advertisement

Thread for photos of really nice record shelves

I just wonder if owners of such large collections put a small card in the sleeve of each album with its “last date played” how many were actually in regular rotation and how many are bought and just shelved!

I've done just that for a few years but not for that reason. I already have the date the record was cleaned, but thought I'd keep notes on condition, s.q. etc. as a reference upon replay or for the future. Of course, it does tell me how many times I play stuff, though where have multiple recordings, I want to differentiate between them for eventual resale, as at least I can advertise with 'my notes' as a guide.

Of late this procedure has prompted me to play stuff I've never played or bought and just sampled. The only caveat to the above is that I frequently have trouble deciphering my notes.:(

When you reach 10,000 albums as an individual what percentage actually get played? I get that if something pops into you’re head the ability to pull the track / album off the shelf is wonderful, effectively analog streaming!
I just wonder if owners of such large collections put a small card in the sleeve of each album with its “last date played” how many were actually in regular rotation and how many are bought and just shelved!

I guess the thing is if you're interested in music, and still buy it on a physical format, you're going to accumulate quite a bit over time. I don't think people get to 1000 albums or whatever and decide they have enough now and will stop investigating new music. That would be a bit odd.

If your living space is limited, as mine is, buying more records requires regular purges. If I had the space I would hang on to a lot more!

My 'overflow' LP collection (which is actually the stuff most often played) effectively blocks access to a whole cupboard full of LPs that are less often played, mainly classical boxsets acquired at charity shops over the years, to which they'll probably return.

I don't think people get to 1000 albums or whatever and decide they have enough now and will stop investigating new music. That would be a bit odd.

I must be odd then, Paul, because I certainly won't be buying any more vinyl and even CDs are unlikely and it won't be new music. Age does alter perspectives, among other things......!;)

I got to about 2,000 records and 12,000 CDs, but in last 12 months have been having a purge. Down to around 1,200 records and 9,000 CDs now and think I will leave it around there. Still buy both but more CDs than records as they are better value (to me). Will have a biannual purge I think and move anything on I haven't listened to or wanted to listen to.

I'm one of life's saps who is a sucker for a limited edition, so I end up buying stuff I'll never listen to. I guess with record collections there is an element of actual collecting to it, IE I know I may never listen to it all but I still buy it, a bit like completing a Panini sticker album, useless but fun.

I spent a couple of hours looking for volume one of a cd I picked up in a charity shop, and was disappointed I couldn’t find it, didn’t even like the cd very much.

Pete

Bit of an experiment for me. This is a 9 year old pic. that I found and have posted via my wife's website. At the mo' it seems to be link only but it should be either/or photo or link. Probably my fault.

Unfortunately, nearly all the kit has changed as well as the tables and stands since 2012. Job tomorrow is try to find more recent pic's on the mem. stick and/or DVD.

This does show the alcove browsing shelves, though; speakers still in situ.

https://www.dandelion-web.com/mike-hifi/hifi.jpg

@Mike Reed if you click the image button at the top (next to the smiley) you can paste in the link and will display in the post.

hifi.jpg

That's quite a reduction in so short a time. How did you manage it, as I'm in a similar position.

I worked my way through them during the various lockdowns and simply asked myself how likely was I to listen to each one ever again given the number of discs/records I had. Most stuff I got rid of was either 80s/90s pop/rock or some more focused late 70s/early 80s club stuff. I sold them in two batches to local collectors through a few contacts I have made in my area. I got reasonable cash for the records, less so for the CDs, but it was better than trying to advertise them myself as I just don't have time for that right now. It was quite therapeutic and I found myself keeping and playing records and discs I had not listened to for years.

Just looking at the photo shouts out that your wife is subtly asking you to buy her some flowers for the array of vases!

advertisement

Back