advertisement

Mandatory microchipping for cats. The New World Order is here.

Both our cats are strays. We took them in after our dog died. Once we’d decided to keep them we had them both neutered and chipped. We’ve had Tibbs two years this Christmas and Ginger has been with us just over twelve months though we’d been feeding him outside for some time. Tibbs dad is a proper feral cat and has been visiting for food for four maybe five years now and has recently started coming into the house. If he decides he wants to stay he’ll get the same treatment. There’s an awful lot of cats in our neighbourhood that favour him :eek:

Big Brother. New World Order. Etc. That sort of thing. It has arrived. It was only a matter of time.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cat-microchipping-to-be-made-mandatory

All cat owners "must ensure their pet is microchipped before they reach the age of 20 weeks and their contact details stored and kept up to date in a pet microchipping database."

Cats today. People tomorrow. Mark my words. This will be a dry run for the microchipping of humans.

Within five years (at the latest), everyone will be microchipped. Mark my words. Again. Supermarket security barriers will be beeping like crazy. Everyone will be setting them off.

My wife belongs to a local online community chat or whatever it is and believe me 10-20 cats disappear monthly and are rarely reported found so something goes on with the felines, occasionally a dog is found wandering i.e. dumped on a street but lord knows where the cats end up?

They do here as well but the culprits are pretty well known:

20200118_USP002.jpg

Frankly, I’m surprised this wasn’t mandatory years ago when it became compulsory for dogs. Cats roam more than dogs, so the need would appear to be obvious. Why dogs and not cats for all this time? So it’s overdue IMHO.

Exactly, there are too many feral cats here and they spread all sorts of diseases including Leishmaniasis and tick born evils. Reproducing at least twice per year makes a big problem worse, catching and neutering is not easy.

Who mentioned a sack and water??

Frankly, I’m surprised this wasn’t mandatory years ago when it became compulsory for dogs. Cats roam more than dogs, so the need would appear to be obvious. Why dogs and not cats for all this time? So it’s overdue IMHO.

Do you still need a licence for a dog?

My cat is microchipped for my own peace of mind should he be found having gone missing.

Also, as above, to keep his entrance for his exclusive use.

My cats seem to coexist with the local foxes, though the fox that kept coming into the kitchen to get to the cat's bowl, pushing past any humans on the way, got short shrift from the dainty little lady cat if she spotted it.

Oh yes, but that isn't a cute fox, that's Mr. Wile E. Coyote.

Saw this early this morning and thought it must be April....but no...

Seems an odd thing to mandate - cat chipping. Is there still not a legal difference between dogs and cats?

If I remember...One is responsible for the actions of one's dog, but a cat is not a 'property' and whatever it gets up, you do not have to carry any responsibility. Cats generally get to choose where they live - you are privileged (or foolish, or mug enough perhaps) if they choose to stay with you.

We have both cats and dogs - all chipped. Interesting that we only 'pet insure' the dogs.

advertisement

Back