advertisement

Which sound quality is good, TL072 or TL082?

Which sound quality is good, TL072 or TL082?

• TL072

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • TL082

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

GUOJINMIAO

It seems that many people ask TL072 and TL082, which better is.
In my point of view, TL072/082/NE5532 are dual op-amps. Early YAMAHA mixers (such as the MX series) used TL072 more; the performance of TL082 is worse than TL072 (especially noise). It is used less, but it is also useful. Some low-end audio cards in South Korea use more TL082, and more RAMSA mixers use NE5532.
And the function of an op-amp can be seen:
The operational amplifier is a widely used linear integrated circuit. Furthermore, there are numerous varieties. It can be used not just to amplify weak signals, but also as an inverter and voltage follower. It's termed an operational amplifier because it can add and subtract electrical signals. It is not only widely utilized in other areas, but it is also the most commonly used in audio.
For example, discrete components and electronic tubes are used in pre-amplification and buffering, although integrated operational amplifiers are used in the majority of headphone amplifiers. It's also sometimes utilized to construct a high-precision voltage stabilizing filter circuit on the voltage stabilizing circuit.
Maybe u can see the article which is like to be more detailed.
Good Listening!

The TL072 is a selection of TL082, screened for noise. It is the same chip inside. Penalty is price.
The series has poor output drive, much less than a 5532.

David beat me to it (damn those timezones!) but yes, same super simple chip, just either trimmed to suit orders or selected at test and marked up as '72 or 82. Also IIRC they're a pain for ESD as pretty much nothing protecting them.

There’s a lot of myths around op-amp sound quality.
I’ve never been really able to tell the good ones apart since the 5532/34 were released back in the early 80’s. Back then – when I studied electronics – the µA741 was king.
My Quad 34’s for instance use those ancient op-amps. I wouldn’t replace them just because some Dadaist says they are bad. They aren’t.

I for one would indeed be curious to know how many of those your favourite recordings went through!

Exactly, not really suited to hi-fi. In the 70’s and 80’s it was everywhere!
Look at the diagram though and discover the stages of most discrete power amps on the planet…

However, my first RIAA preamp used BC 109 transistors. Not very good either, but better.
Then valves it was, circa 1983.
On to today, I still use valves but op-amps are excellent. They have been since the release of the seminal 5532/34.

There where valve OP-amps. Two double triodes in a porcelain holder. Don't have a clue if any where ever used in audio.

My experience is that the uA741 was rare in audio equipment, it was a bit too expensive against discretes before the jfet competitors appeared. The TL08x family was always popular and sometimes you came across the LM301 or LM833.
Cheap gear went for the horrible LM358. Later the LM4558 became dominant.

advertisement

Back