advertisement

Porsche Lovers - where are you?

You need a premium quality car to get that as standard. Like my old and much lamented 2003 Mondeo.

My 1935 Morris 8 used to have a pair of electric elements and two way switch suckered onto the windscreen plugged into the aux power outlet.

If I may intercede...

Where are you Porsche lovers going to use these machines to their full potential without inconveniencing (at least) other legitimate road users?
If you are not intending to use the full potential of these vehicles.. why are you buyng them?

I really do not intend to be a 'spoilsport' and I'm not really just sniping at Porsche.. but in a world where the national speed limit is 70 mph..what is the point?

Knee deep in Porsches in this street. I don't drive but I've very much enjoyed riding in one. Plus they look great, sound great. Very nice cars - I get it.

More baffling to me are the folk with Lamborghinis. They can't make it over the speed bumps without a horrendous scraping noise. This are of SE London is all 20/30 mph roads and at weekends the traffic is pretty much stationary. Feels like almost exactly the wrong car to have.

It's a variation on the "Only air-cooled Porsches are real Porsches" riff. ;)

I sometimes enjoy the idea of replacing the engine in a Cayman/Boxster with an air cooled one. If my Boxster should ever explode it's engine, IMS-style, who knows (hope not)?

I've tried to like 911s, never really have. Caterhams and similar I get. 911s less so. I've been in then, can't get excited. M3s are the same. Give me a well sorted nat asp hot hatch first, all day long. Modest power, I don't mind. Still fun. I'd rather try to find and use 80% of 120 bhp than half of 400.

I've tried to like 911s, never really have. Caterhams and similar I get. 911s less so. I've been in then, can't get excited. M3s are the same. Give me a well sorted nat asp hot hatch first, all day long. Modest power, I don't mind. Still fun. I'd rather try to find and use 80% of 120 bhp than half of 400.

Is that why you drive a 245bhp, 1.6 tonne coupe? ;)

I loved my Cayman S manual transmission, I had it for a couple of years while working in the ME. Thats a bike rack on the roof. I enjoyed it for its effortless motorway cruising. I tried it on track but was always afraid to push it as I couldn't afford any major repairs. Pushing it at corners revealed its lack of sports suspension and the gearing wasn't suited to track work.

Having never been on a track before moving to the ME after getting the bug on some track days I took up saloon car racing.I was never more than a novice but there's no comparison between a track prepared car and a road car and the shortcomings of the Cayman meant that my heart was stolen by this Japanese beauty!

Is that why you drive a 245bhp, 1.6 tonne coupe? ;)
Guilty as charged. However I drive it because it came to me dirt cheap from a friend and it does 45+ mpg with stomping performance. It drives like a saloon, not at all like a 911. It's this experience that makes me want a smaller hatch more, in fact. I hate to admit this last bit, the Mondeo was a better car to drive on a long trip, and easier to live with.

@stevec67

Please don’t think that a good 911 needs to be driven anywhere near flat out to be enjoyed.
A proper sports car’s chassis is a real treat when compared to a stiffened hatchback’s, and then there’s the music. And the feelgood factor. And the practicality.
Absolutely. I used to own a Caterham, I get it. As far as practicality goes, I have to be able to get a bike in it. Yes, I know about roofracks, but they're a pain. My current car does this well enough, it eats motorways and drives like the A5 in a party frock that it is. It's no sports car, but 200+ bhp and 4wd outperforms me on a public road. I do have to confess that it looks good and there is a feelgood factor that's missing from a Mondeo with rusty arches and a dent from a previous owner in every panel. It looks the part for the job. Not too flash, but "nice motor Steve. Is that the 3 litre then? Oh, very nice, I bet that moves when you want it to" is always good to hear, even if I don't like to admit it.I

In addition, things like a Suzuki Swift, which is very much a traditional hot hatch, and I'd like one, is noisy and harsh on a motorway trip. My current driving consists of 150 miles of m way and DC on Monday morning, same on Friday night. Average 60mph, in a straight line. In a small hatch? Not really.

But a Caterham can kill you...
Most very definitely. They grip and go, and go, and go, then when they do start sliding you realise that you are going very fast indeed and that you ran out of talent 20mph ago. In my case at Le Mans, cue gravel trap. If that happens on a public road, the scenery may be less forgiving.

advertisement

Back