advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no country has mandated wfh as part of their omicron strategy I guess. Not a single one. It would be a case of British exceptionalism.
For a change Boris is being sensible. Take action early, repent at leisure if need be. It’s f’ing obvious, watch others follow..except of course other countries have mask rules in place already, vaccine passports too.

Yet he’s undermined measures like ask wearing so that people can’t take him at his word. We had good mask compliance before but now about one in three people disembarking trains from London into Edinburgh walk through the station without masks.

For a change Boris is being sensible. Take action early, repent at leisure if need be. It’s f’ing obvious, watch others follow..except of course other countries have mask rules in place already, vaccine passports too.

I think the big thing that he’s doing, or hoping to do, is extending the 3rd dose down to much younger cohorts. All bets are on the vaccines we have right now being the best weapon we have right now. I think he’s made a good call. And after today’s conference I still feel like I did yesterday about Boris Johnson and Covid - during the whole of 2021 so far he’s done well in his covid strategy, very well. IMO.

Exclusive new SEM photo of the new omicron variant has been published:
t26x9r6a3dmy.png

The tories are once again not doing enough at the right time. Always too late, it’s a running theme.

Relatively easy to satisfy people who are satisfied by symbolic gestures. At least for a time. Then they get angry again, because of course...Well, they don’t really work :).

Work from home would have been helpful I suppose. PCR for travellers seems reasonable but ought to be free.
Not when it is done 2 days after arriving here.

Worldwide, nobody should be allowed to travel to another country without a recent negative PCR test at their starting point.

I want to sleep with common sense people.
I daresay the common sense people do too.

Exactly. ****wit Johnson is a ****wit relying on a largely ****wit electorate to applaud him for making ****wit decisions too ****wit late.

Apologies for entirely justified malediction.
Can’t disagree with any of that, though I’m waiting for one of the usual ****wits to tell me I support it even though I’ve said I don’t.

This is a better approach than the UK, though I definitely prefer negative PCR test before travel then you don’t need even a temporary ban. I see why they’re doing it though.
Israel to impose travel ban for foreigners over new variant
Source: BBC

PS: The rules regarding wearing of masks and distancing should never have been relaxed in the UK.

I definitely prefer negative PCR test before travel then you don’t need even a temporary ban.
That would be a far more sensible approach but of course it doesn't allow Boris's mates to line their pockets with the proceeds of over-priced PCR tests in the UK.
PS: The rules regarding wearing of masks and distancing should never have been relaxed in the UK.
Mask wearing has never been enforced in the UK and won't be this time - it's all bollocks.

Boris Johnson has been accused of ignoring a senior official’s plan to prepare Britain for the emergence of vaccine-resistant Covid variants, the Observer can reveal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-tackle-deadly-covid-variants-senior-official

That’s a tremendous article, really reassuring, he’s sure that the existing vaccines will protect against omicron for serious illness. I’m opening a good bottle of wine today to celebrate.

While he said that the Omicron variant now detected in the UK was likely to be more resistant to current vaccines, he was hopeful that it would not necessarily lead to increased serious illness and death. “The current variant that’s coming is a beast,” he said. “It’s got a lot of mutations in it and the likelihood is that the antibodies that we’ve already generated from the vaccines will be less effective. They’re less effective against the Delta variant in terms of stopping people getting infected, but they are effective in stopping people getting seriously ill or dying.

“I think that will maintain with the South African variant. The reason they stop people getting seriously ill and dying is not the antibody response. It’s the longer-term cellular immune response. And it’s pretty obvious now that that’s what is keeping people out of hospital and keeping people from dying. So I’m pretty sure that response won’t wane.”

As far as all that stuff about his plan being ignored, he just sounds like another bitter and neurotic little man out to make a wave and cause trouble, à la St Dominic. I bet Dix has got a deal with Valneva.

The problem is they were never anything more than paying lip service to the notion as any even light touch enforcement was non-existent.

They also need to be at least partly re-introduced in schools.
There was a lot of mask wearing when I ventured out where I live, but a whole lot less in recent times. The change has been very noticeable.

That would be a far more sensible approach but of course it doesn't allow Boris's mates to line their pockets with the proceeds of over-priced PCR tests in the UK.

Mask wearing has never been enforced in the UK and won't be this time - it's all bollocks.
True, but it’s not just people coming in, everyone leaving the UK should be forced to have a PCR test before being allowed out of the country. Plenty of scope there for pocket lining and over-pricing. I had to have one just a few weeks ago before a holiday within 3 days of leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back