advertisement

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

Quad 606 £673 in 1993
Quad 707 £800 in 1997
Quad 909 £900 in 2002 (reportedly with inferior cheap components)

I am somewhat taken aback that some actually didn't believe Tannoy sold up and moved on, having seen the empty factory and the auctions selling off the scraps that they did not tale with them.

Good luck to Fyne tho just wish they would make something in similar vein to the classic Tannoy eg nice big DC drivers

Quad 606 £673 in 1993
Quad 707 £800 in 1997
Quad 909 £900 in 2002 (reportedly with inferior cheap components)
I have an UK made 909. ;)
From the service manual with prices for single components and parts, the sum was ~£240 IIRC

I have an UK made 909. ;)
From the service manual with prices for single components and parts, the sum was ~£240 IIRC
That is a small markup by modern standards, 10x or more component BOM cost is very common these days in the HiFi industry.

That is a small markup by modern standards, 10x or more component BOM cost is very common these days in the HiFi industry.
That markup has been common in consumer goods since forever, though. I recall being told, over 30 years ago, that the manufacturing cost of a Black and Decker drill was 10% of the RRP. Take a look at what goes in to making a cooker. It's very simple, yet they mostly cost >£500.

Tannoy Chinese build, they are capable of getting the right outside look and do a cheaper wage.
I'd be surprised if they didn't do a cost-down grade of some of the BOM parts inside.
I would never buy some "classics" made in China.

That markup has been common in consumer goods since forever, though. I recall being told, over 30 years ago, that the manufacturing cost of a Black and Decker drill was 10% of the RRP. Take a look at what goes in to making a cooker. It's very simple, yet they mostly cost >£500.

In a fairly early issue of Hifi + Roy Gregory wrote about the cost of manufacturing, I can't remember if it was an editorial or an introduction paragraph for an amp he was reviewing.
Anyway the gist of the story was if an amp sold for £1000 retail the manufacturing costs were likely to be around 12.5% , yes an 1/8 th of retail.
When all things taken into consideration, dealer and/or distributor mark up, manufacturing profit and overheads it seemed like a pretty good explanation as to how SRP or RRP is arrived at.

advertisement

Back