advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Which is low in comparison to the temps a carbon brake disc and pads reach at full retardation! I would have thought that the heat would have soaked through the pad/caliper to the fluid and boiled it. I guess those ducts feeding the brakes are doing a remarkable job!

Which is low in comparison to the temps a carbon brake disc and pads reach at full retardation! I would have thought that the heat would have soaked through the pad/caliper to the fluid and boiled it. I guess those ducts feeding the brakes are doing a remarkable job!
In addition, possibly because, at retardation, it's under pressure, and pressure elevates the boiling point of a liquid.

The carbon-carbon material of disc and pad is poor at conducting heat, this means you can run the brakes much hotter, so improving cooling with the air flow, without heating the fluid.

I think the old standard AP600 brake fluid was pretty much as good as it got and boils (when fresh and dry...) at something over 300C.

The carbon-carbon material of disc and pad is poor at conducting heat, this means you can run the brakes much hotter, so improving cooling with the air flow, without heating the fluid.

I think the old standard AP600 brake fluid was pretty much as good as it got and boils (when fresh and dry...) at something over 300C.
Good to see you here.

As Tones has stated Endless does boil at around 350C and that is a very good point re the carbon disk and pad heat conduction properties.

The wheel hub / brake duct area is designed to have a series of options to manage energy flows to heat or cool the rim and hence try to control the tyre bulk temperature over a longer run in a manner that will improve overall car performance.

Good on them both. I wish F1 as an entity would have the basic decency to boycott such oppressive and brutal places. By saying that the UK flogs arms to them, which is far beyond disgusting.

I think it's helpful if the drivers raise the awareness so it gives all the BS these countries do a 'public outing', but I agree that a more profound statement would be an entire boycott. Sadly, as we know, when money is involved, human decency often goes out of the window, especially in the Middle East.

You can see from his interview, Lewis had to be very cautious about his phrasing as no doubt the F1 bigwigs will be watching him closely, but I think made some good comments when asked for his thoughts.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...bia-for-first-time-amid-human-rights-concerns

Where were the comments about LGBTQ rights when F1 was in Qatar? Where were the comments about the USA executing those who were under 18 when they committed their crime? China?

No. Saudi Arabia is an easier target.

Where were the comments about LGBTQ rights when F1 was in Qatar? Where were the comments about the USA executing those who were under 18 when they committed their crime? China?

No. Saudi Arabia is an easier target.

Yes I believe there was, Lewis's rainbow helmet was a pretty big statement.

Fair points though.

But you can't fight a battle everywhere, every country has problems, but those in the Saudi are just rather antiquated and extremely ridiculous and affect a HUGE number of people, much more than in the US from your example.

I mean on that level, we could say the Silverstone GP should be outlawed because a % of the crowd might shop in Primark, supporting third world forced labour...

It's better to take down the 'easier targets' first, because then the bigger ones start to crumble without the foundations from their counterparts.

Yes I believe there was, Lewis's rainbow helmet was a pretty big statement.

Fair points though.

But you can't fight a battle everywhere, every country has problems, but those in the Saudi are just rather antiquated and extremely ridiculous and affect a HUGE number of people, much more than in the US from your example.

I mean on that level, we could say the Silverstone GP should be outlawed because a % of the crowd might shop in Primark, supporting third world forced labour...

It's better to take down the 'easier targets' first, because then the bigger ones start to crumble without the foundations from their counterparts.

Saudi has changed (improved) greatly over the last 20 years. Forms of democracy have been installed, especially at local politics level. Women can work in most industries, even in the military. Yes, woman can and do drive.
The main hurdle for the government there to overcome is public attitude and traditions. This is a slow process, but they’re working on it. Saudi is one of the few countries in the region to have remained stable over the last few decades, and this, combined with the gradual changes being introduced, needs applauding.

