advertisement

EWA pfm tour: ABCaudio demo kit

Oops, I'm next in the queue...was there something I was supposed to do?

not at all, Sir. I have some LS-40 speaker cables, some Starting Point speaker cables and a pair of starting point interconnects (pre production, so red shrinkwrap on both pairs) to return, it's all boxed up and waiting for Alan to tie up with me so I can take advantage of ABC Audio's deal with a courier to get them back to their home :)

I've enjoyed listening to all these items. The real star of the show for me - based on bang per buck - is definitely the starting point speaker cable. The LS-40 speaker cable is no slouch, the interconnects are rather nice when they come on song, but that starting point speaker cable is just lovely.

LS-80: So good, it got nicked! (by a courier, BTW; not a fishie!)

Sorry things have stalled somewhat, let's get things back on track:

New LS-80 will go to @eisenach ASAP. I think also the assorted box of cables - they will probably arrive next week (they are coming here first).

The LS-40 is coming back too - I think they go to @Gre_gor next?

The M-50 is safely in the clutches of @johnacurtis and so will something else soon...

@gustav_errata were you the last to play with the Claymore amplifier?

I haven't had the pleasure of testing any EWA stuff yet. I think we were waiting until it could coincide with some speaker cables, since I only have NACA5 with pesky Naim termination on-hand.
LS-80: So good, it got nicked! (by a courier, BTW; not a fishie!)

Sorry things have stalled somewhat, let's get things back on track:

New LS-80 will go to @eisenach ASAP. I think also the assorted box of cables - they will probably arrive next week (they are coming here first).

The LS-40 is coming back too - I think they go to @Gre_gor next?

The M-50 is safely in the clutches of @johnacurtis and so will something else soon...

@gustav_errata were you the last to play with the Claymore amplifier?

I was going to send to Gre_gor, but he wasn't ready to receive them.

Got your email thanks, Alan - but no labels included (I'm assuming they were supposed to be an attachment?) also, please send details of what I will owe for the shipment and acceptable payment methods! It's been an absolute pleasure trying these cables, thank you.

Sorry @ABCaudio but my current circumstances do not allow me to test the cables so please remove me from the waiting list. I hope I haven't caused any trouble. Thanks anyway!

Alan, can you let me know when the IC 40 digital cable will be ready to buy. Also can you elaborate on the active circuitry in it as well

Hi Muttley,

Sorry I missed your post previously. When is it available? Soon, we hope. The factory are building these boards for us at the same time as the new USB plug boards, and mains filter plug boards. We await their response... What is going in there? It is a variation of something Colin previously designed called 'Waveform', with filters added. I will look very silly indeed if I try and regurgitate what Colin has told me about it, so I hope he will explain a little about the circuits we are adding to both the digital interconnects and to the USB cables.

@Amormusic added to the LS-40 list (sorry I missed your previous post). Anyone else I miss - please do give me a shout and I will add you to the demo list. And, any newly interested ones are welcome too.

The assorted box of cables is delayed a just a little while until it gets back here, but the LS-80 are back in circulation. I have the Starting Point and LS-40 here, so I need shipping details from @gustav_errata for SP and @yespsb for LS-40 please - just start a conversation (private discussion) with me, or contact me at the webshop: [email protected]. Gustav, do you want to try the Claymore next?

I have a few sets of LS-40 and LS-25 that have been on my shelf much of the year (I hand-build to order). They are available at a discount to 'fishies' if you are interested. See here for the link: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/ewa-ls-40-speaker-cable-two-discounted-sets.261733/

Good afternoon all,

I've got a rotten cold. Had to go out last night after organising a 40 strong work do. The sky is bright but colourless. It's cold. I'm on the herbal tea with the heating on and a wheatbag in tow. I'm 38 going on 98. Ha ha.

I'm listening to Alduos Harding via my ProAc SM100s and my new EWA A40 which I paid for Thursday. Yesterday I had some MJ Cole and Sandy Rivera (KOT) on for contrast.

It didn't take me long to decide on this one.
Having already borrowed an M50 (which I was about to buy) Alan suggested I try the A40.

This isn't just a great amp, it's the best amp I've ever heard. It's so, so right.

I usually tit about with the volume, ramping it up to try and get closer to the music. And then down again when it starts booming or getting irritating. Today it's been on one level all day long and it's musical bliss. So balanced and subtle. A so seemingly distortionless on vocals!? Eery clear, detailed, pleasant.

