advertisement

Mustang E

We both need a car for work and the Volvo is worth about £500 with 170k miles, it would not take much to go wrong to make it not worth fixing. The new car will do about 12k a year.

120 winter miles still sounds a bit of a con, it really is putting me off thinking of getting one atm, will come back to this in a few years time me thinks.

120 miles would be a no-go for me as well. Is there any of the review sites that give realistic winter ranges for EV's?

120 winter miles still sounds a bit of a con, it really is putting me off thinking of getting one atm, will come back to this in a few years time me thinks.

It depends on each persons driving requirements and how often you need to drive 120+ miles without having a stop/break. The general rule is that you should have a break every 2 hours anyway, which gives an opportunity for some top-up charging. Someone like a sales rep doing high mileage journeys frequently would need a very good electric range and might get cheesed off with the planning needed to get from A-B-C-D-E-A etc. However, many people only travel further afield very infrequently and could workaround charging with stops. The average UK motorist journey is only 8.4 miles:

average_car_journey_trip_distance_3

Last edited:

(I didn’t know, but I learnt you can buy a battery heater, to give a boost to range in winter, probably a good option to choose when buying, but should be free :)).

That's an i3 though, more of a city car/urban vehicle I'd say. I'd only expect 120+ miles to be needed very occasionally for someone considering one.

Most family sized cars or SUVs are going to be well over 200 even worst case scenario I reckon, if not more.

Given I've slagged off SUVs, ironically the only EV that appeals to me is the iPace- for me it has the perfect combination of design, features and performance without looking too much like a child/dog carrying utility vehicle. All moot anyway as I have neither the means or somewhere to charge it!

We both need a car for work and the Volvo is worth about £500 with 170k miles, it would not take much to go wrong to make it not worth fixing. The new car will do about 12k a year.

Let's say there's a £500 car that needs £2500 in repairs, after which it may be good for a few more years. In my book that's still an economic repair, since it's equivalent to about three or four months worth of new car payments.

If, however, there's still the threat of more expensive repairs cropping up soon, that's a different story. It depends on whether or not the car's overall condition is a known quantity.

It depends on each persons driving requirements and how often you need to drive 120+ without having a stop/break.

My use case is a little unusual as it's 160 miles between my house and cottage, and I do that drive twice a week usually. It's usually around 2:30 to 2:45 so is too short to need a stop - especially a longish one to charge a car. It's also a hilly and often cold trip as well (the cottage is in the Cairngorms, in the highest village in the Highlands).

I'm warming to the idea of an EV (especially as my company is joining one of the schemes next year) but not if it can't do that trip easily on a single charge (plus it also has to be of a similar size and capacity as my Merc estate).

That's an i3 though, more of a city car/urban vehicle I'd say. I'd only expect 120+ miles to be needed very occasionally for someone considering one.

Most family sized cars or SUVs are going to be well over 200 even worst case scenario I reckon, if not more.

Given I've slagged off SUVs, ironically the only EV that appeals to me is the iPace- for me it has the perfect combination of design, features and performance without looking too much like a child/dog carrying utility vehicle. All moot anyway as I have neither the means or somewhere to charge it!

Good point, I thought it was an ID3, cheers Matt.

I’d imagine they’re going to be very good in future, personally don’t think they’re there yet (for me).

The Jag does look good/goes well.

(I didn’t know, but I learnt you can buy a battery heater, to give a boost to range in winter, probably a good option to choose when buying, but should be free :)).

@JTC, apologies, I read it that you were talking about the ID3, so, 120 for the i3 ain’t too bad at all.

I intend to drive the Volvo into the ground. It is really useful to chuck stuff in it and not worry about it getting filthy inside. It’s also nice when some tosser tries to cut in on a roundabout or at the last minute on motorway roadworks. They always back off ehen I don’t give way. :)

My use case is a little unusual as it's 160 miles between my house and cottage, and I do that drive twice a week usually. It's usually around 2:30 to 2:45 so is too short to need a stop - especially a longish one to charge a car. It's also a hilly and often cold trip as well (the cottage is in the Cairngorms, in the highest village in the Highlands).

I'm warming to the idea of an EV (especially as my company is joining one of the schemes next year) but not if it can't do that trip easily on a single charge (plus it also has to be of a similar size and capacity as my Merc estate).

quite a few EVs can already do this distance on a single charge even in winter, including the car in the thread title. No reason not to go for one next year if the company scheme is a good one

Much to my surprise an i Pace is coming out not much more. Driving the Mustang and iPace tomorrow. I think I know which one SWMBO will prefer.

@JTC, apologies, I read it that you were talking about the ID3, so, 120 for the i3 ain’t too bad at all.
Yeah, the i3s is a superb car but is sorely in need of a 60KWh battery (the 120Ah translates to about 43KWh). However, word on the street is that the carbon fibre tub and eclectic construction made it a very expensive car for BMW to make so it's no surprise they're discontinuing it. Which is a shame, but understandable. It is a great car, if a little unusual in its design. It's also surprisingly quick and almost the perfect vehicle for a moderate commute into the city. I don't really want to change from it, but my boys are growing, the dogs could do with a touch more space and a bit more range wouldn't be a bad thing. Wouldn't consider the Mach E, the iPace is already a bit outdated, but the new Kia/Hyundais look decent. However, taking into account ecosystem as well as car, it's difficult to look further than the forthcoming Model Y in long-range form.

However, taking into account ecosystem as well as car, it's difficult to look further than the forthcoming Model Y in long-range form.

I agree, in many aspects it is the best EV in this segment, but boy does it look hideous. I just couldn't own one.

I agree, in many aspects it is the best EV in this segment, but boy does it look hideous. I just couldn't own one.
It doesn't look hideous from all angles, though it is definitely not to everyone's taste. Just that awkward dip at the rear passenger windows that annoys me. It's far nicer looking than the abhorrent grilles on the latest BMWs, for instance.

Yeah, the i3s is a superb car but is sorely in need of a 60KWh battery (the 120Ah translates to about 43KWh). However, word on the street is that the carbon fibre tub and eclectic construction made it a very expensive car for BMW to make so it's no surprise they're discontinuing it. Which is a shame, but understandable. It is a great car, if a little unusual in its design. It's also surprisingly quick and almost the perfect vehicle for a moderate commute into the city. I don't really want to change from it, but my boys are growing, the dogs could do with a touch more space and a bit more range wouldn't be a bad thing. Wouldn't consider the Mach E, the iPace is already a bit outdated, but the new Kia/Hyundais look decent. However, taking into account ecosystem as well as car, it's difficult to look further than the forthcoming Model Y in long-range form.

I’ve always been a fan of the i3, just right side of quirky/funky, definitely a bit of a head turner. Never been in one to feel the acceleration, but remember seeing one once setting off very sprightly indeed. Didn’t know they had carbon fibre gubbings!

Tesla are appealing on a number of fronts, the charger network, in car tech., their range and performance, but obviously for this you pay, here’s one https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicleadvert/tesla/model 3 saloon/1141140?icid=search-result, £48k, having said that, 3.1 sec to 60 is not to be sniffed at!

I'm another i3 fan, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I needed a daily driver and had access to home charging. I think they're great cars.

advertisement

Back