advertisement

Let's hope the doting mothers are ready ...

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-59337022

For years Joe Harrington played football games on his computer. Then his father, Gerry, introduced him to his own childhood game - Subbuteo. They are among a growing number of people who have fallen (or re-fallen) in love with Subbuteo. What's the appeal of the (miniature) beautiful game?

"Subbuteo is making a resurgence in the UK," says Gerry Harrington. "I think it coincided with lockdown, when people found themselves at home more and looked in their lofts for board games to play."

Mr Harrington senior runs the Haverhill Rovers Subbuteo and Table Football Club in Suffolk.

Two years ago, the club had just two members - Gerry and his son Joe.

The club's membership is now in double figures, with members coming in from miles around, including Cambridge and Ipswich.

In January, the club will host a Federation International Sports Table Football open international event.

Never played it but if I did I would be the goalie and put a massive pair of gloves on him(/her).
I prefer table football and have a miniature table set up where my 2 year old grandson regularly trounces me.

Play nice kids, else your travelling army of synthetic supporters will be taken away from you and thrown in the bin

It took me ages to save up for my Subbuteo set. It had stadium battery powered lamps.
After getting the Subbuteo set I found it to be remarkably boring. It didn’t help that I didn’t really like football. I think I played with the floodlights more than the game…
I think I sold the set to some kid who lived on my street.

Scalextric was the thing that ate up all my pocket money after that, until I started buying records. :)

The one computer game I almost mastered was the one with a ball being batted back and forth, horizontally, between two "racquets" that you could slide up and down on the sides. But I never understood exactly how the scoring worked.

That's it! In Italy they used to have them in the more squalid cafe's in Rome in the early '70s. I wonder if there is a Linux version.....

Also marketed as Ricochet.

youtu-be-RVtowzQYLhA%20%281%29.png

Subbuteo did cricket and rugby in the 60s too. I had the cricket and the football. My original football set had the flat cardboard players. I eventually replaced them all with flat plastic ones. Then one year I went to The Boys and Girls Exhibition, went to the Subbuteo stall and found they were selling 3D players. What an advance.

advertisement

Back