advertisement

Fyne audio

I quite like the look of the F700 in Walnut, although not clear on whether they have grilles which could be a disadvantage if not. The similar looking F500SP does though.

The F1 series is the one with the polarising looks. Most of the other stuff is pretty mainstream. The 600 series is very similar to the boat-backed Tannoy DC series which was a real looker in its day.

Very polarising! Though their lesser ranges have odd looks. I’m not keen on the creases they add to their driver surrounds (though I’m sure there’s a technical reason for that ‘baked goods’ look).

I must admit some of the more conventional cabinet speakers - F700 and F500 - look good. Who knows, for the second system (if I ever get around to re-instating it)....

I’m not keen on the creases they add to their driver surrounds (though I’m sure there’s a technical reason for that ‘baked goods’ look).
Not so different to the LS50 I guess, although there is something of the Cornish pasty crust to the Fyne ones :D

Very polarising! Though their lesser ranges have odd looks. I’m not keen on the creases they add to their driver surrounds (though I’m sure there’s a technical reason for that ‘baked goods’ look).
Yes, the creases are there for a reason. Something about control of the compliance of the edge of the cone and how it interacts with the frame. Or something. Either way, it's done as an intentional improvement on the old Tannoy solution.

Yes, the creases are there for a reason, Either way, it's done as an intentional improvement on the old Tannoy solution.
Except they use a conventional and almost ubiquitous Peavey designed m roll termination on the TOTL F1 drivers which would indicate it's a solution specific to that particular driver rather than fixing a Tannoy shortcoming. Interesting that the Beyma cp755 ND pro audio compression driver as used in the F1 was also used in the Tannoy Kingdom Royal- same design team.

Stopped watching at hand made cryogenically treated crossovers heard a few of them, thought they were decent enough for the price but nothing special. Could well be better on a proper home demo but looks were too off putting back at the time I’d have been interested

Most dealers usually like, and recommend the brands they retail.
I'm sure you're right, but they do stock other makes of speakers so could easily promote them.
Also, Tannoy are a very popular match for Accuphase amps so it does make sense for Fine to be recommended too.
Mac

Most of them typically look like most typical speakers, rectangular boxes and I suppose a bit reminiscent of Tannoy's more modern models, but the F1 series, what were they thinking? Definitely ugly speakers imho, up there with B&W 800 series. It always amazes me how so many speaker companies get their aesthetic design wrong and how very few get it right.

Yes and no. There are lots of factors. Some manufacturers impose quotas or may not supply them at all if there is another dealer too close or they feel the shop won't represent the brand well enough. An extreme example might be Linn not selling to Richer Sounds! There are lots of reasons for a shop stocking what they do. Taste is just one of them.
I think that misses my point, which was a response to PerF's slightly barbed (to my mind) comment that
Most dealers usually like, and recommend the brands they retail.
I took that as meaning that dealers will push the brands they retail (and profess to like). My counter was intended to make the point that dealers have a choice as to what they stock (within limits, as you say). Any inference (ie from PerF's comment, or yours) that the dealer might have taken on a brand to fill a gap, irrespective of merit, because another product was unavailable to them, is I think unwarranted in this case.

heard a large pair of these ($30k USD) and a smaller pair a couple of weeks ago. I thought they were bright, but I felt like most things at Capital Audio Fest were brighter than I'm used to.

Build quality on the Fyne's was top notch. Not my bag aesthetically, but certainly a nicely finished object.

Build quality on the Fyne's was top notch. Not my bag aesthetically, but certainly a nicely finished object.

They're obviously used to building prestigious Tannoys so they know how to do quality. Interestingly, it's not just the top speakers, they apply the same care to the cheaper ones. I saw a pair of mid-range speakers that had been rejected as defective for a cosmetic flaw. I couldn't find it and when I was shown it I couldn't believe they rejected the speakers for it. A tiny line under the white gloss paint, You could hardly see it even when you were looking at it.

I think that misses my point, which was a response to PerF's slightly barbed (to my mind) comment […]

I took that as meaning that dealers will push the brands they retail (and profess to like
).

My experience is that they will indeed push and profess to like the brands they stock, right up the the point that they stop being dealers for said brands, after which they slag the brands off. Which to a cynic might suggest that their previous advocacy had at least something to do with a vested interest.

They're obviously used to building prestigious Tannoys so they know how to do quality. Interestingly, it's not just the top speakers, they apply the same care to the cheaper ones. I saw a pair of mid-range speakers that had been rejected as defective for a cosmetic flaw. I couldn't find it and when I was shown it I couldn't believe they rejected the speakers for it. A tiny line under the white gloss paint, You could hardly see it even when you were looking at it.

i work for a relatively high end guitar manufacturer and it's the same way here. it's especially useful in keeping one's reputation in the internet age when people are buying things sight unseen.

i've been shown rejects and literally couldn't see what was being pointed out to me. almost comical

Yes and no. There are lots of factors. Some manufacturers impose quotas or may not supply them at all if there is another dealer too close or they feel the shop won't represent the brand well enough. An extreme example might be Linn not selling to Richer Sounds! There are lots of reasons for a shop stocking what they do. Taste is just one of them.

Not a factor in this case. Aw stocks Fyne because they rate them highly.

advertisement

Back