advertisement

United States of Europe??

You're twsiting things again and making false accusations. I never said I was OK with anything, did I.

Well denial of the point made, that the UK is indeed failing very many more people as a result of deliberate policy, leaves you where on it exactly?

With good reason.
Megalolz.
51711460724_43deef71bc_b.jpg

Maybe it sounds close to being one to you, and is one to Decameron. But to rational people with a balanced point of view, it is a long way from being one.

Rational people with a balanced point of view wouldn't vote for Boris Johnson. It seems balance and reason are being lost to social media-fuelled hysteria, propaganda and toxic rhetoric.

Well denial of the point made, that the UK is indeed failing very many more people as a result of deliberate policy, leaves you where on it exactly?
There is a lot of work to be done, we could start by getting rid of Johsnon. That would give things a decent boost right there. Someone that is a bit more diplomatic and more able to see more pieces of the jigsaw at the same time and someone with less ego.

I have no names to suggest, though.

Rational people with a balanced point of view wouldn't vote for Boris Johnson. It seems balance and reason are being lost to social media-fuelled hysteria, propaganda and toxic rhetoric.
True, how many people voted for the tories though? Less than 15 million?

Possibly because at a time when the richest are coining it thanks to the politicians they pay for and billions of pounds of public money is being shovelled into donor's pockets - Johnson talks of ‘building back better’ and 'levelling up'.

Meanwhile the reality is huge growth in food banks and poverty being fuelled directly by deliberate policy. Sounds pretty close to a state that is failing to me. The fact that some of those affected bought Johnson's folksy boosterism matters not one jot.
Agree with you totally, except there is no such thing as ‘public money’ other than that which this government decides to allocate. It can allocate whatever it wants, it is the fact that it decides to allocate it to the rich and withhold it from the poor is the issue that, for me, makes this government morally bankrupt

There is a lot of work to be done, we could start by getting rid of Johsnon. That would give things a decent boost right there. Someone that is a bit more diplomatic and more able to see more pieces of the jigsaw at the same time and someone with less ego.

I have no names to suggest, though.

The problem with that is removing Johnson (desirable as that is) leaves those who paid for him still controlling the new head. The policy decisions are not all Johnson's and frankly he is such a weather vane, I doubt he agrees with all of them anyway. Johnson had one ambition that had little to do with policy and was all about getting the PM's job.

The people funding the Tories have an agenda to be delivered, whether that's Sunak, Gove or (FFS Truss) is irrelevent. Meet the new boss....

It was Decameron, not me.
I wasn’t responding to Decameron, I was was responding to you where you said there was an official definition of what a failed state is. Dec no doubt has his own opinion of what constitutes a failed state, and I have mine, but I’ve not heard of an official definition.

Switzerland is not an EEA member - it was refused in a 1992 referendum. The vote split was interesting:

600px-Swiss_EEA_membership_referendum_results_by_canton%2C_1992.png

With the exception of the two Basel cantons, the French speakers all said yes, the rest said no. What the map doesn't show is Liechtenstein, which voted yes, and is thus in the EEA, which would have pleased Hilti (its biggest employer).

The TV interviews at the time were revelatory - the French speakers saw EEA membership as opening up to the world, the German speakers saw it as letting in more nasty foreign influence (a thankfully dwindling proportion of Swiss see the country as Paradise on Earth, surrounded by greedy, grasping, jealous foreigners).
You're right of course*, as a member of EFTA Switzerland could join and had signed the EEA agreement but did not to join. But Switzerland has a raft of bilateral agreements that enable participation in the internal market, so the effect is not very different.

*I had done a quick check, which showed that Switzerland was indeed a member of the EEA; but that was the European Environment Agency. Doh, should've looked at the title.
https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/figures/eea-member-countries-4

The problem with that is removing Johnson (desirable as that is) leaves those who paid for him still controlling the new head. The policy decisions are not all Johnson's and frankly he is such a weather vane, I doubt he agrees with all of them anyway. Johnson had one ambition that had little to do with policy and was all about getting the PM's job.

The people funding the Tories have an agenda to be delivered, whether that's Sunak, Gove or (FFS Truss) is irrelevent. Meet the new boss....
Yes, the problem isn’t just Johnson. He might be at the head of the corruption and lies, but the body is rotten down to the toes

I think we can expect a grim finale after Christmas. Bernard Manning, Oswald Mosley, the Duke of Windsor and Mrs.Simpson at a variety performance hosted by Boris Johnson and Michael Gove. An interval where the award for most racist ***t is given out by Jim Davidson and Katie Hopkins. Lifetime achievement awards for Jimmy Savile and Margaret Thatcher. A shit buffet and an orchestra sponsored by G4S and Randox Laboratories.

Where is this figure from? I found an Open Democracy article that states that 43.6% of those who voted in December 2019 voted Conservative, i.e. for Boris Johnson:

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/boris-johnson-triumphant-victory-or-distorted-electoral-system/

With this system, the last general elections (December 12, 2019) were trumpeted to be a triumph for Boris Johnson because the Conservative Party won a very comfortable majority of seats – 365 out of 650 seats (or 56.2%). But, if a proportional system was used (as in the European Parliament elections, see Table 1), the results and their interpretation change drastically: the Conservative Party, with 43.6% of the votes, would obtain only 284 seats, and the coalition (Labour, the SNP, the LibDem and the Greens) would have won a majority of seats (209+25+75+18=327 out of 650).

^ You said earlier, ‘about 40% of the electorate’. You should know by now pedants abound.

It could be worse. Some folk do these calculations based on the entire population when it suits their point.

Note: The issue I would take with that source you quoted is ‘the coalition’. The LibDems would side with the tories and no party can form a coalition with a nationalist party that wants to break up the UK. The tories would still have won under those circumstances. Very disappointing but I would still prefer PR.

^ You said earlier, ‘about 40% of the electorate’. You should know by now pedants abound.

It could be worse. Some folk do these calculations based on the entire population when it suits their point.

Note: The issue I would take with that source you quoted is ‘the coalition’. The LibDems would side with the tories and no party can form a coalition with a nationalist party that wants to break up the UK. The tories would still have won under those circumstances. Very disappointing but I would still prefer PR.

Pedantry is not the same as accuracy. The electorate and the number of votes cast are two very different things as you can easily see by comparing the percentage of the electorate that voted Tory (29) to the percentage of voters that voted Tory (43). But you knew that.

advertisement

Back