advertisement

Best practices when buying from the EU

IVELIN

pfm Member
Hi All,

Could I ask for some guidance on best practices when buying hifi from the EU. I live in the UK and what I want to know is what paperwork I need to prepare, how to ensure that hifi/moneys are transferred with no scams, insurance policies and/or anything else that needs considering.

Thanks,
Ivelin

P.S. I am not sure if this is the best place to post such thread so if it needs moving could I ask the admins to move it where it belongs.

Hi All,

Could I ask for some guidance on best practices when buying hifi from the EU. I live in the UK and what I want to know is what paperwork I need to prepare, how to ensure that hifi/moneys are transferred with no scams, insurance policies and/or anything else that needs considering.

Thanks,
Ivelin

P.S. I am not sure if this is the best place to post such thread so if it needs moving could I ask the admins to move it where it belongs.

Personally I wouldn't bother mate.

Definitely not worth the hassle or the extra cost.

Not just for HiFi it's anything really.

You need only to make sure the sender is preparing the paperwork correctly. You can expediate things by knowing the tracking number, courier name, having a copy of the invoice and the CN23 which should be on the outside of the box. With all that you can try to pay the taxes online in advance of delivery but after the courier has received it. This not always possible with all couriers.

Our sales in and out of the UK took a big hit first half of the year. I'm surprised that they are maybe 75% back to where they were. I don't expect to get it all back to where it was pre-Covid and pre-Brexit.

A French guy bought a Four Tops LP off me via discogs a few weeks ago, the LP was listed at £5 plus postage, his invoice came to £23 and that included £13 postage and £5 French taxes and something else, vat maybe, he never paid for the record and eventually I canceled the order and left him poor feedback.

Sold another record back in January to someone in Italy think the postal charges and etc on that were nearly £20.

Our sales in and out of the UK took a big hit first half of the year. I'm surprised that they are maybe 75% back to where they were. I don't expect to get it all back to where it was pre-Covid and pre-Brexit.

Well I wouldn't buy anything from abroad now don't really see the pint in paying about 35% over the price of something that you can source here in the UK.

Might be different if I was buying a $1000 Miles Davis six eye first press mono from 1959 but for normal stuff it's pointless.

Hi All,

Thanks,
Ivelin

which country? I am told Italy is a no-no but that isn't down to EU reasons.

my amp (50kg) came from Italy, and I couldn't envisage a more fraught and unreliable shipping.

When it went wrong last year out of warranty, I was strongly advised not to ship back there (even by the manufacturer).

Off the record but if you asked a company similar to me, they can do stuff to avoid the costs incurred upon import. I reckon 19 out of 20 of our customers pay nothing in government and courier theft. And we send stuff into UK at up to 500 euros

From outside the U.K. it’s just too much hassle to buy from there, Germany and Ireland for me from now on.

From outside the U.K. it’s just too much hassle to buy from there, Germany and Ireland for me from now on.
I don't understand that. You are in Uk, so why is Germany and Ireland any better than say Netherlands? I send a ton of stuff around the world every month from Germany, France and UK and the only trend I see is some couriers know how to get your stuff through customs better than others. It's not about countries so much. If we must discuss countries, Germany (DP / DHL) is the worst for sending stuff back to us regardless of destination, causing long delays for some customers. DPD is currently worst for processing stuff through UK customs.

We send about 1000 parcels worldwide every month.

Last year I got an amp from Italy and it was easy, but that was pre-Brexit. I am looking at hifi from Germany.

Ive bought and sold stuff all over the world, pre brexit shit, and rarely had a problem Italy included but post brexit shit never again.

I was buying wine from Portugal pre bshit and it was excellent was spending about £300 a time post bshit the price per bottle almost doubled.

advertisement

Back