advertisement

Loudspeaker compromises

I’ll be going back to electrostatic speakers when I move house. I’ve heard nothing that can compare for sheer clarity yet with no harshness at all.

I've been listening to the E-IXs since reinstating them about four weeks ago. When they are driven by a pair of Densen B-350 monos (125WPC into 8R), they leave very little else to be desired. The mighty Yamaha NS-1000Ms might not get another listen for a while. The E-IXs certainly seem to defy their size and the laws of physics in my room.

Unfortunately when it comes to size, people generally chase 2 factors (I apologize if this is pontification on things we already agree on, but regardless):

- Scale
- Bass depth

For whatever reason, a small box generally can only go 'so' low (and I'm not a bass hound, at least not by today's standards) but more to the point, they can't present that top-to-bottom scale or "push" that one gets when the radiating surface expands. Part of the reason I will forever be a tannoy-boy ("Tan-Boy" ? did I just coin a phrase?) is that for all their faults, tannoys with the semi-horn/waveguided compression driver, coupled with a large driver and wide baffle, present a "push" of sound that makes other speakers sound small, especially if they are. Obviously the great small stand-mounts have magic in them as well that can't be bested by larger loudspeakers, perhaps in reverse. An LS3/5A has a certain unbeatable quality, part of the reason it's still in production for nearly 50 years now. The E-IX's are the same. But when one craves the scale and bass depth presentation, it's tough to go without if we are talking about a nearly final solution. It's a tough call.

Just knowing what you did with the IX's, and knowing our mutual taste in electronics/sources etc.....I just feel that the '1000 tribute will be worth fighting for.

What's the story with the BlieSMa ? Never heard of it.

The first product they produced was a large, aluminium dome tweeter. There was lots of excitement on diy forums due to the very extended frequency response for such a large dome and the impressive xmax. It would be a great tweeter for an 8" or even a 10" 2-way, but the price is eye-watering!
They've now extended their tweeter range with beryllium and diamond versions, and as I said, mid-domes to follow...

Good Afternoon All,

In a perfect world (whatever that is) I would love to be able to try out a whole host of speaker options but the prospect of moving every new pair of speakers here , there and everywhere so that the room had a minimum impact on the sound I was hearing (which I'd be confirming with REW measurements) I don't think I'd ever finish and, in the meantime, there is life to be getting on with.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back