advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work on the basis that anyone not complying is absolutely gasping to be confronted so they can get something, totally unrelated, off their chest and spit all sorts of stuff into your face. Keep schtum and carry on is my advise…

On the other hand it's become a pretty reliable way to spot the d*cks among us.

I wonder whether the folks proudly strutting around maskless realize that the message that they are broadcasting to others is either
- I am a selfish d*ck OR
- I am extremely gullible and fall for every conspiracy theory I read on Facetweetagramtok.

I'm sure many of them think they are demonstrating their individualism / independence / bravery, but that's not how me, my wife, or anyone else I've spoken with views it.

I went for a 'pre-op' assessment for knee surgery yesterday, and was told that I'll be more vulnerablle to Covid after the 'op'. It seems that the op makes you more vulnerable to infection with Covid. It seems the immune system gets all wound up about the assault on the knee and 'takes its eye off the Covid ball'. I've just been reading about 'booster boosters', or fourth jabs before elective surgery, so I'll enquire about that.
Any views?

Here in Cornwall having been under the yoke of the English for some while now I have to report only 2%ish weren’t wearing masks in Tescos. There is no ‘Greeter’ to offer you a mask like a year ago.

I work on the basis that anyone not complying is absolutely gasping to be confronted so they can get something, totally unrelated, off their chest and spit all sorts of stuff into your face. Keep schtum and carry on is my advise…

Keeping schtum doesn't guarantee avoiding morons: one screamed an expletive at my daughter for wearing a mask a few days ago.

Received my first notification through the COVID App yesterday whilst at work. So came home to isolate and have done a PCR this morning. We do LFTs everyday and they have all been clear so I shall await the PCR result.

PCR came back negative after I was alerted by T&T. A big relief as I spend a lot of time caring for very elderly in-laws although we try to protect them by doing LFTs everyday. There is a lot of COVID about at the moment and my brother in law is awaiting PCR result after two positive LFTs and feeling unwell. All this and before we are seeing the effects of Omicron at a local level.

Omicron proves we’re not in control of Covid – only global action can stop this pandemic
Jeremy Farrar
If we keep allowing this virus to spread through unvaccinated populations, the next variant could be even more deadly

"It is understandable that countries are moving to use boosters to protect their populations. This must happen in parallel with ensuring global vaccine supply. Supply is finally increasing, and, with political will, it can be achieved. Rich countries, who have the majority of existing supply, must share more doses over the coming months."

Covid travel test changes a 'hammer blow' to industry

Under the changes, travellers will be required to show proof of a negative PCR or lateral flow test taken no earlier than 48 hours before departure

Source: BBC

Really? A hammer blow?

I listened to some travel association spokesman complaining about this yesterday. He needs a wake up call, tbh.

I suspect there are many like me who won’t fly anywhere right now. This is a step in the right direction making it more likely people will be prepared to get on a plane. If anything, it hasn’t gone far enough, it should be proof of PCR test and not lateral flow test.

I was on a cruise recently and I can tell you the virus is taken very seriously, it seems more seriously than by airlines. Everyone had to prove a negative PCR test done no more than 3 days before boarding. No proof, they don’t even let you into the terminal. It’s not a problem to do this, it’s not a hammer blow to the cruise industry and it certainly does not prevent people from flying, quite the opposite insofar as it will give confidence in flying.

I went for a 'pre-op' assessment for knee surgery yesterday, and was told that I'll be more vulnerablle to Covid after the 'op'. It seems that the op makes you more vulnerable to infection with Covid. It seems the immune system gets all wound up about the assault on the knee and 'takes its eye off the Covid ball'. I've just been reading about 'booster boosters', or fourth jabs before elective surgery, so I'll enquire about that.
Any views?

sounds like a realistic approach unless they do an antibody test and say you’re fine?

An really excellent paper here on masks

There is ample evidence that masking and social distancing are effective in reducing severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) transmission. However, due to the complexity of airborne disease transmission, it is difficult to quantify their effectiveness, especially in the case of one-to-one exposure. Here, we introduce the concept of an upper bound for one-to-one exposure to infectious human respiratory particles and apply it to SARS-CoV-2. To calculate exposure and infection risk, we use a comprehensive database on respiratory particle size distribution; exhalation flow physics; leakage from face masks of various types and fits measured on human subjects; consideration of ambient particle shrinkage due to evaporation; and rehydration, inhalability, and deposition in the susceptible airways. We find, for a typical SARS-CoV-2 viral load and infectious dose, that social distancing alone, even at 3.0 m between two speaking individuals, leads to an upper bound of 90% for risk of infection after a few minutes. If only the susceptible wears a face mask with infectious speaking at a distance of 1.5 m, the upper bound drops very significantly; that is, with a surgical mask, the upper bound reaches 90% after 30 min, and, with an FFP2 mask, it remains at about 20% even after 1 h. When both wear a surgical mask, while the infectious is speaking, the very conservative upper bound remains below 30% after 1 h, but, when both wear a well-fitting FFP2 mask, it is 0.4%. We conclude that wearing appropriate masks in the community provides excellent protection for others and oneself, and makes social distancing less important.

