advertisement

Isoacoustics pucks/orea

How do you know when the loading is optimal on these ones e.g. is the goal for the springs to compress to 50% their original length when loaded?
I'll try to keep this short since this thread is mainly on Isoacoustics. There are several theories on the optimal load. Some suggest that the Nobsound is based on Solid Tech's design where the optimal load is achieved when the gap between the lower and upper aluminium piece is 1-3mm. Some suggest 50% compression of the springs whilst few suggest to use the ears. Some used an app (accelerometer?) to measure the resonance of the component with each spring set up.

After 5 days of experimentation (on the Luxman), starting from 6 springs in each footer before going down to 2 and getting back up to 6, I've finally settled with 5 springs at the front and 4 springs at the rear (the Luxman is heavier at the front). This arrangement gave the best sound quality. The compression is exactly 50% with this 5/4 set up (gap at load = 7mm ; gap without load = 14mm).

The sound is noticeably different with each spring set up. In brief summary, too many springs (low compression) will produce a sound that is lean and light with reduced bass weight. Too little springs (high compression) reduced the airiness and 3-dimensionality. When it sounds right, you will know it and everything just sounds great. I've recorded the notes but won't post them here, too long.

The guidelines published by Solid Tech as below. It didn't work for me.

Screenshot-20211123-210101.jpg

I thought you could reduce the number of springs to adjust the loading.
Yes, I did try most of the spring configurations. It's an arduous task but there's no shortcut to getting great results without experimenting. I was hoping that the 1-3mm gap recommendation will produce the best result but it didn't work for me.

Basically down to weight. The standard IsoPuck holds up to 9Kg per puck, and my transport weighs 15Kg. Three IsoPucks would have too much load capacity, and two wouldn't be stable. So it's three Indigos (7.2Kg each) or six IsoPuck Minis (2.75Kg each) to support a 15Kg unit.

Also, there's allegedly a small improvement to be had with the silver series, although I doubt it's by much if at all. And they look a bit better under my silver-finish transport too.

FWIW IsoAcoustics could do with a 5Kg capacity Orea or IsoPuck since there's an awkward gap in their range - circa 15-17Kg components - that necessitates three Indigos or five Bronzes. I figured going beyond four might not be the best for levelling, so went with three Indigos. And even that's not entirely ideal as the best loading is close to, but just under, the max capacity (according to IsoAcoustics). Since they work on compression, best not to go over.

interesting . afraid i just stick to the standard ones . as long as they dont bottom out i am happy

advertisement

Back