advertisement

RIP Peter Skinner (passkinn)

mik bhavnani

pfm Member
I write to inform members of this forum that Peter Skinner has departed from this world Some of the older member may remember passkin peter skinner, he was a regular contributor here and a long standing audiophile until 2016. Peter did appear on this forum again last year to inform everyone I was in hospital with covid right at the beginning. I first met peter when I was 12, 36 years ago before my career in audio he was selling a cartridge in hifi answers I responded to the Adverstisment he agreed for me to pay him £10 a month as i had no money back then. Peter asked me to come to his work place which was Bush house in Holboln this was at the BBC I soon found out he was the news room editor, he was taken aback by my passion as a twelve year old and more taken aback I had a Alpason Sonata and my father owned a host of turntables and had had a lp12 at 10. Peter kindly took me for a tour took me for a tour of the BBC site with my brother since that day we became very good friends he was like a father and mentor, he helped me start Unique Audio when I was 14 at the time. He had already owned the likes of Goldmund's pink triangles big Krell,s apogees Koetsu's he purchased a audio reseaRch sp11 for £5000 new in the 80s which was a huge sum back then etc and this was in the 80s he was a very serious player in the hobby well before my time. I recall him taking a krell amp in the train to get it repaired in 1985 and he did the same for a pink triangle pt too. I would always visit the Penta show with him and there was a period of 20 years where we would speak on the phone everyday about audio. I arranged for Camron Aikman to visit his house when he purchased one of the early Sme 30/12 turntables in 2009 and was very fond of Sme as a brand he owned several model 30,s and a host of other turntables including a spj alba and la luce which he purchased from another friend Paul Benson and vpi's. I He visited many of my customers and heard their systems quite often he would sell a bit of kit privately as he was always changing. I lost count with the number of Jeff Rowland and krell amps he owned together with Jadis at one time, his last years was spent with horns and very low powered valve amps of various types and was a only into records no other medium did it for him. He had a real serious passion for the hobby in 2016 hIs passion lessoned and I purchased his entire system and his records but he still maintained an interest and would often chat about the hobby and his constant search for audio nirvana and if it existed. Some might remember his interest in voigt domestic corner horns and set out to have a pair built. I will most certainly miss my old friend who I owe a lot too we are all just visitors to this world all is temporary but we are fortunate to meet so many interesting personalities during this short visit here. Hopefully we can use this time wisely and understand our real purpose. I spoke to him while he was in hospital on Friday he, left us on Sunday I sadly never got to visit him I planned to this week.I will miss my old friend who I knew for so many years and one who was so generous.

Last edited:
Oh, that is sad news. Didn't think I'd seen anything by him in a long time. Thanks for the potted history, didn't realise he'd had such a passion and interest TBH.
Best wishes.
RIP passkin.

Sorry to hear this, I remember him well. Hadn’t realised it’d been that long since he posted, it’s surprising how quickly time passes.

RIP Peter.

Sorry to hear this. Like others, I hadn't noticed that he wasn't around, but I do remember his contributions. He sounds like a remarkable person, and I'm sure his friends and family feel his loss. My best wishes to all those close to him.

I write to inform members of this forum that Peter Skinner has departed from this world Some of the older member may remember passkin peter skinner, he was a regular contributor here and a long standing audiophile until 2016. Peter did appear on this forum again last year to inform everyone I was in hospital with covid right at the beginning. I first met peter when I was 12, 36 years ago before my career in audio he was selling a cartridge in hifi answers I responded to the Adverstisment he agreed for me to pay him £10 a month as i had no money back then. Peter asked me to come to his work place which was Bush house in Holboln this was at the BBC I soon found out he was the news room editor, he was taken aback by my passion as a twelve year old and more taken aback I had a alpason sonata and my father owned a host of turntables and had had a lp12 at 10. Peter kindly took me for a tour took me for a tour of the bbc site with my brother since that day we became very good friends he was like a father and mentor, he helped me start Unique Audio when I was 14 at the time. He had already owned the likes of Goldmund's pink triangles big Krell,s apogees Koetsu's he purchased a audio reseach sp11 for £5000 new in the 80s which was a huge sum back then etc and this was in the 80s he was a very serious player in the hobby well before my time. I recall him taking a krell amp in the train to get it repaired in 1985 and he did the same for a pink triangle pt too. I would always visit the Penta show with him and there was a period of 20 years where we would speak on the phone everyday about audio. I arranged for camron aikman to visit his house when he purchased one of the early Sme 30/12 turntables in 2009 and was very fond of Sme as a brand he owned several model 30,s and a host of other turntables including spj,s and vpi's. He had a real serious passion for the hobby in 2016 hIs passion lessoned and I purchased his entire system and his records but he still maintained an interest and would often chat about the hobby and his constant search for audio nirvana and if it existed. Some might remember his interest in voigt domestic corner horns and set out to have a pair built. I will most certainly miss my old friend who I owe a lot too we are all just visitors to this world all is temporary but we are fortunate to meet so many interesting personalities during this short visit here. Hopefully we can use this time wisely and understand our real purpose. I spoke to him last while he was in hospital on Friday he left us on Sunday I sadly never got to visit him I planned to this week.
I knew Pete, I used to go to his house and listen to his quite amazing hi fi..what a nice bloke he was..last time I heard he was going to live in Portugal? He had those speakers built by his brother in law I believe..very sad to hear of his passing..

@mik bhavnani

Thank you for letting us know, and painting an endearing portrait for the rest of us.
I too fondly remember the development and detail of Peter's Voight corner horns (of course one needs a stereo pair!), and generosity in sharing his interest and experience here.

Peter was my oldest friend. We were the same age, born in 1949, and first became friends at school aged about five. We were also "blood brothers" from about the age of eight; we'd read how to do it in the book Last of the Mohicans and we took our sheath-knives to school, slashed our thumbs and mingled the blood. We really got it in the neck from the headmaster when word spread around the school!

In later years we would spend hours at each others houses listening to kit and swapping stuff around, as you do. Peter had very strong views on things and we would have the most spectacular arguments and stop talking to each other for a few weeks, but always remained friends. Like Mik says, he was extremely generous and he gave me loads of bits of kit over the years much of which I still have and use. My Jadis amp was his originally. We also used to play chess together and he was much better than me! I will miss him hugely.

RIP Peter.

Peter was my oldest friend. We were the same age, born in 1949, and first became friends at school aged about five. We were also "blood brothers" from about the age of eight; we'd read how to do it in the book Last of the Mohicans and we took our sheath-knives to school, slashed our thumbs and mingled the blood. We really got it in the neck from the headmaster when word spread around the school!

In later years we would spend hours at each others houses listening to kit and swapping stuff around, as you do. Peter had very strong views on things and we would have the most spectacular arguments and stop talking to each other for a few weeks, but always remained friends. Like Mik says, he was extremely generous and he gave me loads of bits of kit over the years much of which I still have and use. My Jadis amp was his originally. We also used to play chess together and he was much better than me! I will miss him hugely.

RIP Peter.

Peter would always mention you, his old friend Mick Mathews and how you grew up together. I too had a few aruments that was in some ways the way he expressed his affection we used to argue on who had more opinions lol then he would put the phone down and call me back after some time and say let's be friends. He had a big heart and loved to share I remember the chess club in Hastings the Jadis amp you use was one of my many demonstrators.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back