advertisement

rice

This is why rice cookers are the obvious answer. Four pages and about 50 different ways of cooking rice "simply" - ranging from boil it for 10 minutes to soak it for 5 days in water first.

Sod all this faff and just buy one!
But they are not and why spend money to do something that is so easy? Most of Asia survived for millennia, and continue to survive, without.

urban households I presume. In rural communities maybe not.

Maybe!

I think we will need a reference for that, otherwise its just opinion eh? Wheres the stats!

It’s not easy finding the stats but here’s an interesting article:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/rice-cooker-history.amp

… which refers to this book which might be worth a read:

Where There Are Asians, There Are Rice Cookers: How "National" Went Global Via Hong Kong: How "national" Went Global Via Hong Kong
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/9888028081/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This is good. I suppose the next question is are rice cookers in Asia like bread makers in Europe?

Love that video.

It was Uncle Roger that sold a rice cooker to me. I'll never look back.
Me neither.

This is why rice cookers are the obvious answer. Four pages and about 50 different ways of cooking rice "simply" - ranging from boil it for 10 minutes to soak it for 5 days in water first.

Sod all this faff and just buy one!
Word!

I think you’ll find that most households in China, Japan and SE Asia will have rice cookers in them…
That's my experience.

I think rice cooking is another thing to be hijacked by the middle class "authentic" brigade. Meanwhile the folks who eat it morning noon and night are using a cheap rice cooker.

Agreed.

As far as record deck middle class owning muppets go we do seem to complicate things, Rice seems so relevant but if you want some real hipster bullshit check out the coffee brigade.

In the mean time 1 cup rice to 1 cup water, bring to boil, lid, turn heat down and keep an eye on it, oh and also, don't be incompetent.

Job done.

Absolutely, I do the same, fed a family of 5 for 30 years and haven't lost one yet. Whilst acknowledging the food hygiene expertise here and the possibility of contamination I am inclined to think that the risks are overblown for a domestic situation. I wonder if the guidance isn't dominated by considerations of public liability issues in the catering sector. The frozen rice, once thawed, is perfect for egg fried rice type dishes.
For domestic quantities it's easy. Any fool can do it. Cook it, fridge it, reheat once. Easy. Restaurant or factory quantities need a little more effort and attention to detail.

It's not about being a hard man, it's about quantities, rate of cooling, and temperature/time. 6 toxins, 2 emetic, 4 diarrhoeic, if I recall, without looking it up. Some heat labile, some heat resistant. it's nothing new, it's a case study for every undergrad in town. You've either had enough toxin to make you sick, or not.

I think you’ll find that most households in China, Japan and SE Asia will have rice cookers in them…
Well, I am not familiar with most households in those countries, nor those in India. What is the source of your assertion?

61ZC79bAZ5S._AC_SX679_.jpg

Well, I am not familiar with most households in those countries, nor those in India. What is the source of your assertion?

Me. My parents had one of those National Panasonic rice cookers back in the 70s and they certainly weren’t rich by any stretch of the imagination… and having been married to an Indonesian woman together with my own travels to that part of the world. I didn’t mention India as that’s not China, Japan or SE Asia.?

As Chiily says, where there’s electricity there’s a rice cooker…

Last edited:

advertisement

Back