advertisement

Exceptional new audio products at realistic prices

Is the GTi a transconductance amp?

If so, will it work with a Rega arm without modification? Rega ground the tonearm through one of the RCAs rather than run a separate ground wire.

Whilst I have designed and built several transconductance phono stages, with great results, the GTi is in fact "the opposite" as it's a transimpedance stage, ie current in voltage out. As such it presents a near short circuit to the cartridge and all conventional matters about loading etc are obsolete. An adjunct of this is that gain is in effect set by the cartridge itself, it's internal resistance to be specific.

Non of this has any bearing on suitability for use with a Rega arm and I believe you are probably thinking of compatibility with balanced input phono stages there. I made one for a fishy in New York a few months ago actually (an Arkless 640P in fact) and although USA customers cannot try before they buy I will export to USA but obviously there will be customs charges etc.

Whilst I have designed and built several transconductance phono stages, with great results, the GTi is in fact "the opposite" as it's a transimpedance stage, ie current in voltage out. As such it presents a near short circuit to the cartridge and all conventional matters about loading etc are obsolete. An adjunct of this is that gain is in effect set by the cartridge itself, it's internal resistance to be specific.

Non of this has any bearing on suitability for use with a Rega arm and I believe you are probably thinking of compatibility with balanced input phono stages there. I made one for a fishy in New York a few months ago actually (an Arkless 640P in fact) and although USA customers cannot try before they buy I will export to USA but obviously there will be customs charges etc.

I was thinking of some commercial transimpedance phono preamps where the outer RCA ring was not at ground potential. This was true for the Sutherland preamps, and Meitner too I think.

I see that Sutherland have now addressed this with a slight design change. (Probably for the very reason I asked...)

I was thinking of some commercial transimpedance phono preamps where the outer RCA ring was not at ground potential. This was true for the Sutherland preamps, and Meitner too I think.

I see that Sutherland have now addressed this with a slight design change. (Probably for the very reason I asked...)

I'm not familiar with those models but mine does not have that issue.

The Belfast branch had a good deal but still £120 more expensive than the .co.uk site. How would they compare to my dynaudio contour 1.3mkii??

I’m sure the Bowers will be decent but they’re not in the same league. Unlikely they’ll be anywhere near as good as your Dynaudios which were £1,200 twenty years ago. They were excellent speakers. I should know because I had a pair for years (with Naim and Krell amps).

I think there was a connection between Olive and Barry Pearne of BK Electronics and Tony Relph of A.C.Magnum, so maybe there power amps are of the same family grouping?

advertisement

Back