advertisement

RIP Stephen Sondheim

West Side Story made me realise that musicals can actually be rather good.

RIP Stephen, a musical genius for sure.

West Side Story made me realise that musicals can actually be rather good.

RIP Stephen, a musical genius for sure.

Agreed, although I still generally find the music/songs distract from the story. Sondheim was so clever and quirky that he made it work. RIP Mr Sondheim

Sondheim only wrote the lyrics for West Side Story - the music was of course by Leonard Bernstein. Sondheim's own music that blossomed later was something else, he was very different from the standard Broadway/West End fare.

I don't think we had enough opportunity to appreciate his work in the UK, his musicals were very rarely performed outside London. The BBC has over the years only very occasionally broadcast performances of his works - I remember being enthralled by a superb production of Into the Woods on TV but it must have been about 30 years ago. The film version that came out about 6 or 7 years ago with Emily Blunt and James Corden wasn't as good as it should have been somehow. Why weren't more of his musicals turned into films? I'd love to see productions of A Little Night Music or Sunday in the Park with George.

Meantime....

Last edited:
Sondheim only wrote the lyrics for West Side Story - the music was of course by Leonard Bernstein. Sondheim's own music that blossomed later was something else, he was very different from the standard Broadway/West End fare.

I don't think we got enough opportunity to appreciate his work in the UK, his musicals very rarely were performed outside London. The BBC has over the years only very occasionally broadcast performances of his works - I remember being enthralled by a superb production of Into the Woods on TV but it must have been about 30 years ago. The film version that came out about 6 or 7 years ago with Emma Blunt and James Corden wasn't as good as it should have been somehow. Why weren't more of his musicals turned into films? I'd love to see productions of A Little Night Music or Sunday in the Park with George.

Meantime....
He gave her the song.

R.i.P. Stephen Sondheim

He had an affect on me at an early age which has lasted throughout. Thanks for that. :)

advertisement

Back