the past year or so and so too has older TVs.

Good Evening All,

I can understand the appeal but when you have to convert a modern digital signal back to VHF 405 or UHF 625 line type transmissions it seems pointless.

I know I was quite frustrated when I built a simple crystal set for my two sons a few years ago only to find next to naff all stations to tune into.............

Regards

Richard

The British Vintage Wireless Society seems to also include early televisions.)
Yes they do and there is an event this coming Sunday at Royal Wootton Bassett. Several regulars there bring old TV's to the events.

There are also dedicated Facebook groups for servicing. I am a member, purely for nostalgia, as I spent many years in the TV industry and have built a few in the past.

As others have said, it is a growing market for gamers.

advertisement

Back