advertisement

New turntable advice

Choosing a TT I found a real challenge, loads of different configurations. And there were quite a few I could have happily lived with but my 2 clear favourites were the Roksan Xerxes and Avid Volvere. But budget is of course the ultimate determinate.

Regards,

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,

I have just changed my turntable to a Kuzma Stabi R with a Viv Labs Rigid Float 9" arm and an Ortofon SPU Royal N, suffice to say I am very happy.

If you speak to Kevin at Definitive Audio he would tell you that whilst the Stabi M is marginally better, most people chose the Stabi R as they find it very difficult to justify the £10,000 extra on such a marginal gain.

I listened to the 4point 9", Rigid Float 9" and Stogi 313 reference, using an Ortofon SPU Royal N. The 4point is very punchy and dynamic, the 313 sounded matter of fact, a bit boring really, the RF was just as punchy and dynamic as the 4point but was more organic, it just seemed to let the music flow a bit more, the icing on the cake is that I got the RF 9" for a good price as he is rationalizing his stock.

Kevin has all the facilities to listen to all the 4point arms, Rigid Floats with 3 Stabi R's at his disposal. His cartridge of choice will be the SPU Royal N and at £1250 it is a veritable bargain, he told me that it is his favourite cartridge full stop, now considering that is comparing to Kondo's, Fuuga, VDH's etc etc.

The £10,000 you save on the Stabi R vice the M would allow you to put second arm say a 4point 14" and cartridge on the Stabi R, the world is your oyster.

Hope this is of help.

Best regards, Alan

Have you heard a Nima on a modern(ish) LP12?

Might be worth trying to get a listen, it’s what I’m using myself, had a modded Rega P5/Nima previously and the LP12 retains the speed and slam of that deck but with the addition of an expansive sound stage and greater detail.

The old Pink Triangle turntables were superb. When I bought my deck - Amazon Model One - I got it because it was the closest thing to the PT Anniversary.
I picked up a Townshend Elite Rock 2 Second hand which I have modified beyond recognition - Berger LAhrs Motor - Bernard Fuss two phase power supply - Origin Live Belt - Acrylic platter - still less than 1000 - This is a seriously good piece of kit and is very much like master tape in terms of being neutral.
One has to consider associated equipment at all times IMHO. A great deck can't deliver on its' premise without a good cartridge, arm, amplification and speakers - but hey - here goes the carousel...

Agreed The Pink Triangle GTI Export ( True Point Audio fettled ) sounds blooming amazing- and these are not too expensive in hifi terms if you can find a looked after one.

Hi Lindsay,

I have just changed my turntable to a Kuzma Stabi R with a Viv Labs Rigid Float 9" arm and an Ortofon SPU Royal N, suffice to say I am very happy.

If you speak to Kevin at Definitive Audio he would tell you that whilst the Stabi M is marginally better, most people chose the Stabi R as they find it very difficult to justify the £10,000 extra on such a marginal gain.

I listened to the 4point 9", Rigid Float 9" and Stogi 313 reference, using an Ortofon SPU Royal N. The 4point is very punchy and dynamic, the 313 sounded matter of fact, a bit boring really, the RF was just as punchy and dynamic as the 4point but was more organic, it just seemed to let the music flow a bit more, the icing on the cake is that I got the RF 9" for a good price as he is rationalizing his stock.

Kevin has all the facilities to listen to all the 4point arms, Rigid Floats with 3 Stabi R's at his disposal. His cartridge of choice will be the SPU Royal N and at £1250 it is a veritable bargain, he told me that it is his favourite cartridge full stop, now considering that is comparing to Kondo's, Fuuga, VDH's etc etc.

The £10,000 you save on the Stabi R vice the M would allow you to put second arm say a 4point 14" and cartridge on the Stabi R, the world is your oyster.

Hope this is of help.

Best regards, Alan
Any chance of sharing some photos of the new deck please!

