advertisement

Loudspeaker compromises

Love horns, the presence and scale is addictive, but the best need to be big speakers in a huge room. Had jbl’s with custom horn subs, omg.
Had esl 57 and thought them near perfect, but need serious amps (Berning otl in my case) and my cats kept scratching cloth and knocking them over,two big 22lb Maine coones. Also so wide obscured tv in new house.
My compromise is size of living room, I miss my Victorian flat in southsea, 22ft by 26ft (32ft inc bay) 15ft ceilings. I had a party and a band fitted into the bay window area. Space allows volume, big speakers breathe giving deep bass, and proper scale and dynamics, with less fuss over positioning.
Don’t like compromises, ocd (real) makes me obsess over every detail, I changed every plug on my kondo avocados from Furutech to Oyaide , one I realised there was a significant gain in musicality I was hooked, rhodium 037 for analogue,gold 079 for digital. Wasn’t cheap, but until I completed change the presence of Furutech plugs really bugged me.

i bought a furutech 1363 mains plug copy recently ... not a patch on furutech quality !!

Furutech plugs sound overdamped in comparison to Oyaide,esp fi50 and Ncf types, tried most of range.

With my in-situ 2-way Ergo E-IXs, I sacrificed ultimate loudness and some of the bottom octave for a totally seamless and coherent music replay. If anything, the scale and gravitas they bring seem to defy their diminutive dimensions. So, not much sacrifice at all.

I have three other pairs of 3-way loudspeakers I can rotate in to appease any appetite for loudness, stunt bass - but not the ultimate in coherence.

Just FYI, I called dayton and whined on the phone like an old woman for about 20 minutes, begging them to make a 3" version of the soft dome.

(For those of you listening in, if you don't know, you don't need to know.)

Just FYI, I called dayton and whined on the phone like an old woman for about 20 minutes, begging them to make a 3" version of the soft dome.

I truly admire your persistence. If that 3" dome ever eventuate, I'll need you to know it's still going to be tough for a 3-way system to emulate the coherence of a good 2-way.

I truly admire your persistence. If that 3" dome ever eventuate, I'll need you to know it's still going to be tough for a 3-way system to emulate the coherence of a good 2-way.

Didn't Dynaudio make a 3" dome back in the 1980s or 1990s? That would be close to a 3" version of the Morel, since Morel are sort of the Israeli licensed version of Dynaudio.

There were 2" domes too, available with either a flat plate or a waveguide.

Yank, we're looking for a more robust 3" dome; more akin to the expensive ATC with a lesser price tag. 2" doesn't go low enough to do justice for a Yamaha NS-1000M tribute.

I traded the sheer clarity and accuracy of my beloved Russell K reds for a bit more bass and a bit less realism of the Kudos S20a

After a year I'm still not entirely convinced I got a better deal (when listening to certain tracks)

The Dayton 2" soft dome doesn't measure very well, and the metal dome version measures worse than it used to, due to the fact that at some point they replaced the fibreglass in the rear chamber with polyester wadding (I have fixed that on mine though, and even improved on the old design).
BlieSMa are bringing out a range of 3" dome mids made out of various materials, one being beryllium, but they won't be cheap.

We considered that but it is not particularly flat and does not go low enough to match well with a 12" woofer.

The datasheet doesn't look great, but measurements I've seen of it over at Ampslab.com look quite good.
The AR-66 mid is crossed at 450hz according to the specifications.

The AR-66 mid is crossed at 450hz according to the specifications.
Scan-speak recommends above 600Hz, given fs of around 300Hz. With just +/- 0.4mm of linear travel, it won't take much to stress the driver when crossed lower than it is designed for.

Scan-speak recommends above 600Hz, given fs of around 300Hz. With just +/- 0.4mm of linear travel, it won't take much to stress the driver when crossed lower than it is designed for.

With a 4th order LR high pass filter set 450hz, my sims suggest a single driver at 1mtr will hit xmax at 103.9db, and due to the generous max excursion limit, will go far louder. Fs would need to be notched, but that's not a problem. Someone over at diyaudio seemed to think they sound fine crossed at 380hz!

Switched from valve power to big SS power. Miss the immediate and natural sound of valves - think James Taylor physically in your room. Positives - the amps don't break down and I have two extra lower octaves.

The Dayton 2" soft dome doesn't measure very well, and the metal dome version measures worse than it used to, due to the fact that at some point they replaced the fibreglass in the rear chamber with polyester wadding (I have fixed that on mine though, and even improved on the old design).
BlieSMa are bringing out a range of 3" dome mids made out of various materials, one being beryllium, but they won't be cheap.

What's the story with the BlieSMa ? Never heard of it.

These folks over at Kartesian seem to make really interesting stuff but they haven't yet made a dome mid....

James - yes, I am fully aware that whatever (and big "IF" ever gets made) we make/you design that it won't have the same perfect coherence as the E-IX. That being said, rather than phrasing compromises as what we won't get, it's kinda more important to note what we might get--and you've been very clear in your design vision. That's what's worth shooting for.

James - yes, I am fully aware that whatever (and big "IF" ever gets made) we make/you design that it won't have the same perfect coherence as the E-IX.
I've been listening to the E-IXs since reinstating them about four weeks ago. When they are driven by a pair of Densen B-350 monos (125WPC into 8R), they leave very little else to be desired. The mighty Yamaha NS-1000Ms might not get another listen for a while. The E-IXs certainly seem to defy their size and the laws of physics in my room.

advertisement

Back