advertisement

New Celestion Ditton 66s.

newnaim

pfm Member
ALCHRIS AUDIO have come up with a replica Celestion Ditton 66 speaker. This has a similar look and based on the sound signature of the classic original speakers. There are a few innovations to improve the design and sound so looking forward to hearing this, the model number is the ALCHRIS AR 66. Price around £ 4500.

ALCHRIS AUDIO have come up with a replica Celestion Ditton 66 speaker. This has a similar look and based on the sound signature of the classic original speakers. There are a few innovations to improve the design and sound so looking forward to hearing this, the model number is the ALCHRIS AR 66. Price around £ 4500.
I wasn't expecting that! Very interesting indeed. Good to see that the acoustic centres between the HF/MF and MF/LF are as close as practical.

I notice the LF/MF crossover point is 450Hz instead of 500Hz which suggests the new dome mid is capable of handling larger excursions than the original, especially if they're claiming a power handling of 300w for the complete loudspeaker.

I was looking at these speakers the other day and they could be a contender for me.

But I'm a little scared by the notion of a 'sound signature' - what exactly might this be?

I was looking at these speakers the other day and they could be a contender for me.

But I'm a little scared by the notion of a 'sound signature' - what exactly might this be?
All loudspeaker designs have a 'sound signature', this is what makes one design sound different from another.
One would assume the AR-66 has been designed to sound similar to the original Ditton 66.

For 4.5K I would expect it to sound a lot better than a vintage speaker as the design blurb implies, even if it is a classic.

Are loudspeaker producers looking to give each design a ‘sound signature’ as such? Surely we want them to be as neutral as the rest of our systems. Like when I’ve heard certain TAD speakers, they just don’t draw attention to any particular aspect of the sound and I just marvel at their transparency and overall cohesion.

Of course different components and designs give different sounds, but a recognisable ‘signature’ as such isn’t something I want imposed on the music, much the same as ‘house sounds’ don’t appeal to me.

Just my take on it.

I think we have to accept that all speakers have a house sound ,if not lots of speakers would just sound the same ,just compare a pair of Harbeth, JBL, Quad ,Naim SBLs, all sound different some good for Classical music, some for Rock ,transparence speakers can sound horrible with some Rock music ,this is all down to personal taste and type of music you listen to.

just my take on it.

It's a classic design and 2nd hand prices are Garard stupid these days for a good pair. Not my mug of bovril though...

If a loudspeaker can't sound great with all different types of music there's something wrong with the design or the rest of the system being used with them. My old Tannoys sounded awesome with classical but never quite gave me what I wanted from rock / pop so I moved them on.

I notice the LF/MF crossover point is 450Hz instead of 500Hz which suggests the new dome mid is capable of handling larger excursions than the original, especially if they're claiming a power handling of 300w for the complete loudspeaker.

It looks like the Scanspeak D7608/920010. A nice feature is the grill protection behind the dome to stop it being pushed in.

advertisement

Back