Overall the amp is not just clear, super fast, tight and all that jazz. It's just so right, open, balanced and effortless to listen to. I've had some trouble accepting what I am getting for the money. Like, it should be a lot more.

Along side my TT2 it's the best piece of equipment I've purchased. I often read people say; "I can't imagine how good the next level is" and I think; "I can". On this occasion I genuinely think this pushes me to a place I've never been. I must add the full look of EWA power/int/spk cable does make the system a lot more transparent. I also recently added a DC3 to my TT2 and this is also a very nice piece of kit.

I nearly gave up with the ProAcs in this room. Reverting to Tab Anns. But the SM100s are back in and my goodness the tone, clarity and insight is blissful.

On Colin and Alan

These guys make the audio industry look like a bag of rascals (with exception of 1 or 2 decent dealers out there).

Absolute gentlemen. Have gone out of their way to help me on many occasions. Colin called me a couple of times to discuss the amp and I have to say what a decent, grounded chap you are. Despite a very illustrious career you still have time for a chat with a very simple layman such as myself. Alan has been shipping things back and forth to me with pleasure.

Thanks to you both.

My SN3 is on ebay. Which is a really good integrated I have to say. But the A40 offers a lot more magic. I don't miss the Naim - as I have before with other amps.

Buy with confidence.

Give me a year, an M100S might be following. God help me.

Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam,

I do hope your cold gets better soon.

The M50 is a stereo power amp with a Class SECA drive stage it has a common single PSU and 4 pairs of 25A power devices on each channel with a 300VA transformer.
It can give you over 50W/8R and 100W/4R.
The A40 has balance in as well as unbalance inputs and has a dual PSU with a common transformer but separate DC outputs and 30,000uf/channel of bulk caps.
It has 3 pairs of 25A power devices a channel and SECA drive, it has a regulated PSU.
It is only 40W/8R and 8W/4R min.
The SECA stage is run deeper into Class A and runs a lot hotter than the M50.
BW on both amps is better the 5Hz -100KHz flat. The rise a full time of the M50 is better than 50nS but the A40 is better than 20nS.
The first 5, A40 has auto trigger so as you start to play music it will switch on, this caused a few problem in some homes by switching on with clicks on the mains supply, it will only now be added by request on purchase.
All versions of the A40 have dual Common Mode EMC/RFI filtering circuit and soft in rush limiting.
All my power amps have a input impedance of 20KR ideal for EWA preamps and most good preamps.
The balance input are the standard 600R.
DC offset better than 1mV, Damping over 300.
Temperature of the heatsink is kept to no higher than 40Deg C for safety reasons so in hot climates this is backed down no burning of delicate hands allowed, unless you live in a very nasty hot place.

The original M40 was supposed to be called the Sibelius but sadly due to this evil bug/Brexit and other limitations was dropped.( For those great speakers made by Pearl Acoustic).

I have have one here running now for over 6 month and I am chuffed how well it performs, my wife will not part with it Alan, sorry you have keep using the Silver one.

There will be a version with the auto trigger going around for a listen soon.

Watch out for the new budget price integrated also based on the same principles but only 40W/ch, with MC,MM, 3 Aux and a balance input and only 1 pair of power devices, a cut down version of the Claymore.

Thank you all for your feedback.

For you the one that is stuck in the chair (me) a version of the new budget integrated at a later date will have remote. (it will cost a little more sorry)
Due to my obversion to digital lies and the dreadful noises they make with music and interference (oh I did computer studies at Uni and worked for ICL but still hate digital lies) I have designed a Remote which is analogue and runs way past audio and the harmonic of common sounds, i.e. 400MHz the first prototype had a range just a wee bit far like 200yrd, so reduced power to run at 40ft.
So when complete we will need volunteers to try it out, no cooking of pizza on it please. (less than 1mW)

Also at a later time maybe April we will have a integrated based on the A40 with MC.MM,2Aux and Balance and remote control price to be calculated. ( not cheap sorry)

Can't wait for the A40 to arrive on my doorstep! I still have the M50, so can do a fairly straightforward back to back comparison!
I just hope the A40 can drive my Shahinian Compasses as well as the M50 does!! Just a little worried about the lower power, but hopefully that won't be an issue!

Can't wait for the A40 to arrive on my doorstep! I still have the M50, so can do a fairly straightforward back to back comparison!
I just hope the A40 can drive my Shahinian Compasses as well as the M50 does!! Just a little worried about the lower power, but hopefully that won't be an issue!

John, I think you'll like it.
I'm not sure there's anyone that wouldn't enjoy it to be honest.

advertisement

Back