advertisement

Elite Audio Showroom Event 27th Nov

Konteebos

Surfing on the lake of fire
Is anyone on here going? It looks like an interesting wee event from the dealer in the East Neuk of Fife. I've been interested in visiting this place for a while so this seemed like an ideal opportunity for me. You need to pre-book but I believe there are some places left.

Showroom Event 27 Nov 2021 ! (eliteaudiouk.com)

One of my favourite dealers but as it's a 9 or 10 hour drive for me so I think I'll have to give this a miss.

Last edited:
I can imagine the opening exchange: ‘Excuse me, are you by any chance a Konteboos?’

‘No I’m not and I haven’t had a drink for years’. :p:p

Haha. The lack of imagination from sellers of hifi is remarkable. Luckily I never visit such places.
I've heard some pretty good music at hi-fi dealers - I heard Meshel Ndgeocello, Peter Case and Alpha Blondy for the first time at various dealers. Admittedly I've also heard some awful MOR crap there, too - Acoustic Alchemy (remember them?), Adele, The Eagles, Norah Jones etc. etc.
Anyway, at least I like Miles Davis and I'll bring ear plugs for when they play Dire Straits...

I remember Acoustic Alchemy, a regular play on my system and still use the 'Back on the Case' album for assessing any new purchase, and they're great live :)

And they couldn't manage to get the Miles Davis quartet to come in and play it live from the sound booth next door? What a waste....

Any dealership that invents non words (un-new, for heaven's sake) to describe used products is clearly more interested in marketing than hifi.

To sort-of defend them, I think their musical choice is constrained by what they're trying to demonstrate - that is, the same recording over all formats - R2R, cassette, vinyl, CD and hi-res streaming. I daresay it's quite difficult to get all of these for modern releases, and perhaps only the 'old favourites' could be sourced.

But I'm with you on 'un-new'. Is that when a new thing has been bitten and has not yet fully turned into a 'full used'?

Also, I rather like Acoustic Alchemy. Reminds me of the winter of 1995 when I heard them on Jazz FM on my new-at-the-time commute into the middle of London. So it's indelibly associated with a time and a place....

I'd love to be going but it's simply too far from me.

Elite are a good dealer - always ready to do a good deal and give great trade in prices.

advertisement

Back