advertisement

CD Transport to partner Chord Qutest DAC

Tim Purley

Hear today
Thinking of replacing my NAIM CDX with a separate CD Transport / Chord Qutest combination. Will be feeding into my Teddy Pardo PRI / MB100 set up (and Royd speakers).
Any suggestions for transports I should audition that are a good match for the Qutest?

Cheap?
2nd hand DVD player such as a Cambridge 540 (you can't give the things away)

Mine will play a tangentially scratched CD nothing else can handle.

The only problem with DVD or BLURAY players as CD transports is they tend to take a little time to decide what type of disc you've given them before playing any music.

Budget? Slot loader , too loader or tray ?
Relaxed about format - more interested in making the most of the Qutest and rest of the system. Local dealer was suggesting Audiolab (@£400) or one of the Cyrus range (£1k+), so had me wondering if the extra £600 is necessary / vfm!

Won’t the dealer let you try them?
I have the Audiolab playing into a mojo and think it’s excellent.

Relaxed about format - more interested in making the most of the Qutest and rest of the system. Local dealer was suggesting Audiolab (@£400) or one of the Cyrus range (£1k+), so had me wondering if the extra £600 is necessary / vfm!
I have a cyrus transport...its getting on now and my other cd transports are close to each other but miles away from the cyrus..money well spent

Won’t the dealer let you try them?
I have the Audiolab playing into a mojo and think it’s excellent.
He will - indeed he's encouraging me to have a demo. Reason for posting here is to hear others' experiences of using various transports with a Qutest. Your endorsement of the Audiolab / Chord combo is encouraging, thanks!

Used to have a Meridian 500 which was ace but getting long in the tooth now and spares are a concern, I believe the later version Mk3 can still be repaired and a new laser mech sourced. Now I use an Oppo 103 as transport, you get used to the loading time, sounds good and is able to play all formats, I also had the Qutest for a while.

CDX is a great player, I had one for many years. I would either stick with it or go a bit radical with an Innuos Zen Mini, more money but excellent SQ & opens up other options.

Maybe a bit over budget but the Jay’s Audio CDT2 mk3 is absolutely superb, and a surprisingly audible improvement over the Cambridge CXC I had before. It’s a very beautifully constructed top loader.

Been looking for the same thing myself for a little while now and had been interested in the CEC as well as Jays Audio and the Denafrips Avatar, sadly not heard any of these, so far

CDX is a great player, I had one for many years. I would either stick with it or go a bit radical with an Innuos Zen Mini, more money but excellent SQ & opens up other options.
Ooh - very interesting suggestion that raises one query on my part. Can you use the Zen Mini as a CD transport in its own right (i.e. direct to a pre-amp or intermediate DAC) without ripping the CD? I'd be wary of a set up that introduces unnecessary signal paths.

Been looking for the same thing myself for a little while now and had been interested in the CEC as well as Jays Audio and the Denafrips Avatar, sadly not heard any of these, so far
Not sure my budget will stretch to the Jays Audio (despite JTC's glowing reference!) - but interested to hear others' thoughts on / experience of your shortlist.

Y
Ooh - very interesting suggestion that raises one query on my part. Can you use the Zen Mini as a CD transport in its own right (i.e. direct to a pre-amp or intermediate DAC) without ripping the CD? I'd be wary of a set up that introduces unnecessary signal paths.
You’ll get something very similar by utilising the free Vortexbox software and either spare hardware of your own or something bought. Whatever, it is great software.

There’s also Daphile software which looks great.

The Zen Mini has an internal dac & a direct digital out via co-ax or USB. I ran a CDX/XPS 2 for many years & now have an ATC CDA2, I plug the Zen into Dac within this unit.

You have to rip the CD to the hard drive but this is done lossless; I reckon it’s the best digital source I’ve had. You can also stream via Tidal or Qbuz or Spotify connect. It also opens up a plethora of internet radio options.

I now have the option to play a CD or a rip of it; I am using the Zen more than CD.

Make a big change or keep what you have.

Are you sure the zen mini has a dac and coax out? Mine doesn’t, it’s a mini 2 so maybe the 3 does. Still a great player for the money though.

advertisement

Back