advertisement

Show me your hifi cabinet, not stands, cabinets.

Vintage MCM credenza. The main rig sits on top, but the tuner, cassette deck and HDCD player all reside in the cabinet. The drawers on the left are great for all sorts of hi-fi goodies /accessories. Having a cabinet to support all my gear might not be the most audiophile solution, but it hides the cables nicely and is good for domestic harmony.
gi.mpl

Nice setup. Amp looks like a JVC AX-Z1010TN? What is the Turntable and the rest of the kit?

Nice setup. Amp looks like a JVC AX-Z1010TN? What is the Turntable and the rest of the kit?

Thanks muchly! You are correct on the amp...I was one of the lucky canucks who was able to land a NOS unit and it's a keeper. TT is a 20 year old VPI Aries with VPI arm. Cartridge in the photo is an Audio Technica AT150sa. CD transport is an Esoteric (Teac) P700. DAC is built into the JVC amp.

Ikea platsa units 3x 800mm wide x 500mm deep base units with open backs for cabling - cabinets either side for music storage. Black MDF Top (Ikea again 600 deep allows light strip under overhang) is isolated from base units with thin 3mm neoprene, i get absolutely no sound transmission from speakers to turntable, works for me. The shelves are adjustable to suit your equipment height. I have placed double shelves under the preamp, turntable and AV amp allowing me to pull out the whole unit without disturbing the cables... The turntable is suspended on skyhooks! :cool: It might not look like much but I like to see my stuff as well as listen to it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182114910@N06/shares/1m06fn
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182114910@N06/shares/aC5x3w
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/products/?q=platsa frame
still learning how to embed images - as soon as i do will add :( but in meantime have added links to images.

I've been looking into hi-fi cabinets myself recently, trying to find something off-the-shelf that would be wide enough to accommodate 2 460 mm boxes side-by-side, and at least 450 mm deep without costing a fortune. I didn't find anything suitable. It occurred to me however that a kitchen base unit is the perfect size. As standard they are approximately 720 mm high (excluding the plinth), and 560 mm deep, including the rear void for pipework. A 1000 mm wide kitchen base unit, with the rear void cut off to give a 500 mm total depth and the top and sides dressed up with some kitchen end panels should produce a nice hi-fi cabinet. I might also make a face frame and add some overlapping sliding glass doors.

This solution is quite cost effective and versatile. For example the rear void could be left to hide cables or power strips, or you could cut the cabinet down in height. They also have the holes pre-drilled for adjustable shelving.

I've been looking into hi-fi cabinets myself recently, trying to find something off-the-shelf that would be wide enough to accommodate 2 460 mm boxes side-by-side, and at least 450 mm deep without costing a fortune. I didn't find anything suitable. It occurred to me however that a kitchen base unit is the perfect size. As standard they are approximately 720 mm high (excluding the plinth), and 560 mm deep, including the rear void for pipework. A 1000 mm wide kitchen base unit, with the rear void cut off to give a 500 mm total depth and the top and sides dressed up with some kitchen end panels should produce a nice hi-fi cabinet. I might also make a face frame and add some overlapping sliding glass doors.

This solution is quite cost effective and versatile. For example the rear void could be left to hide cables or power strips, or you could cut the cabinet down in height. They also have the holes pre-drilled for adjustable shelving.

Sounds ideal and I am impressed with your thinking, but white only ?

You won't get any likes from the cabinet snobs though.

I have just remodelled my lounge and have used kitchen units for my hifi. I have used 3 off 800 wide units in a 2400 alcove with handleless doors in matt graphite grey, with solid walnut 27mm worktop. other than the TT on the top, the only visible cables are the speaker cables, which exit from holes at either end of the plinth.
I'll post some pics later.
We are very pleased with how tidy it all is compared to the previous racks. I do have to leave the doors ajar in the unit containing the amp and preamp, for heat dissipation and for the remote to work.

I have just remodelled my lounge and have used kitchen units for my hifi. I have used 3 off 800 wide units in a 2400 alcove with handleless doors in matt graphite grey, with solid walnut 27mm worktop. other than the TT on the top, the only visible cables are the speaker cables, which exit from holes at either end of the plinth.
I'll post some pics later.
We are very pleased with how tidy it all is compared to the previous racks. I do have to leave the doors ajar in the unit containing the amp and preamp, for heat dissipation and for the remote to work.

Get a remote repeater and the doors can remain shut.

Also when I did similar previously, I fitted one of these in the cabinet and it kept the temperature controlled..

AC Infinity AIRPLATE T7, Quiet Cooling Fan System with Thermostat Control, for Home Theater AV Cabinets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QFWWZQO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sounds ideal and I am impressed with your thinking, but white only ?

You won't get any likes from the cabinet snobs though.

You can get units and end panels in different colours from some kitchen suppliers, Ikea included. And there's always vinyl wrap, which can look great if done properly.

advertisement

Back