advertisement

LP12 servicing frequency?

Fuller

pfm Member
How often do LP12 owners on here get their turntable serviced?
I’ve had my deck since 1989 and used to get it serviced every few years. Since 2000 I have had it serviced twice, in 2006 and in 2012. Once I’ve had serviced I don’t move it again and never fiddle with it. Apart from a new stylus on the Adikt I’ve not replaced anything since 2006 and that was just a Trampolinn and an Adikt cartridge, and a new belt. I’ve got no plans or money to upgrade anything. So why would it need servicing? I’ve seen arguments on Forums in the past with some saying it really doesn’t need servicing at all? What’d all reckon?

Get yourself ready for all the suggestions to sell it and buy a rega P8 :)
I last fettled mine a couple of years ago and 5 years before that but only as I was changing plinths, carts etc.
Rgds
Stuart

I wouldn't bother, unless it was playing badly or had been shaken vigorously (you have no idea what happens when the babysitter comes round). Even then I'd probably change the elastic band first to see if that had an effect (sorry, ahem, belt). You do need to be careful that there is always oil in the bearing but unless you turn the deck upside down I can't imagine where the oil would go. I didn't service my Axis for years and when it did get some attention the first thing the bloke told me was that there was loads of oil still in it. To answer your question then, I think you're doing pretty well.

- oh yes, edited 'cos I forgot, obvs you need to chuck it out and get a high end Rega or preferably a Well Tempered Lab, which will be much better, have you seen the new Linn price list, plus it's only a dodgy 1970s design they nicked from Ariston etc etc, see p94.

Changing the oil every year or two is a good idea. It does break down and go thick. I use Audio Origami oil which seems to last much better but I still change it regularly, it's a cheap thing to do.

I used to change the belt every few years but to be honest, I can't say that I could hear any difference when I did.

Other than that, modern LP12s stay 'in tune' pretty well. If they've been set properly in the first place, which isn't a given. I've seen so many 'up-skirt' photos of LP12s that had poor cable dressing so one does wonder what else is not right.

I would say that how often an LP12 is tuned is less important than who it is who does the tuning.

How often do LP12 owners on here get their turntable serviced?
I’ve had my deck since 1989 and used to get it serviced every few years. Since 2000 I have had it serviced twice, in 2006 and in 2012. Once I’ve had serviced I don’t move it again and never fiddle with it. Apart from a new stylus on the Adikt I’ve not replaced anything since 2006 and that was just a Trampolinn and an Adikt cartridge, and a new belt. I’ve got no plans or money to upgrade anything. So why would it need servicing? I’ve seen arguments on Forums in the past with some saying it really doesn’t need servicing at all? What’d all reckon?

Latest belts are supposed to last 10 years and if you are not moving it or messing with it then I would get it serviced every 10 years. If it’s setup correctly in the first place then they don’t go out of tune

Well before I sold mine and got a P8 (glad I did):p I found that every time I reset the suspension of my LP12 /aro combo it ALWAYS sounded better ?
So I might suggest it goes off "optimal" quicker that many suggest

Changing the oil every year or two is a good idea. It does break down and go thick. I use Audio Origami oil which seems to last much better but I still change it regularly, it's a cheap thing to do.

I used to change the belt every few years but to be honest, I can't say that I could hear any difference when I did.

Other than that, modern LP12s stay 'in tune' pretty well. If they've been set properly in the first place, which isn't a given. I've seen so many 'up-skirt' photos of LP12s that had poor cable dressing so one does wonder what else is not right.

I would say that how often an LP12 is tuned is less important than who it is who does the tuning.

Couldn't agree more Colin

I was given a LP12 by a work colleague who no longer used it as he was streaming and it had sat under his bed for 10 years.
It sounded ok but it was only when a year or 2 later sending it to my dealer for a suspension reset new belt,oil change,springs grommets.New AT95 E cartridge.
The guy who did the work had over 30 years LP12 experience.
It was pre cirkus BTW.I was astonished just how great it sounded on its return and enjoyed it so much that I then went in stages Karousel - Majik Sub chassis - Lingo 4....cost me alot of dosh but enjoyed every upgrade and buying at least 50 albums a month mostly charity shop classical.

Yeah I was indeed.
Every Friday in the pub after work we would often meet department wise and he mentioned the LP12 and that he hadn't used it in years.
I did say I would give him £ 300 but for some reason a couple of months later he just said you can have it !!
When he brought it round he also brought a Audiolab 8000c and 8000p pre and power which hadn't been used for years.
I think he had an Arcam solo all on in 1 unit.

Top bloke always send him a Christmas card.....just so kind.
My 3rd LP12 now on the audio journey sold the other 2 maybe 25 years ago.

Hang on! You were given an LP12? :0.

Every 5 years or so but if you’re not moving it around, probably less. They’re well built and assuming your Linn dealer isn’t an idiot, if it’s new, then don’t worry too much.

I've had one since 1988. The only time I had it dealer serviced (new dealer) it was all "dear oh dear who set this up... tsk, my my, would you look at that top plate. Well, no matter, just wait 'till you hear the difference after I've finished. You're in for a treat. " Of course it sounded exactly the same.

I didn't bother after that though I did change the oil myself once. And even bought a new belt And yes it sounded the same after I'd "serviced" it too.

Servicing is an income stream for dealers and a sales opportunity for upgrades. A bit like the business model for £5,000 watches which apparently won't work unless they're rebuilt every 12 months. Naim copied that model too making amplifier "servicing" a hard sold routine. Why let your marks, sorry, customers, sail happily off into the sunset when you can contrive a reason to keep your hands in their pocket?

In short dealer servicing is completely pointless unless you're feeling charitable towards poor old Linn and their dealer network. Instead just play records and ignore any and all efforts to make you fret when not dousing Linn, or any other corporate, with your cash.

advertisement

Back