advertisement

Would you buy flood-submerged equipment?

What proportion of normal resale price has this flood-submerged equipment?

• 0%

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • 5%

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • 15%

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 80%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can see how this will pan out if you flog this stuff for her (obvs not here). Newbie rolls up to pfm next month-first post. 'Hi all new here, just bought a (component listed by op) and my system sounds shit, worse than that, it smells like shit too. Any help appreciated.

A side note here, a friend just turned up at my door earlier in the year with some 1970s Sony electronics and a pioneer turntable that had lived its first few years in a heavy smokers home, and the last 30 years or so in a garage (it belonged to his brother in law who died over 30 years ago)… I spent hours on cleaning, repairing it and fettling it and a fair amount of money on parts, including a brand new cartridge… He then tried to get me to buy it from him, and he’d massively over valued it, going off those bogus Japanese listings on eBay that list kit at 10x it’s actual value (whilst massively undervaluing my services)… I told him what It was really worth, showed him completed listings, costs of listing, then the time and money already invested… he accused me of trying to take the piss out of him… I removed a shitty dust bug cleaning arm from the plinth of the deck in order to properly clean it up to like new condition, and he phoned me up having a pop about that when he realised too. Some people just think that all the burden should be on someone else.

PS, I’m still out of pocket for my time and for ALL of the parts, cartridge included.

The lesson here and from the OP's situation is don't do business with friends.

If she has insurance it’ll be covered, probably new for old. If not it’s hardly your fault.

I suspect you’re copping the frustration and upset.

Walk away.

I spent hours on cleaning, repairing it and fettling it and a fair amount of money on parts, including a brand new cartridge… He then tried to get me to buy it from him, and he’d massively over valued it..

I wouldn't have done this. I would've told him straight off what the kit was worth and said it wasn't worth my time touching it. I have had friends who were, shall we say, hard to help! But I don't see them any more, if you know what I mean?

If someone is a good friend I'll do anything for them, and don't expect anything back, but if they try to take advantage I won't do anything at all. Money is never involved. I either do things for free, because they are friends, or I don't do it at all. Keeps it simple.

One exception was a friend who wanted parts fitted to his road bike which required a specific specialized tool, which I didn't have. I told him I'd do it if he bought me the tool, so I got a free tool!

I wouldn't have done this. I would've told him straight off what the kit was worth and said it wasn't worth my time touching it. I have had friends who were, shall we say, hard to help! But I don't see them any more, if you know what I mean?

If someone is a good friend I'll do anything for them, and don't expect anything back, but if they try to take advantage I won't do anything at all. Money is never involved. I either do things for free, because they are friends, or I don't do it at all. Keeps it simple.

One exception was a friend who wanted parts fitted to his road bike which required a specific specialized tool, which I didn't have. I told him I'd do it if he bought me the tool, so I got a free tool!
Here’s the thing, I didn’t ask for a penny from him for the work I did or the parts I fitted, I did it for free because he’s a mate, but then he tried to pressure me to buy them, and for significantly more than that were worth… I said I didn’t want them but told him honestly what they were really worth and what to expect if he were to list them for sale… he got really pissy about it and started questioning why my kit, in particular my new LP12 was worth thousands of pounds and his kit wasn’t, to which explained that my kit was modern (relatively) high end, high performance kit and his was mediocre stuff from the 70s… he didn’t like it, but I wasn’t going to give him £1500 for a pioneer PL112d and a bottom end Sony amp and tuner, and neither was anyone else. I didn’t want them at 1/10th of that, I just didn’t want them full stop, I already have a surplus of kit, and all of it is higher end kit than that.

..he got really pissy about it and started questioning why my kit, in particular my new LP12 was worth thousands of pounds and his kit wasn’t..

Guy sounds like a dick. I'm way too old to put up with so called friends like that. When you're young I think you worry about not having friends. Then you get to an age when you want most of the people in the world to leave you the feck alone.

Guy sounds like a dick. I'm way too old to put up with so called friends like that. When you're young I think you worry about not having friends. Then you get to an age when you want most of the people in the world to leave you the feck alone.
It has driven a wedge to be honest, pre pandemic we were band mates, I provided all the kit, the rehearsal space (my dining room), food and drink whilst rehearsing, and transport to and from gigs whilst everyone else had a drink… I can’t be arsed now, everything was always on me and that was the last straw.

It's a heck of a specialized responsibility to even contemplate resurrecting any of this drowned gear, working or not. The owner can't really expect to make money from this stuff. In fact, I would apologetically give it all to to someone who might be able to fix and use some of it, rather than trying to resell it. Bits and pieces could be gifted to others if not used.

Without reading all the replies, sorry, I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll. My vote was cast as 5% but I couldn't be arsed in trying to find out what was and wasn't worth keeping.

"No".

Maybe back when I was a starving student I'd have considered it if an absolute bargain but even then it would have to have been from a store covered by some kind of guarantee. Some of the participants mentioned in this thread sound more like blagging acquaintances than friends :(

I'll be looking out for a newly learned category in the classifieds now: "FS: (Sewage submerged)......"

"No".

Maybe back when I was a starving student I'd have considered it if an absolute bargain but even then it would have to have been from a store covered by some kind of guarantee. Some of the participants mentioned in this thread sound more like blagging acquaintances than friends :(

I'll be looking out for a newly learned category in the classifieds now: "FS: (Sewage submerged)......"
Perhaps ‘FS’ will come to stand for ‘filled with s***’

The arm should be OK. Or maybe not.
Honestly, why are you still involved after the friend has been mistrusting? Just leave it to the insurers.

Anyway, now I understand what soak-testing means.

advertisement

Back