advertisement

Freezing me ‘nads off

NE Scotland. We lost power at 18.00 on Friday night. Still out at 16.00 Sunday and apparently it may be a few days more yet. It’s 0c out there and intermittent snow storms.

It’s getting to me going for a long drive in the car to get warm and charge everyone’s phones. Lots of trees down and a rather nice RS5 lying on its side in a ditch nearby (ouch).

It’s all bit rubbish but when you consider refugees in Europe, and the homeless here, having to live through the winter without a roof over their head it kinda puts it all in perspective. I shall be donating to a refugee charity when we get power back.

My parents are in the same boat in Braemar. Thankfully they have a wood burning stove.

Geez, that's pretty rough Colin. You really do live in the deep dark North now. The power company doesn't seem to have much of an idea on what is buggered given their constant updates moving back time to power resumption. It will be interesting to see what actually failed to cause days of outages.

Good luck mate, it doesn't sound like a nice situation.

I got home (nr. Arbroath) on Friday at 16.40 just as it really started blowing. Sat down then off went the power...
Thankfully we still have a log/coal fire but that's just one room so a bit chilly since then.
But...only 25 mins ago it came back on!! Just waiting for the oil heating to catch up now.
Hope all others get theirs back on soon!

(Oh, and the water went off for a day too, which added to the fun...)

NE Scotland. We lost power at 18.00 on Friday night. Still out at 16.00 Sunday and apparently it may be a few days more yet. It’s 0c out there and intermittent snow storms.

It’s getting to me going for a long drive in the car to get warm and charge everyone’s phones. Lots of trees down and a rather nice RS5 lying on its side in a ditch nearby (ouch).

It’s all bit rubbish but when you consider refugees in Europe, and the homeless here, having to live through the winter without a roof over their head it kinda puts it all in perspective. I shall be donating to a refugee charity when we get power back.
Serves you right for living in Scotchland. Better send some woollens to Brian as he’s threatening to annex territory again.

Looking at the SSE Power Track app tonight and comparing with this morning shows how massive the problems are. Number of outages haven't really decreased, I would guess that quite often they fix something then they find more issues when they try to reconnect. The numbers of consumers off is reduced, but the number of individual faults is not really declining so fast.

According to the app my two sisters and my niece who live only 3 miles west of Elgin had power restored this afternoon/evening. My niece decamped with her 4 month old daughter to stay with a friend, too cold for the baby.

Always wanted to visit Scotland but a winter in Whitby sorted that out. I think you need to be born there to handle it. I’m a southern softy so I shall remain as southerly as I can. A freezing 8c today that, with wind chill brought it down to an artic six above zero!

It does equip you with certain skills. When I first moved to the East Midlands I was gobsmacked to see traffic grinding to a halt in a couple of centimetres of snow.

I was the same when I lived in London - the tiniest hint of snow or ice and it was carnage. I initially felt smug as I had a 4x4, but it was useless as the roads were blocked with abandoned cars.

Relatively balmy down in Essex, spent most of the day in the yard sanding doors.

Chainsaw out today for more logs though.

No power or mobile yet I’m 20 mons from Colin, managed to get WiFi in a garden centre 30 miles away, handling several hundred emails then away back home before it gets dark, part of Banchory and Aboyne centre have power but no mobile signal, west is dark afaik towards Braemar

My part of Ballater up and running again and have O2 mobile signal. Aboyne town centre is up too but no mobile an hour ago, Dess is still dark, dunno about Torphins way bit too dodgy over there for us to venture :)

Serves you right for living in Scotchland. Better send some woollens to Brian as he’s threatening to annex territory again.
Annex territory? You lost me there.

Scotchland is very nice but you have to take the rough with the smooth and Colin sounds like he’s managing that just fine.

It’s not bad where I am, shorts and t-shirt despite the snow the other day and the heating is barely coming on. The room is currently 16deg and that suits me fine.

The SO will complain but I can send you guys a hot water bottle each if you’re a bit cold, send me a PM with the address. ;)

But everything's OK, several people stuck somewhere for three nights warm and cozy with lots of beer....some don't want to leave...that's how the BBC see it at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-59446663

Equal standing on the home page with those with three nights without power, except the former is 3rd on the most read list and the below not at all... :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59451287

When I cycled to the Tan Hill they had their own snow-cat outside, I guess it must just be an ornament these days, if they still even have it.

My part of Ballater up and running again and have O2 mobile signal. Aboyne town centre is up too but no mobile an hour ago, Dess is still dark, dunno about Torphins way bit too dodgy over there for us to venture :)

Angus,

Apparently there is power now from about 17.00, but the water supply is erratic. Presumably you need a decent water supply to run the central heating? We shall check the situation tomorrow morning before venturing back.

advertisement

Back