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

Went to an event at the South Bank last night (booked before omicron). Was a bit nervous but reassured by an email the day before that read:

In light of the latest government advice on Covid-19, the Southbank Centre has taken the decision to require face coverings to be worn in our buildings, including during performances as an additional measure ... If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, please advise a member of the team upon arrival ... If you are not exempt, but refuse to wear a face covering, you may not be permitted access to our buildings.

Of course in practice it was largely ignored, the staff didn't challenge anyone and only about half the audience wore a face covering. Sigh.

Won't be doing that again anytime soon.

That’s really disappointing Paul. I have tickets to the Boston Ballet Nutcracker on Christmas Eve and they require masks and proof of vaccination. I will break out my small stash of N95 masks for that one and I’ll be very disappointed if all of the audience are mot masked. Will report back.

the Covid sampling in Boston’s sewage is getting close to the highest levels ever recorded- the only thing saving us from carnage at the moment is the high vaccination rate.

Went to an event at the South Bank last night (booked before omicron). Was a bit nervous but reassured by an email the day before that read:

In light of the latest government advice on Covid-19, the Southbank Centre has taken the decision to require face coverings to be worn in our buildings, including during performances as an additional measure ... If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, please advise a member of the team upon arrival ... If you are not exempt, but refuse to wear a face covering, you may not be permitted access to our buildings.

Of course in practice it was largely ignored, the staff didn't challenge anyone and only about half the audience wore a face covering. Sigh.

I’d be tempted to write to the management. The entertainment industry got absolutely mullered during the lockdown, and the recovery is a bit tentative. Many won’t return until some form of normality is reestablished, so the last thing the venues will want is for those who are prepared to attend, to then have a bad experience and stay away again.

On the other hand it's become a pretty reliable way to spot the d*cks among us.

I wonder whether the folks proudly strutting around maskless realize that the message that they are broadcasting to others is either
- I am a selfish d*ck OR
- I am extremely gullible and fall for every conspiracy theory I read on Facetweetagramtok.

I'm sure many of them think they are demonstrating their individualism / independence / bravery, but that's not how me, my wife, or anyone else I've spoken with views it.

It also screams “I have poor personal hygiene”.

it hasn’t gone far enough, it should be proof of PCR test and not lateral flow test.

Absolutely I can't believe the government are seriously suggesting any thing other than a PCR test administered by a "medical professional" as being acceptable. This assumes the lateral flow test will be self-administered.

Regards

Richard

I went to the RNCM a few weeks back for a concert.
Checking of status was risible. My NHS pass was waved through from over 6 feet away, people in front got in with their vaccination record card. Masks were worn until we got into the theatre then 99% were removed. I realise they were not compulsory but it seems crazy.
I have subsequently sold on tickets for Deacon Blue and got a refund for Stewart Lee.
I won’t be going to any art venue for the foreseeable future.

I have been very wary of booking anything tbh, I took the plunge for next Sept with Nils Frahm, but they can easily be disposed of if needs be.
Ulrich Schnaus in Birmingham & Ian Boddy in Liverpool really appeal, but next April. For now I will decide at a later date.

Did two pre Omicron (Hackett & Boddy) neither would be a goer now (Symphony Hall/Hackett and a tiny venue on Brum, only 50% allowed for distanced seating/Ian Boddy)

Prof Dame Sarah Gilbert, delivering the 44th Richard Dimbleby Lecture, said there needed to be more funding for pandemic preparedness to prevent the advances made from being lost.

She also warned vaccines could be less effective against the Omicron variant.

Dame Sarah added that people should be cautious until more was known about it.

She said: "This will not be the last time a virus threatens our lives and our livelihoods. The truth is, the next one could be worse. It could be more contagious, or more lethal, or both.

"We cannot allow a situation where we have gone through all we have gone through, and then find that the enormous economic losses we have sustained mean that there is still no funding for pandemic preparedness," she added.

"The advances we have made, and the knowledge we have gained, must not be lost."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59542211

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back