Saudi has changed (improved) greatly over the last 20 years. Forms of democracy have been installed, especially at local politics level. Women can work in most industries, even in the military. Yes, woman can and do drive.
The main hurdle for the government there to overcome is public attitude and traditions. This is a slow process, but they’re working on it. Saudi is one of the few countries in the region to have remained stable over the last few decades, and this, combined with the gradual changes being introduced, needs applauding.

Yes, we should definitely applaud...

https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/middle-east-and-north-africa/saudi-arabia/report-saudi-arabia/

Over the years, the Amnesty International report on the U.K. has made for grim reading at times. Unless we head for a total boycott as we did with South Africa, working ‘with’ rather than against Saudi must be the way.

Not entirely sure that worked with Russian and Europe, but we are not working 'with' Saudi through Formula 1, we are giving them a world stage, it takes drivers like Lewis and seb raising the awareness on that stage, otherwise, it would be completely counterproductive and just basically promoting Saudi. A boycott would be a loud clear message.

It's sad thast more drivers have not spoken up, but I fear that's some wont because they fear the repercussions of the F1 (and even their fanbase)when they don't have the esteem Lewis and Seb do.

Not entirely sure that worked with Russian and Europe, but we are not working 'with' Saudi through Formula 1, we are giving them a world stage, it takes drivers like Lewis and seb raising the awareness on that stage, otherwise, it would be completely counterproductive and just basically promoting Saudi. A boycott would be a loud clear message.

I feel that it’s all a calculated situation. Saudi knows that it’s on a path to becoming a much more modern and western country, and it’s trying to not trip itself up. Upset the wrong people too often, and the traditionalists will try to take over. That’ll put the whole country back in the 1950s. We don’t need that.
Quiet words, well thought out, from the top drivers, with background diplomacy among the owners of F1 and Saudi ministers is the way forward, for me.

I feel that it’s all a calculated situation. Saudi knows that it’s on a path to becoming a much more modern and western country, and it’s trying to not trip itself up. Upset the wrong people too often, and the traditionalists will try to take over. That’ll put the whole country back in the 1950s. We don’t need that.
Quiet words, well thought out, from the top drivers, with background diplomacy among the owners of F1 and Saudi ministers is the way forward, for me.

Fair points. For me, it's still too early the lay off directed pressure considering the reality on the ground in Saudi as highlighted by the AI report, and once Lewis and Seb retire which may not be long, there may not be anything or anyone within F1 that gives world publicity to the problems. If Amnesty had takena softly approach over the years, I doubt the small forward motions Saudi have made would have even happened. Food for thought anyway.

The problem is that the Saudis are Wahabis, the most puritanical sect of Islam (and of course the guardians of the two most holy sites in Islam). Most of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, as was Osama bin Laden. Not forgetting the not-so-long-ago disgraceful murder of the expatriate Saudi journalist Jamal Kashoggi in the embassy in Turkey, apparently on the orders of the Crown Prince, who didn't like his reporting. However, apparently the religious police have been stripped of much of their power, which is a definite plus, so hopefully the gradual changes of which you speak will be genuine attempts at advance, rather than mere window dressing.

The problem is that the Saudis are Wahabis, the most puritanical sect of Islam (and of course the guardians of the two most holy sites in Islam). Most of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, as was Osama bin Laden. Not forgetting the not-so-long-ago disgraceful murder of the expatriate Saudi journalist Jamal Kashoggi in the embassy in Turkey, apparently on the orders of the Crown Prince, who didn't like his reporting. However, apparently the religious police have been stripped of much of their power, which is a definite plus, so hopefully the gradual changes of which you speak will be genuine attempts at advance, rather than mere window dressing.
I’ve read that Bin Laden wanted Saudi citizens on the 9/11 aircraft to cause more trouble. It didn’t work.
Most of the Saudis I knew and worked with were very moderate, even a couple of the mutawa were always up for a decent chat about religion/traditions/family/football etc.

advertisement

Back