advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

The carbon-carbon material of disc and pad is poor at conducting heat, this means you can run the brakes much hotter, so improving cooling with the air flow, without heating the fluid.

I think the old standard AP600 brake fluid was pretty much as good as it got and boils (when fresh and dry...) at something over 300C.

I used to use Castrol SRF in my rally car, it boils at 325degC, but it is very hygroscopic and I had to change it after every event. Fed up with the expense and hassle I switched to regular dot5 and never had any problems - probably because I was competing mostly on tarmac and hardly ever used left-foot braking.

I used to use Castrol SRF in my rally car, it boils at 325degC, but it is very hygroscopic and I had to change it after every event. Fed up with the expense and hassle I switched to regular dot5 and never had any problems - probably because I was competing mostly on tarmac and hardly ever used left-foot braking.
Isn't DoT 5 the silicone stuff? Not thought about brake fluid for years. I faded my Caterham brakes using standard fluid (not on the road...) so started using AP600, which lasted long enough not to be a maintenance hassle.

The manufacturers always quote the Equilibrium Reflux Boiling Point (ERBP) but that represents when it is already boiling and evaporating at a specific rate.

So Endless RBF360 may start boiling at around 260C, but they quote 360C or thereabouts.

Once it has achieved 360C you will have a long brake pedal!

1st quali tomorrow could see a major incident with cars going very slow in the blind corners, there were a couple of near misses today.

Am I being insensitive here, but Kingspan make insulation not cladding. How is it any fault of Kingspan that their product was used in a building that caught fire aided by shoddy cladding? Kingpsan is used on pretty much every construction site going, it isn't down to them who buys it and installs it. Jesus christ, we're going down a mental rabbit hole here.

As I understand it the wrong material was used as in it was not fire resistant to the required level.

But Kingspan were not aware that this material had been used for this purpose (they had no involvement in the build process) as their material was only used as there was a shortfall in the original material and was presumably purchased from a supplier when the builders ran short.

The Kingspan issue is not just about Grenfell. There are many high rise buildings that have been subsequently identified as having unsafe cladding insulation and I assume that this includes Kingspan products (Grenfell was mainly Celotex).

The Kingspan issue is not just about Grenfell. There are many high rise buildings that have been subsequently identified as having unsafe cladding insulation and I assume that this includes Kingspan products (Grenfell was mainly Celotex).

But what has that got to do with Kingspan the company and its advertising?

But what has that got to do with Kingspan the company and its advertising?

Many of these companies do specify and assist Architects for the project. However, when things go wrong, as they clearly have, they are absolving themselves of responsibility. We currently have many buildings within the UK that need Billions of pounds spent to remediate the insulation problems and the Taxpayer will foot the biggest part of that bill. In these circumstances, it doesn't look good that Kingspan have found money to sponsor an F1 Team.

Many of these companies do specify and assist Architects for the project. However, when things go wrong, as they clearly have, they are absolving themselves of responsibility. We currently have many buildings within the UK that need Billions of pounds spent to remediate the insulation problems and the Taxpayer will foot the biggest part of that bill. In these circumstances, it doesn't look good that Kingspan have found money to sponsor an F1 Team.
I agree with all that you have said and was going to add the following last night, from my experience of having worked at Mercedes F1 for a long time.

Many years ago Merc had some corporate compliance problems that became public in Germany. So everyone at Merc F1 had to go through corporate compliance training. With the core message being that Merc had to be whiter than white. So I was very surprised to hear that Merc had signed a marketing deal with Kingspan and concluded that this would cause them problems.

When a company keeps their fire tests secret...which then contributes to a fire that kills lots of people..then I wouldnt expect them to be so vocal in the very public world of the F1 stage . It smells of complete arrogance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55986486

"Kingspan Insulation had no knowledge that its product was being used until after the fire.'....bollox, because a Kingspan sales rep sure sold the material to someone., and they didn't disclose the fire tests. Ultimately this would attribute to their responsibility in this being as high as the company installing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ares-in-grenfell-tower-cladding-firm-kingspan

"The public inquiry into the disaster has heard that Kingspan sold its plastic foam insulation without telling customers that it had failed fire tests. The inquiry heard one Kingspan executive responded to a contractor who pointed out the material might fuel fire in some uses by suggesting they “can go f’#ck themselves, and if they are not careful we’ll sue the a’#se of [sic] them”."

Mercedes have properly let themselves and their fans, and myself, down on this.

Watching quali, interesting that tyre degradation is very low on the Saudi track. I remember from my time there how the tread on your car tyres didn’t wear because the material they used for the roads was softer than the compound that tyres were made from.

advertisement

Back