advertisement

New tv recommendations ?

I was getting close to buying an LG OLED48C1 this week but I think I just discovered that these TVs come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug, is that right?

This is bad news for me as the tube I plumbed into my brick wall years ago is too narrow for a plug to go through it. I can get all sorts of cables through no problem, HDMI, Optical, TV aerial etc, but a plug? No chance.

I'd either have to leave the power cable running up the outside of the wall or snip off the plug and fit a new one once I've pulled the cable through the tube, but you can be sure that doing that would void any warranty. I suppose I could do the latter once the warranty is up but as I'd almost certainly be buying from a retailer that offered an extended warranty, well that's a long time to leave the power cable in view when every other cable is out of sight.

Does the 48C1 really come fitted with a moulded 3-pin plug?
Bottom left unscrew the plate and you can replace the cable, it goes into a terminal block. Or run a mains cable and put a single extension socket on it like for a lawn mower.

Windhoek,
Make a 13 amp extension from a plug some cable and a socket. Then you can push the cable through your tube before terminating it and tie the TV power cable tightly to hide it and the socket behind your TV. Everyone is a winner, you don't mess with the TV and the guarantee is intact.

Bottom left unscrew the plate and you can replace the cable, it goes into a terminal block. Or run a mains cable and put a single extension socket on it like for a lawn mower.

I just read a post on AVF where someone said you could just use a one-gang extension lead so that the TV's cable is intact on the TV side of the tube and you can do the snipping/attaching of plugs on the other side of the extension lead. I can't believe I never thought of that myself, it's the simplest solution lol

Windhoek,
Make a 13 amp extension from a plug some cable and a socket. Then you can push the cable through your tube before terminating it and tie the TV power cable tightly to hide it and the socket behind your TV. Everyone is a winner, you don't mess with the TV and the guarantee is intact.

I literally just came across that solution over at AVF, it's so obvious I can't believe I never thought of it myself lol

I just read a post on AVF where someone said you could just use a one-gang extension lead so that the TV's cable is intact on the TV side of the tube and you can do the snipping/attaching of plugs on the other side of the extension lead. I can't believe I never thought of that myself, it's the simplest solution lol
That’s what I meant - run a single long mains extension, easy to make one yourself or buy off Amazon and just bundle it tidy behind the TV. Or swap the cable entirely if you don’t mind removing the plate and re terminating.

This style

I was coming to think I'd need to buy another TV but, without options now in hand, the 48C1 is back on :)

I was coming to think I'd need to buy another TV but, without options now in hand, the 48C1 is back on :)
I was a bit put back when I bought a 65CX last year cos I had an IEC mains cable already run up the back of the wall, converted to a socket and velcro tied it out the way.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but as I was looking for a new TV I noticed that all present models are energy-class F or worse. How is that possible? And what are class A TV's then? I would expect newer TV's to use less energy, not more...

I am not sure I have got this right but I had heard that since leaving the EU, the UK has reset the electrical appliances energy classes. The previous system was getting rather messy with 'AAA++++++++'.

Damn, I've got a bad case of analysis paralysis. I was all set on the 48C1 but after popping into Currys yesterday and seeing one in the flesh, it looked tiny! Admittedly, it looked tiny compared to half the TVs in the hop, plus with the store being a huge shed of a building, that just added to its apparent diminutiveness. But when I got home last night and looked at the space where it's going to go I was again struck by the idea that the 55" looks too big for my room. It's like the 48" is too small and the 55" is too large, and a 50" is the Goldilocks TV I'm looking for.

Here's a couple of pics. The first shows the old 55" TV I had, and the second shows the same TV covered up with a towel but with my Tannoys in place, which are quite imposing themselves.

50815876158_017996a1d7_c.jpg

51706762317_eb346ed9b0_z.jpg

There is no 50” OLED screen, so it will be a choice between the 48” & the 55”.
If you are used to a 55” I’d say there’s a big chance that in a few months time you would regret downsizing.

There is no 50” OLED screen, so it will be a choice between the 48” & the 55”.
If you are used to a 55” I’d say there’s a big chance that in a few months time you would regret downsizing.

Exactly, hence the predicament!

I think you're right, the 48 will always seem small. Cost isn't really an issue so the 55" is back on. It's a fen shui fail, but a home cinema win :)

Well that's it, I've just bought 55C1, should get it next Thursday :)

I won't get the tv till next week as I'm working on Friday, the earliest the delivery company can manage. Interestingly, the courier says they are only contracted to deliver to flats no higher than the second story in cases where there's no lift access. I'm three-flights up in an old Glasgow tenement so apparently, it might well be that if the delivery person can't be bothered to climb all the stairs then the TV can simply be delivered to me on the second-floor landing. That's a bit rubbish.

I won't get the tv till next week as I'm working on Friday, the earliest the delivery company can manage. Interestingly, the courier says they are only contracted to deliver to flats no higher than the second story in cases where there's no lift access. I'm three-flights up in an old Glasgow tenement so apparently, it might well be that if the delivery person can't be bothered to climb all the stairs then the TV can simply be delivered to me on the second-floor landing. That's a bit rubbish.

The delivery drivers hardly get any time to deliver mate especially in places like Shawlands and to a lesser extent Cathcart etc, parking is a complete nightmare nowadays, I've a customer in Skirving Street, top flat tenement like yours and on street parking is just non-existent.

I refuse to go to some places now because of this, the worst place in Glasgow for parking is Hillhead.

I'm not surprised that delivery companies are refusing to go to top floor flats now the other issues is actually getting into the close no one bother's to answer the buzzer or it's not working then you have to phone the punter who doesn't answer their phone or reply to texts.

The delivery drivers hardly get any time to deliver mate especially in places like Shawlands and to a lesser extent Cathcart etc, parking is a complete nightmare nowadays, I've a customer in Skirving Street, top flat tenement like yours and on street parking is just non-existent.

I refuse to go to some places now because of this, the worst place in Glasgow for parking is Hillhead.

I'm not surprised that delivery companies are refusing to go to top floor flats now the other issues is actually getting into the close no one bother's to answer the buzzer or it's not working then you have to phone the punter who doesn't answer their phone or reply to texts.

For sure, Tony, it's a tough gig being a delivery driver these days. Anytime a courier buzzes I normally go down and meet them on the second floor, not because of parking issues, but because I imagine they've been going up and down stairs all day long. Interestingly, some of the young delivery drivers are rapid when it comes to climbing stairs, almost like they see as it a quick workout. But for a lot of them, it's a tough slog. As for my TV I'll just need to wait and see how it goes, but yeah I agree, tough conditions out there.

Ah, bugger. I've had a strong niggling feeling ever since I ordered the 55" LG that I've bought the wrong size of TV and that, for a number of reasons, it's just too big. So I just sent Richer Sounds an email cancelling my order.

I now wish I'd stayed true to my original intuition and rationale that the 48" LG was the right choice (well, the right choice between the 48" and 55" OLEDs) and had ordered the 48" instead. Prices have gone back up now so it looks like I'm gonna have to wait till around the beginning of January before I can buy the 48" at a similar or better price than was seen during Black Friday week. Ah, bugger.

I really don't like cancelling orders or sending stuff back as it's a faff at my end and somewhat unfair on the retailer, especially if they've forked out shipping costs. But considering it's a purchase I expect to live with for the next 7-10 years then I really need to get it right.

advertisement

Back