advertisement

decent wire strippers

Neil P

pfm Member
I've just come to strip some speaker cable ends (not done for years), and my household wire strippers just can't cope. What do other people use?

I've just come to strip some speaker cable ends (not done for years), and my household wire strippers just can't cope. What do other people use?
I like these: https://www.knipex.com/products/wir...s/self-adjusting-insulation-strippers/1240200
IM0007777.jpg

I can't find an AWG for my cables (cambridge ultra 100) ... do i just measure the core and choose an AWG size just above that?

If it's the speaker cable with a really thick insulation, rolling the wire with a craft knife blade works.
I think cable strippers might struggle with a shotgun cable with thick flexible insulation.

You only need to score the insulation then bend it to 90 degrees and it will break, twist clockwise while pulling off.

Split the shotgun first, then tape one core back to make it easier to strip the other.

If it's the speaker cable with a really thick insulation, rolling the wire with a craft knife blade works.
I think cable strippers might struggle with a shotgun cable with thick flexible insulation.

You only need to score the insulation then bend it to 90 degrees and it will break, twist clockwise while pulling off.

Split the shotgun first, then tape one core back to make it easier to strip the other.

Cheers. I normally buy ready terminated cable, but got some cheap off the real stuff for my desktop system. I'm loath to buy 50 quid strippers for 10 quid cable :) So your tip looks great, thanks.

Cutter knife for me, accurate and quick. Tried a few wire strippers but don't generally get on with them, finding they work well on some wires but by no means all.

When doing a lot of cables I do find I end up with a few epidermal lines (read very shallow cuts) on the pad of my thumb though.

having tried just about every type, i settled on these,
F0243112-01

or these, for repeatable length stripping,
ck3009__48778.1600685526.png

anything else struggles especially with PTFE insulation

advertisement

Back