advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes they were doing boosters, plus first and seconds - both appointments and walking - all a bit chaotic really. Got through it all, though. I noticed staff were st johns ambulance.... no vax sticker.... :(
I do wonder what it was like earlier in the week as I wonder even by Friday the Omicron factor was kicking in. Although I booked as early as I could others might have thought I will wait until I have time/can be arsed and Omicron meant a few went oh **** better get myself boosted.

I do wonder what it was like earlier in the week as I wonder even by Friday the Omicron factor was kicking in. Although I booked as early as I could others might have thought I will wait until I have time/can be arsed and Omicron meant a few went oh **** better get myself boosted.

I arrived at about 11:05 for my 11:15 appointment - got jabbed at 11:40 - most of the waiting was outdoors - then had to wait until 11:55 before i could leave, again waiting outdoors.

I arrived at about 11:05 for my 11:15 appointment - got jabbed at 11:40 - most of the waiting was outdoors - then had to wait until 11:55 before i could leave, again waiting outdoors.
Same experience for me except a longer wait. However glad it's done although do worry that some will just go **** that if thats the typical experience.

Just to give some balance: Me & Mrs g received our booster jabs yesterday (Pfizer). This was at our local medical practice (5 min drive away), where initial two jabs took place. Invited for jab by text; easy to book a slot for 09:00 on a Sunday. Queue (such as it was) consisted of all sorts; 1st, 2nd, 3rd and boosters. All queuing within the building. Injectors were a mixture of practice Doctors, paramedics and nurses. 15 minute timed waits in socially distanced waiting area on comfortable chairs. I was very encouraged to see a couple of local teenagers there getting their 2nd jabs before going off to work.

I must say that side effects to the Pfizer boost are much more pronounced that with initial AZ. Totally shagged. It'll pass though.

Taxi for Sean...

In fact it strikes me, I don't know whether you'd agree with this, that the new school rule about omicron contacts is well designed. If the virus is very contagious, the kids will get hoiked out of school pretty quick if needs be.

Same experience for me except a longer wait. However glad it's done although do worry that some will just go **** that if thats the typical experience.

This was exactly my feeling -- I said to myself that I won't be in a hurry to do this again, the experience was so unpleasant. I mean I'm sure I will, it was just a spur of the moment over-reaction on my part, but I'm also sure I will do it somewhat less enthusiastically.

P.S. Two densely populated island nations: compare and contrast.

J2brJlQ.png

This is because the virus in Japan has mysteriously self destructed. I found an article about it and posted here last week. I believe the consensus of informed opinion is that doesn't have anything to do with masks and that sort of thing - hence the mysyery.

This was exactly my feeling -- I said to myself that I won't be in a hurry to do this again, the experience was so unpleasant. I mean I'm sure I will, it was just a spur of the moment over-reaction on my part, but I'm also sure I will do it somewhat less enthusiastically.

This is because the virus in Japan has mysteriously self destructed. I found an article about it and posted here last week. I believe the consensus of informed opinion is that doesn't have anything to do with masks and that sort of thing - hence the mysyery.

I also got more of a reaction to the booster - although some of that may have been the flu jag. That arm also got a 'bruised' feeling.

I suspect the Japanese are far more accustomed than the Brits to wearing masks when in public, particularly in crowded places. And I've seen many reports of people in places like London which say most people cannae be bothered to wear a mask on a train, etc. However I'm far from both places, so only have reports to base this on.

Scientific advisers are bracing themselves for hundreds of UK cases of the Omicron Covid variant to be confirmed in the next week or so, the Guardian has learned.

Some of them may predate the earliest cases of Omicron found in South Africa last week but could still be linked to travellers returning from the country, it is understood. Evidence of community transmission also emerged on Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-advisers-brace-confirmed-omicron-covid-cases

Scientific advisers are bracing themselves for hundreds of UK cases of the Omicron Covid variant to be confirmed in the next week or so, the Guardian has learned.

Some of them may predate the earliest cases of Omicron found in South Africa last week but could still be linked to travellers returning from the country, it is understood. Evidence of community transmission also emerged on Monday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-advisers-brace-confirmed-omicron-covid-cases

Aye six cases in Glasgow four of them in Lanarkshire none traveled so it's circulating in the community and probably has been for weeks.

Knew those tory sh ! ts were at it last week.

In fact it strikes me, I don't know whether you'd agree with this, that the new school rule about omicron contacts is well designed. If the virus is very contagious, the kids will get hoiked out of school pretty quick if needs be.

I very much doubt it. They'll cancel Christmas before dealing with schools - some schools already had stronger mask policies in place.

I missed that and can't see it in the thread - any chance you could repost please? I'd be interested to read it.

I don't believe the different outcome in Japan is simply down to an existing culture of wearing a face mask when you're ill - though my experience of living in Japan is that the Japanese are one of the most fastidiously hygienic nations on earth.

There are lots of things about the Japanese experience that are very different to the UK. For one thing the emphasis on social obligation results in very high compliance with covid restrictions.

The powers that be also didn't mess around - Tokyo declared a state of emergency when the number of cases city-wide was less than we had in Lewisham in Greenwich combined. The fact that they managed to hold the Olympics and kept case numbers so low is a credit to them.

I missed that and can't see it in the thread - any chance you could repost please? I'd be interested to read it.

I don't believe the different outcome in Japan is simply down to an existing culture of wearing a face mask when you're ill - though my experience of living in Japan is that the Japanese are one of the most fastidiously hygienic nations on earth.

There are lots of things about the Japanese experience that are very different to the UK. For one thing the emphasis on social obligation results in very high compliance with covid restrictions.

The powers that be also didn't mess around - Tokyo declared a state of emergency when the number of cases city-wide was less than we had in Lewisham in Greenwich combined. The fact that they managed to hold the Olympics and kept case numbers so low is a credit to them.

Delta variant could 'mutate its way out of existence' say scientists | Metro News

She's no member of iSage. How do you think any academic is going to have a reputation by making things up? This applies the iSage as much as anyone else...

God you're quick, I deleted it.

As far as academics are concerned, I knew Hugh Trevor Roper at the time of the Hitler diaries scandal.

Metro News. I'm not familiar with that scientific journal.

Joe

Researchers at Japan’s National Institute of Genetics believe this is what happened after looking at an enzyme called nsp14. The enzyme’s purpose is to correct errors caused by replication.

Ituro Inoue, a genetics professor at the institute, said Delta couldn’t keep spreading and repair the errors that piled up at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back