advertisement

Fyne audio

My experience is that they will indeed push and profess to like the brands they stock, right up the the point that they stop being dealers for said brands, after which they slag the brands off. Which to a cynic might suggest that their previous advocacy had at least something to do with a vested interest.

This is absolutely true, I've experienced it myself. You do not get unbiased advice from a dealer, you just don't.

That's it in a nutshell.

They stock Fyne because they think they can sell them and make money, I wouldn't matter how highly they rated them if they weren't selling they'd drop them like a stone.

Well you have to make money to be a business, so no shit Sherlock.

I believe that a lot of the top independent dealers stock brands they believe in, they can't afford to buy too many dudds, they would soon go out of business and of course they promote them, that's sales for you., but the very best ones listen to the customer's needs and make informed suggestions, gradually gaining their trust.
Mac

And I presume the choice of which brands they retail comes down, in the first place, to what they find performs well. Fyne is a fairly new brand, so not a 'must have' like Rega or Naim, say; nobody put a gun to the dealers' heads.

Secondly what creates a good profit and what brands will sell..
Not all brands are available to certain dealers, sometime they just need to be happy with what they get in.

Its not a religion but pure business.
Clever sellers such as the guys from Audio Works in Cheshire did their marketing it seems.

I had wondered whether I was being slightly unfair in describing your earlier comment as 'barbed', but I see I was not.

What you say is perhaps true of some, maybe even most dealers, but not true of all. The AudioWorks is not for everybody - their approach is slightly iconoclastic - but I, and the great majority of their customers, am in no doubt that they are completely sincere. It is neither cynical, nor marketing in the perjorative sense you imply here. I do find it dispiriting that so many people have such low opinions of dealers. It is sad that so many dealers deserve it, so I'm grateful to have found one which doesn't.

I think that misses my point, which was a response to PerF's slightly barbed (to my mind) comment that

I took that as meaning that dealers will push the brands they retail (and profess to like). My counter was intended to make the point that dealers have a choice as to what they stock (within limits, as you say). Any inference (ie from PerF's comment, or yours) that the dealer might have taken on a brand to fill a gap, irrespective of merit, because another product was unavailable to them, is I think unwarranted in this case.

Most dealers take on products that do the most marketing, or have the biggest marketing budgets...

. I do find it dispiriting that so many people have such low opinions of dealers. It is sad that so many dealers deserve it, so I'm grateful to have found one which doesn't.

I've met genuine, sincere staff working in hifi shops, generally these people have been earning a wage rather than owning or running a shop though. My guess is they have nothing to gain by selling a particular product over another but I may be incorrect.

Secondly what creates a good profit and what brands will sell..
Not all brands are available to certain dealers, sometime they just need to be happy with what they get in.

Its not a religion but pure business.
Clever sellers such as the guys from Audio Works in Cheshire did their marketing it seems.

I've been shopping at AW for 27 years and nothing could be further from the truth. AW is clever in that it provides first class service, advice and support and a range of products that are brilliant.

I've been shopping at AW for 27 years and nothing could be further from the truth. AW is clever in that it provides first class service, advice and support and a range of products that are brilliant.

Good for AW customers, relation, service.. etc.. but not really what's my original post was about.
Most dealers usually like, and recommend the brands they retail.

Someone feel offended (not my intention) but my comment was based on a generel view of WW dealers, - there are good and there are bad dealers, sometime they need to be extreme to make a living.
Not very often do we experience dealers which abandon Brands they sell.

Hands down its about business, some sellers evening read is XX Brand marketing brochure, for later telling his "customers"
Far too few people form their own opinion nowadays imo.

I had wondered whether I was being slightly unfair in describing your earlier comment as 'barbed', but I see I was not.

What you say is perhaps true of some, maybe even most dealers, but not true of all. The AudioWorks is not for everybody - their approach is slightly iconoclastic - but I, and the great majority of their customers, am in no doubt that they are completely sincere. It is neither cynical, nor marketing in the perjorative sense you imply here. I do find it dispiriting that so many people have such low opinions of dealers. It is sad that so many dealers deserve it, so I'm grateful to have found one which doesn't.

I think you're right to feel that way;

Yes, all dealers have an obligation to make money and run their business (agree with the NSS comment made above, and if I was more technically savvy, I'd insert that quote TOO here.) that being said, audio dealers want to get excited by the products they carry and are well aware that they sell better products that they believe in. Nobody likes flogging a product, no matter how much commission or margin, if the thing sucks. (To be fair I have met a handful of guys who were able to sell anything motivated by $$$ only and they were all, to put it simply, not great people). Generally speaking the sales staff, the owner, the managers, all really want to like something and when they do like it, it sells much better.

You wouldn't carry a product like Fyne unless you felt it both met a niche in your line offerings and also offered good performance. VFM may be the one area where salesmen tend to look as a third priority (below fit n' finish, aesthetics, performance, robustness, etc.) but it's still very much a consideration and absolutely a factor in terms of how excited a staff gets about a product.

To sit back and say, 'They carry what they can sell' is really quite silly. There's too many lines out there to carry the ones nobody in the store likes.

Reminded me of the poor representative from Naim when they needed to play their kit on Focal speakers to replace their own, they did not look very happy or convincing tbh.

Reminded me of the poor representative from Naim when they needed to play their kit on Focal speakers to replace their own, they did not look very happy or convincing tbh.

I've only heard Focal speakers twice and on both occasions they sounded terrible. Having said that, not a fan of Naim speakers either so..

AW is clever in that it provides first class service, advice and support and a range of products that are brilliant.

I know so many can fall foul of the above but I doubt if many will survive without ticking all those boxes nowadays.

It’s unlikely a dealer will recommend something they don’t sell so no-one can reasonably have a problem there, but I do dislike when a dealer disses a brand they had previously praised.

.sjb

advertisement

Back