advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I missing something
Who knows? I prefer a larger bowl to a narrow tulip, and I ended up with the Riedel Veritas champagne glasses. They work quite well for chard and other whites as well - I’m pretty sure they follow the varietal arguments. Drinking Blanc de Noirs works quite well in made-for-Pinot glasses.

Who knows? I prefer a larger bowl to a narrow tulip, and I ended up with the Riedel Veritas champagne glasses. They work quite well for chard and other whites as well - I’m pretty well they follow the varietal arguments. Drinking Blanc de Noirs works quite well in made-for-Pinot glasses.
I have Riedel Veritas champagne glasses too and I do not rate them highly. This may be due to intangible matters of my personal taste in addition to more tangible things. I settled finally for the Schott Zwiesel Enoteca Champagne tulip as my go-to all-round performer for Champagne.

But I still have found no real preference for red wines from a wide range I have tried other than exactly your for-champagne "larger bowl and narrow tulip". However, a big glass filled little and often always seems better.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Will do if needs be, I have ordered 6.

I just think the Malbec is wonderful!
As I was a brave boy this morning and didn’t cry when the nice lady stuck an enormous needle in my shoulder (I didn’t actually look, but I bet it was) I thought I deserved six of the Malbec too. Now ordered.

Later: As my arm is starting to feel sore I’ve now decided I was exceptionally brave, so I’ve also pre-ordered some Saint Cosme St Joseph 2019 for next months chevauchée. I’ve had one of my 2015s so far and it was wonderful, so these are for the future. Cheaper than they would have been from the Wine Soc EP, so that’s good enough for me. Plus Ideal Wine gave me a loyalty voucher that more than paid for the delivery, which always oils the wheels a little. I’m loyal to so many different merchants it isn’t true.

Last edited:
Found a pre-CT wine hiding at the back. Mauro Castilla y Leon 2011. I think I must have got it from Waitrose but they don't seem to stock it anymore. Strange as it was very nice.

As I was a brave boy this morning and didn’t cry when the nice lady stuck an enormous needle in my shoulder (I didn’t actually look, but I bet it was) I thought I deserved six of the Malbec too. Now ordered.

I have a feeling that the service has gone to the dogs. No movement on my cabernet franc. Let me know how it goes.

I have a feeling that the service has gone to the dogs. No movement on my cabernet franc. Let me know how it goes.
My first order took four days to arrive rather than your one day - I didn’t receive notification that it had been processed until nearly midnight on day 2 (which would mean tonight.)

Not too shabby with some antipasti.

In Elizabeth David’s book on Italian food, she says some really positive things about Lambrusco. When I read it for the first time I thought I’d try a good one - so I went to Camisi on Old Compton Street - this was in the days when they were still an authentic Iti deli - and asked them about it. “Oh, yes,” they said, “Lambrusco is excellent, we always have a bottle open at the back for the people who work in the shop. Here - try this, it’s our best.”

And so I went home, cooked a good bolognaise sauce for pasta, and drank it. And it was “interesting” - but not interesting enough for me to go back and buy more.

In Elizabeth David’s book on Italian food, she says some really positive things about Lambrusco. When I read it for the first time I thought I’d try a good one - so I went to Camisi on Old Compton Street - this was in the days when they were still an authentic Iti deli - and asked them about it. “Oh, yes,” they said, “Lambrusco is excellent, we always have a bottle open at the back for the people who work in the shop. Here - try this, it’s our best.”

And so I went home, cooked a good bolognaise sauce for pasta, and drank it. And it was “interesting” - but not interesting enough for me to go back and buy more.
It's had a reboot ok for the occasion,good with
finger food.

Now we are into December it might be too late for Xmas to be cancelled. Anyway I imagine the wine will get drunk either way.
Quintarelli Valpolicella 2009 or Giacomo Conterno Barbera 2013.
And either (or perhaps both...) Ch Fieuzal 2010 or Kanonkop Paul Sauer 2015.

I just dug out "Mediterranean food" it opened
at page 97 ."Chorizo can be obtained at Gomez Ortega old Compton st."

I figure this might fit into the between “finishing work for the year and Xmas” drinking slot.

0-EE68-E2-E-3-FC2-485-C-9184-1-FAAD6-A41559.jpg

51719386558_4270a705de_z.jpg

This was absolutely delicious on the first night, but I felt it was running out of puff a bit on day 2. Might have been me, but I’ll bring the CT ‘drink by’ date forward a year to 2022 as I have two left. I should get some more of this. I bought this bottle at the Lille Fair four or five years back for the equivalent of £9.50. You can buy the current vintage in the UK, but it will cost you £24. It was ever thus <sigh>.

My Paypal payment is stuck at ‘pending’. I won’t worry until that changes and I still haven’t heard anything further.

My Paypal payment is stuck at ‘pending’. I won’t worry until that changes and I still haven’t heard anything further.

Spoke to them, it's fine, they are completely overwhelmed with orders, containers of wine are stuck at the ports, it is, they said, manic! But they've dispatched my order, and they came across as really nice honest people.

(And I ordered another 6 Malbec -- have you tried this?

https://www.simplywinesdirect.uk/product/matias-riccitelli-republica-del-malbec/)

I know you didn't ask me, but I have. It's nice, perfectly satisfactory - the guy makes good wine - but I like the other one more.

Wine trivia quiz question.
How many bottles of Pol Roger Champagne did Winston Churchill drink in his lifetime?
Take a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back