advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

For you the one that is stuck in the chair (me) a version of the new budget integrated at a later date will have remote. (it will cost a little more sorry)
Due to my obversion to digital lies and the dreadful noises they make with music and interference (oh I did computer studies at Uni and worked for ICL but still hate digital lies) I have designed a Remote which is analogue and runs way past audio and the harmonic of common sounds, i.e. 400MHz the first prototype had a range just a wee bit far like 200yrd, so reduced power to run at 40ft.
So when complete we will need volunteers to try it out, no cooking of pizza on it please. (less than 1mW)

Also at a later time maybe April we will have a integrated based on the A40 with MC.MM,2Aux and Balance and remote control price to be calculated. ( not cheap sorry)

Wowser! Can l go on zer list please?:D

Hi Alan/Colin first impressions of the LS40 are very positive. If this continues these will become my speaker cable of choice.
Alan I have sent you a couple of PMs, thanks Paul

Hi Alan/Colin first impressions of the LS40 are very positive. If this continues these will become my speaker cable of choice.
Alan I have sent you a couple of PMs, thanks Paul

Please could you give a summary on the Good/The Bad/and the Ugly

3117.jpg

Would like to give the A40 a spin when the demo is ready. How much is it going to cost out of interest?
Good question. The build cost is very high, even in our pre-production chassis (£1700). That is cost of parts only, no time. We are letting the pre-production amps into the wild once they are updated to what is more or less the final specification. I am keeping one, so is Colin, and two more are spoken for. There are potentially two more available as that is how many chassis we have. The production amplifier will not be a budget amp.

The sound signature is not unlike the M-50, but it is a little warmer, more powerful and deeper faster bass, greater control all round with deeper imaging. I think it sounds better than M-50 monoblocks which is why this will probably replace the M-50 next year.

Listening to Manu Katche - Third Round.

Beautiful flowing sound from the ProAcs, A40 and TT2.

The SN3 sold in under 24 hours. I did pop it on last night for a quick listen. Sounded very shallow by comparison to this setup.

Colin after couple of hours listening there's definitely nothing ugly to report. I installed them with a completely open mind not know what to expect however straight away I noticed a rhythmic integrity that surprised and pleased me. I will leave my full review until next week but so far - so good

Listening to Manu Katche - Third Round.

Beautiful flowing sound from the ProAcs, A40 and TT2.

The SN3 sold in under 24 hours. I did pop it on last night for a quick listen. Sounded very shallow by comparison to this setup.

That is kinder sad, But ProAc and Paul Tyler (RIP) ,and I have a history. I loved his speakers when I did Magnum that as you all recall ProAc Magnum started before Magnum by A.C.Magnum Ltd. So his tutoring helped me to learn more.

I posted this in the LS-80 thread, but no harm in putting it here, too, as the mixed box of connecting cables was being tried, too.

I’ve had the pleasure recently to have both the LS-80s and the mixed box of connecting cables. I’m currently using the LS-80s, the power cable on my power amp, and the XLR cable between pre and power. The cables are nicely built, though the tails on the LS-80 are very thin, curiously, thinner than the LS-40s, meaning that I felt that the cable needed supporting to take the strain off it going into the ESL63s.

The system comprises : Primare BD32 disc player; Chromecast via an audio stripper into the preamp’s built-in DAC board; Primare Pre32 with MM30 DAC/streaming board; Primare A60 power amp; Quad ESL63s.

I already own the LS-40 speaker cables, and thought that that was as far as I could reasonably go in terms of expense. The LS-80s are a big jump. In some ways, they are unremarkable, for I found myself just listening to the music, without analysing what I was hearing. That’s their great strength.

Bach’s great Advent Cantatas (BWV61, 62, 36 : Teldec) : The choir was portrayed as being composed of individual voices, rather than a mass, the instruments were well separated and characterful, the ebb and flow of the music was well presented, with lots of micro-dynamics that allowed me to hear how the instruments were being played. It was a performance, not just a facsimile.

Some music was quite different sounding. Weil’s Dreigroschenoper was clearly performed by a small ensemble, with each instrument clearly defined, although the harmonium seemed to disappear a bit into the mix. What really made the performance interesting was the portrayal of the tone and timbre of the instruments, and, again, the micro-dynamics. Voices were smooth, with lots of vocal detail.

The following day, I added the power cable to the power amp, and noticed some change but didn’t really have time to listen in detail.

Next I put the XLR cable in and, having just taken the $1 Roon trial, set about listening to what it could source from the NAS via the Chromecast. I was transfixed. A big, fat sound, full of detail and realism. After playing a couple of classical works, I played a Queen track and then let Roon radio run. Everything was attention-grabbing and grin-inducing. There’s power, slam and delicacy; grunt, smoothness and realism. It’s a bit like having the band in the room. It’s also the first time I’ve know the soundstage appear to extend to the right and left of the speakers.

I thought my system was pretty well fettled, especially since I started using the Power Inspired mains regenerator on the preamp and disc player, so I wasn’t expecting much. As I type, Roon radio has picked Bohemian Rhapsody. I’ve never heard it quite like this. I didn’t know that the ESL63s could sound so “fat”, either !

A rather inadequate write-up, I’m afraid. In 6 words: I think these cables are amazing !

@ABCaudio
LS-80s Now received safely from @eisenach
@eisenach has also kindly lent me his LS-40s as well.

Good to meet you, Ashley. LS-80s delivered in person after DHL kindly delivered me an empty box that should have contained the original set. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the 40s compared to what you're using now and also the 80s. I'm slumming it in the meanwhile with a spare set of Cable Talk 3,1. It works. :)

The mixed box will get posted to Discopants tomorrow; that one's just a bit too far to deliver in person, unless it can wait until the 20th or 21st when I go to get my daughter from London.

Alan, I'm sending you a message ! :)

I know !

When you live in the sticks, an hour is no distance at all !

Shrewsbury, Worcester, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Newport ... they're all just next door ... and an hour away ! :) That's sticks geography for you !

So, can you wait ? After what happened with DHL and the LS-80s, I just don't trust couriers and the post.

PM me if you want to talk more.

First impressions from Starting Point to LS40s then to LS 80s is incredible!

Can’t believe I have these 3 incredible cables from one manufacturer in my room at once, I think I might have to sell my soul for them though. o_O

Sorry I didn't realise the the history of the missing stuff. Although I did read something went missing I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I've never had any problem with royal mail getting the package across.

I just heard a coherent systems BD mains cable in my system recently and it was very obviously a step forward. Looking forward to hearing Colins one.

advertisement

Back