advertisement

rice

it's about quantities, rate of cooling, and temperature/time. 6 toxins, 2 emetic, 4 diarrhoeic, if I recall, without looking it up. Some heat labile, some heat resistant. it's nothing new, it's a case study for every undergrad in town. You've either had enough toxin to make you sick, or not.
In SE Asian countries people use rice cookers to allow them time to cook fresh every meal. Much safer and reheated rice is not as good.

I love tahdig. We throw turmeric into the melted sizzling ghee prior to steaming. Often cut the rice with sumac, coriander and pomegranate seeds prior to serving. And add butter and an egg yolk before eating.

Made some the other day. My daughter is very talented in this cookery and carries the torch for her Mum.

Amazing. One of my best friends is Iranian and, growing up, I would often join in the family dinner whereupon his mum would cook up a feast! Sadly he’s moved to Seattle so instead I’ll go to one of the fantastic Persian restaurants dotted around West London.

Amazing. One of my best friends is Iranian and, growing up, I would often join in the family dinner whereupon his mum would cook up a feast! Sadly he’s moved to Seattle so instead I’ll go to one of the fantastic Persian restaurants dotted around West London.

We often visit Alounak in London. Lovely unpretentious eating place. All the family get involved in the cooking. I tend to do the rice cakes and Maast-O- Khiar etc.,including a smoked aubergine delight.

Nothing wrong with a pasty three times a day. Went to his original restaurant once: quite affordable 35 years ago!

Even I can cook rice though I’m a bit hit and miss with quantities, so we’re sometimes left with a portion more than we need. Fortunately the ducks at the local nature reserve love the stuff, so we have a nice walk, weather permitting, and they have a tasty snack.

We often visit Alounak in London. Lovely unpretentious eating place. All the family get involved in the cooking. I tend to do the rice cakes and Maast-O- Khiar etc.,including a smoked aubergine delight.

I know that restaurant well though I haven’t been to that one for a few years. There were often queues outside (before queues outside restaurants were hipster and ‘trendy’).

advertisement

Back