Well. Four year old thread. Wonder where @Seanm went with his setup?
I got a Gyro soon after, which gave me both the drive and the sense of space I was looking for, once I'd got the right arm (Funk FXR). Swapping out the springs for Pete’s Pylons made it better still and I was perfectly satisfied with the setup - until an Orbe appeared in the classifieds here. That was quite a big jump in terms of solidity and heft, and I don’t think I can do better. Which is a shame in a way as there are still lots of decks I’d like to try. I probably will continue to experiment, but not with a view to replacing the Orbe.
Have you heard a Nima on a modern(ish) LP12?

Might be worth trying to get a listen, it’s what I’m using myself, had a modded Rega P5/Nima previously and the LP12 retains the speed and slam of that deck but with the addition of an expansive sound stage and greater detail.
Cheers, I’d still like to try an LP12 at some stage, ideally with a Nima.

They do make a good combination. The reason I mention a later LP12 is the more up to date models are leaner, tighter sounding decks and work particularly well with the Nima. I love it but need a better cartridge on mine now really (using an Ortofon Quintet Blue which is great VFM, but definitely the bottleneck). I reckon something from Dynavector would hit the spot.

Funnily enough, I’d love to try an Orbe, but not to replace the LP12.

I got a Gyro soon after, which gave me both the drive and the sense of space I was looking for, once I'd got the right arm (Funk FXR). Swapping out the springs for Pete’s Pylons made it better still and I was perfectly satisfied with the setup - until an Orbe appeared in the classifieds here. That was quite a big jump in terms of solidity and heft, and I don’t think I can do better. Which is a shame in a way as there are still lots of decks I’d like to try. I probably will continue to experiment, but not with a view to replacing the Orbe.

@Seanm I've recently moved to a Gyro SE but with a newly serviced/rebuilt SME 309 arm. I'm very happy with it but have been wondering whether Pete's Pylons or the Solid Air Pylons would be a worthwhile change? I've seen it said that they can suck the life out of the Gyro but that's clearly not your experience. What would you say was the main benefit of Pete's Pylons? Did you find them easy to fit? Did you also consider the Solid Air Pylons?

@Seanm I've recently moved to a Gyro SE but with a newly serviced/rebuilt SME 309 arm. I'm very happy with it but have been wondering whether Pete's Pylons or the Solid Air Pylons would be a worthwhile change? I've seen it said that they can suck the life out of the Gyro but that's clearly not your experience. What would you say was the main benefit of Pete's Pylons? Did you find them easy to fit? Did you also consider the Solid Air Pylons?
Yes I couldn’t see any downside, really: better definition, attack, tauter bass, but no loss of air or width. Easy to fit - they just replace the springs on the turrets - but a bit of a faff getting them made in the first place: Michell changed the size of the holes in the chassis over the years, it seems, so you have to do a bit of measuring to get the right match. Never considered the Solid Air as I didn’t get the logic: they just seem to defeat the isolation system, rather than altering it. Mind you I’m not an engineer and there are a lot of things I don’t get.

Anyway mine are in a drawer - I wanted to keep the Orbe as is it was the moment I heard it - so you’re welcome to borrow them. It’s just you’ll have to do a bit of measuring to see if they’ll fit.

Yes I couldn’t see any downside, really: better definition, attack, tauter bass, but no loss of air or width. Easy to fit - they just replace the springs on the turrets - but a bit of a faff getting them made in the first place: Michell changed the size of the holes in the chassis over the years, it seems, so you have to do a bit of measuring to get the right match. Never considered the Solid Air as I didn’t get the logic: they just seem to defeat the isolation system, rather than altering it. Mind you I’m not an engineer and there are a lot of things I don’t get.

Anyway mine are in a drawer - I wanted to keep the Orbe as is it was the moment I heard it - so you’re welcome to borrow them. It’s just you’ll have to do a bit of measuring to see if they’ll fit.
Thanks Sean, that's very generous of you. I'll have a look at measuring the chassis holes and get back to you.

An Oracle, Well Tempered or a Fully Funk Vectored LP 12, all assuming the current Dunlop offerings are a tad above budget. Saying that some of the PTP Lencos I have built, given away or sold have me wondering if I'm right in the head?

advertisement

Back